1/10/19 Sole Possession of Last Place

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Oh goodie last in the league only to pick 3rd and miss out on another good player *cough* Kane, and get another ham slammer like Fatty-V-R

Reactions: Lotusflower

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
personally, I love it.

I hope we lose every remaining game, 1-0, which means Hart plays well.

I want Hughes

They need a player like Hughes otherwise this entire building process is one big wank off.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Let's continue to play the vets though! Fans don't want to see Myers, NAK or Friedman, give us more of AMac and Weise!

MacDonald is a character guy. He has to stay in because of his character. And don't believe the rumours that this team has absolutely no character whatsoever.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
There will be huge changes coming starting at the trade deadline and continuing into the off season. $30.2 mil in cap space going into next season and possibly more if they buyout Macdonald. Anyone have a free agent wish list?

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
So say you finish 31st but someone else gets drawn out for the 1st overall pick. What are your odds of getting the 2nd overall, or the 3rd? Surely the chance of falling outside the top 3 is very low?

Reactions: Lotusflower

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A top five pick would be fine, you can blow it, but most years you get a top starter who'll be in the lineup by 2020-21.

This has been a freak season, I don't think they're this bad, but the roster needs to be rebuilt.
A season like this will give Fletcher the carte blanche I suspect Hextall never had to make changes.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
So say you finish 31st but someone else gets drawn out for the 1st overall pick. What are your odds of getting the 2nd overall, or the 3rd? Surely the chance of falling outside the top 3 is very low?
2019 NHL Draft Lottery Odds | Tankathon

They redid the lottery odds after everyone bitched about tanking for McDavid. There is actually a greater chance the pick lands outside the top 3, though they do have the best odds to land a top 3 pick

WheresMySnare

Mar 9, 2018
MacDonald is a character guy. He has to stay in because of his character. And don't believe the rumours that this team has absolutely no character whatsoever.

Exactly, all the veteran character and veteran locker room presence is why we're so good this........oh wait

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
That's the whole point of being this bad though.
If we're the worst team in the league by merit then we should at least have a solid shot at a franchise player thru luck.

Rather finish last and be guaranteed a top 4 pick basically than finish 3rd and now its a coin flip.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
“We had two decent centres, seventy-five different goalies, five young prospects, a Gritty santa sack half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored veterans, plugs, cap dumps, used coaches...and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen hockey pucks. Not that we needed all that for the road trip, but once you get locked into a serious losing streak, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.”

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
This is a transition year. Coach and GM fired, changes coming, nobody feels safe, they are all anxious and lost. Also, they play under a coach which they know is just an interim coach.

Not a credible indicator of our success next year and the following years. They just need to do the right moves at the deadline and in the summer. Next year it begins.

It's rare, but I'm fine with being dead last this year. It's a lost year anyway. Enjoy the high pick and be ready to compete right after. Just please don't start another long rebuild process.

Oh so next year the rebuild begins..... the years under Hextall were the pre-rebuild years. Got it.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
If you're gonna lose, do it right!

We also own a pathetic, league worst -37 goal differential.

But what is the CORSI. And 5v5 % rates aren't that bad. Stop talking about stats tied to actual goals allowed. I thought most of the issue was just plain bad luck. Its not the players......

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Make no mistake about it, at this point they are tanking. If they weren't Gordon wouldn't be the coach and Fletcher would have already made a big trade. They are gearing up for a 2007 like deadline, draft, and free agency period.

No legit NHL coach would take this job in-season.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
But what is the CORSI. And 5v5 % rates aren't that bad. Stop talking about stats tied to actual goals allowed. I thought most of the issue was just plain bad luck. Its not the players......

I'm not the one to ask about CORSI. Others are more qualified for that.

I'm merely pointing out the goal differential in a thread celebrating "we're the worst". I'm not implying anything other than that. It's been posted repeatedly that 5 v 5 is not the main issue. Goaltending and special teams are the main culprit.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I went to Tankathon and it took me like 7 pulls just to get the #2. All of the others were #4.
Which is perfectly normal as 4th is the most probable outcome for the 31st team.
The NHL lottery rules give the 4th worse team a lousy 2.8% chance of actually drafting 4th. Same goes for 3rd worse. 3rd pick is lowest outcome.
Odds get back to "normal" (8th should draft 8th) after the 7th pick.
So unless we are lucky we should pick 4th if we finish last. Keep looking at other prospects than Hughes and Kappo.
I dont see us being lucky twice in a row.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
A couple nights ago, I caught Robert Esche on Vancouver sports radio and he had some interesting comments about the importance of a winning culture.

Rebound Rob is in senior management for the Utica Comets, the farm club for the Canucks, and he was asked about what would make a successful season for an AHL club. Is it player development, a deep playoff run, just making the playoffs, etc? Given that there could be movement of good players up to the big club, in this case Thatcher Demko being recalled to the Canucks, would it be reasonable to expect playoff success every year for an AHL affiliate?

His answer surprised me, but it shouldn't have. He said that building a winning culture is extremely important in his eyes because that will have lasting impact for the players in the NHL. He told the story of how he came into the NHL ranks through the Coyotes organization, but everything changed when he was traded to Philly. He basically said that Ed Snider had the 'winning isn't everything, its the only thing' mentality which was significantly different than what he saw in Phoenix.

This mentality can obviously lead to bad moves shooting for the moon, but it has really felt like a different organization since the Bryzaster.

With all of the cap space the Flyers will have this summer, even more after they move Simmer, I really hope they take a legit shot at Karlsson if he passes on the Sharks. I was happy to go along with Hextall's patient plan, but this upper management meddling has shown that Comcast wasn't on board. Go big or go home and bring back some of that Snider snarl.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad