GDT: 1/10/2014, the visiting John Tavares Islanders take on your Colorado Avalanche

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs won the game the first five times a game went to OT. After that they've lost five out of six games that went to OT. I guess we can't complain overall, even if it's frustrating to just get one point out of these games lately.

They probably should be better than 2-3 in the SO, with Varlamov and the shooters they have.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't know if it's possible but Mitchell and Holden might have negative hockey IQ. Always in the wrong position for their teammates or making the wrong decision with the puck. I wonder if the coaching staff watches film with them and asks what the hell they're thinking on certain plays.

Sarich gave me O'Byrne flashbacks tonight. He was awful.

I also thought Duchene was one of our worst forwards. He was having a lot of problems with the puck.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I don't know if it's possible but Mitchell and Holden might have negative hockey IQ. Always in the wrong position for their teammates or making the wrong decision with the puck. I wonder if the coaching staff watches film with them and asks what the hell they're thinking on certain plays.

Sarich gave me O'Byrne flashbacks tonight. He was awful.

I also thought Duchene was one of our worst forwards. He was having a lot of problems with the puck.
I thought he looked great. Could have had a hattrick with more puck luck tonight.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
I'm honestly quite satisfied with three points from the last two games considering the lineup we have iced.

Dallas lost too.

This. Comparing both teams' groups of forwards and defensemen I would have given the edge to the Isles in both departments and also did Poulin play a surprisingly solid game. You're in trouble when you have Mitchell, Cliche, McLeod, Bordeleau, Malone AND vdG in your lineup and we've all known Sarich and Holden as well.

Mant*

141010AvsIslesDuchene.jpg

I don't know why this made me laugh so much haha

It's like he's in that movie, The Ring.

So anyway... 4-1-2 on the homestand is pretty good. Don't like how Barrie played the puck in the offensive zone that lead to the overtime breakaway. Bad decision lead to that goal. Oh well.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Fun game although the Avs lost and although it was such a low scoring affair. Avs were down a complete scoring line - and not a bad one. They also had to deal with Holden in their lineup which didn't make things easier.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Mackinnon is only a goal away from tying Duchene for the teams leading goal scorer. Pretty amazing, Duchene's been on a bit of a cold streak though.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Considering we are putting guys out that are suspect, I'm thrilled with the ten points. Tonight we played ok against a hot team. I was freaking when I saw Holden on a PP...? What
I must be crazy but Holden?

Well, to be fair, if he's not out there on the power play, he REALLY serves no purpose. He at least has decent hands and a wicked shot, it's just everything else about his game that's terrible. Unfortunately you run a huge risk having him out there even a man up...the minute someone gets behind him it's Game Over. I don't ever recall a defenseman in the NHL who was/is more helpless in that situation.

So duchy was fine, just cannot okay without support. Madmac was flying and had great goal. Dvdg looked ok, McLeod was ok, talbot keeps playing tough minutes but again wishing he was a little more agile.
Well, I guess mini will test us.. Hope we can score some goals.

Not sure what Duchene's problem was last night. He wasn't getting into the dirty areas of the ice where he does his trademark power moves down low. He was just kinda hanging on the perimeter, floating even. He's definitely very uncomfortable right now.

McGinn is actually a decent linemate for him or MacKinnon to have since he doesn't really need the puck all that much. So long as he continues to crash the net, create space for his linemates, and work hard for rebounds/deflections, he's effective. It's MacK and Dutchy who don't work well together since both need the puck...also why Malkin doesn't work well with just about anyone save Bordeleau/McLeod.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Mackinnon is only a goal away from tying Duchene for the teams leading goal scorer. Pretty amazing, Duchene's been on a bit of a cold streak though.

MacKinnon has made a big difference on the team. Some games I'm not sure we win or get points in if he hadn't scored. I expect Duchene to finish as the points and goal leader for this team but I would not be surprised if MacKinnon was second or third in goals or even scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad