1-0-0 in the Vanek era

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Please, so tired of the "boo Desharnais, poor Eller" narrative on this board. Desharnais plays with Pacioretty because it works and has worked for more or less since their entire time together in the organization. Eller's dip in production started while he was still on the EGG line, and to shoulder the blame off him and onto everyone else (Desharnais, Therrien, Eller's linemates) for Eller's 1 assist in 30 games or whatever it is is just ridiculous.

Team's winning. Desharnais' line is clicking. Eller has to figure it out for himself. The end.

Did DD have to figure it out for himself too or was he given sheltered minutes along with our 2 best wingers? And how many points did DD get during his slump that lasted since last season? It works because it has to work. He's completely useless at anything else.

For the record I'm not even a fan of Eller's. I wanted Perron or Oshie at the time but when Eller is on, he is a game changer. Or what about putting our franchise player on the fast path of development. Instead he is being stunted. DD is going to be shutdown so hard in the playoffs.

Vanek.

habitue*

Did DD have to figure it out for himself too or was he given sheltered minutes along with our 2 best wingers? And how many points did DD get during his slump that lasted since last season? It works because it has to work. He's completely useless at anything else.

For the record I'm not even a fan of Eller's. I wanted Perron or Oshie at the time but when Eller is on, he is a game changer. Or what about putting our franchise player on the fast path of development. Instead he is being stunted. DD is going to be shutdown so hard in the playoffs.

Vanek.

OMG. I'M gonna laugh all afternoon, now...

Karl Pilkington

Feb 25, 2004
Ottawa
www.canadiens.com
Lucked out points against the Pens and the Red Wings. Looked terrible against the kings despite the score being 2-1. Deserved to win against the Leafs. Last night could have gone either way...a fantastic first, a putrid second period and an undisciplined third. If Getzlaf had a little more accuracy he would have had a hatrick last night with his 3 posts.

If the Canadiens don't tighten up their game, they'll get bounced early. This team has never been so talented, but the biggest flaw is behind the bench.

I wish you'd bounce...

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

Wow. I thought I was the only one. I always maintained that Eller was not the right move and at the time we needed someone more established because I knew we would not be able to develop him.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
If the Canadiens don't tighten up their game, they'll get bounced early. This team has never been so talented, but the biggest flaw is behind the bench.

But we're winning games. Nothing to see here. :handclap:

I'm a little worried. We are getting dominated more often than not but still winning games. This is not sustainable. I just don't see us being this lucky in the playoffs. Vanek should help, though.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Please, so tired of the "boo Desharnais, poor Eller" narrative on this board. Desharnais plays with Pacioretty because it works and has worked for more or less since their entire time together in the organization. Eller's dip in production started while he was still on the EGG line, and to shoulder the blame off him and onto everyone else (Desharnais, Therrien, Eller's linemates) for Eller's 1 assist in 30 games or whatever it is is just ridiculous.

Team's winning. Desharnais' line is clicking. Eller has to figure it out for himself. The end.

How did you like Briere Bourque and Weise? I thought they were pretty useless all night.

I agree, the whole DD vs Eller discussion is beyond Pejorative Slured.
So none of what I say has a thing to do with DD. But Eller had already figured it out for himself last year. As much as you want to say DD earned himself some trust because he performed well with MaxPac in the past, well Eller earned himself some trust for getting out of the dog house all by himself last year.
I don't have an issue with him being scratched yesterday. I do expect him to come back and be given better wingers though. Not only is it in Eller's best interest, but it's also in the team's. Having a productive 3rd line helps everybody.

To say that he had stopped producing while on the EGG line is misleading though. He had a drop in production, which 3rd liner (or even 2nd liner) doesn't go through streaks?? After they got split up, he played with Galchenyuk and Prust, he scored 4pts in 9gp, then Galchenyuk was removed from his line which is when his dip took a hard hit with 4pts in 33gp. Over that stretch, he got no playing time with top 6 players except for a couple of shifts with Gally when he came back from injury. That's it. Is that a coincidence?? Well no. I don't think it is.
Scratch him as much as you want, if Bourque keeps playing as he is and we give him Moen or Weise, Eller will only collect a point here or there, especially considering are grinding style. That's it.

Eller went through a little streak while on the EGG line. But they weren't playing poorly. Eller and Galchenyuk even explained their drop in production to the press after a game as they discussed how it was a little harder now that they were given tougher match ups and responsibilities. But instead of sticking with them, and letting them adapt, they got split up, with Eller getting the shorter end of the stick.

Does this mean Eller played his best hockey over this bad stretch of his? Of course not. But his line was such a poorly constructed one. I mean really..

Getting Vanek is great for us. I'm hoping Therrien doesn't crap the bed though.
I want to see Eller back in the line up, with Galy on his side with Briere there to start (if Briere can't keep up, alternate with Prust or Bourque, see what fits best). Hopefully that will help our depth and we can go back to being a more dangerous team offensively.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Well, first, Eller isn't a game changer. Period. He isn't no Kovalev who is inconsistent but can change the game by himself. Eller is no where near as talented or capable to become a game changer.
As for DD being shutdown...I think this years playoff will be much different.
Why? Vanek. That's why. If MT is smart, he'll stick Vanek with Pleks. Maybe even stick Chuckie on the other side. Either case, with Vanek and Pleks playing together, they immediately become our #1 line. Which also means the opponents top shutdown line will play against that line instead of DD's line. This leaves DD's line with easier chances of producing even more. And if for some obscure reason the other team decides to shutdown DD and leave Vanek/Plek alone, well, all the better for us as a team. Let Vanek/Plek rip through the team. Really, it's potentially a great situation.

Analyzer*

Anyone have a video of some of Tokarski's saves, or a longer video at the end of the shootout ?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Let's be honest DD didn't earn anything. He was given every opportunity to succeed to the point of defying logic. He's playing with a potential 40 goal scorer, monopolizing O-zone starts and often plays as much as 5-10 minutes more than any other center not named Plekanec. All that for a 50 point season if you're lucky? Plekanec does it with his eyes closed, playing with scrubs and top line opposition.

Those 50 points also came with collateral damage. They came at the expense of Eller, you know that big center we've always dreamed of and Galchenyuk, you know the franchise player of this team. Both of whom have looked completely lost since being broken up. Situation is much different if DD gets the Eller treatment.

And yet this team is in 3rd place. :shrugs:

Can Pac-DD keep up their hot streak without Gallagher? Can the EGG line be re-united and recapture the magic they had at the beginning of the season? We need everybody to get it going if we want to make it deep in the playoffs.

I could go for:

Pacioretty - DD - Vanek
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher
Bournival - Plekanec - Gionta
Bourque/Moen - White/Prust - Prust/Weise

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Well, first, Eller isn't a game changer. Period. He isn't no Kovalev who is inconsistent but can change the game by himself. Eller is no where near as talented or capable to become a game changer.
As for DD being shutdown...I think this years playoff will be much different.
Why? Vanek. That's why. If MT is smart, he'll stick Vanek with Pleks. Maybe even stick Chuckie on the other side. Either case, with Vanek and Pleks playing together, they immediately become our #1 line. Which also means the opponents top shutdown line will play against that line instead of DD's line. This leaves DD's line with easier chances of producing even more. And if for some obscure reason the other team decides to shutdown DD and leave Vanek/Plek alone, well, all the better for us as a team. Let Vanek/Plek rip through the team. Really, it's potentially a great situation.

When he's "on", he's a pretty dominant player. He's just not often "on" this season. He's excellent defensively, skilled, strong, dishes out big hits. He's used improperly, but is no doubt in a deep funk. If he could figured out some consistency, he'd be an excellent #2 on a contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad