1-0-0 in the Vanek era

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Really impressed by Tokarski. To people who are saying he's not NHL ready, 6 Powerplays for the ducks, 42 SOG and crazy deflections that not even Price could save. Not sure more you have to do to be NHL ready.

Whoever picked the NHL.com 3 stars of the night must have smoked the same stuff the refs did. Can't wait to see Vanek in action!

PPS. Emelin is terrible. Really hope he turns it around next season or it's going to be a long 4 years.

Emelin is coming back from ACL surgery without the benefit of camp and preseason. Not a shocker that he occasionally has rough games. In general he's played better lately though.

Kenny Powders

Apr 6, 2005
Laval
Tokarski looked great. He goes down rather quickly but it's something Waite will work on i'm sure. He doesnt give a lot of rebounds too

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
One of the fun highlights of yesterday for me was Murray rocking Jackman and a second later Tinordi has a huge check on the boards. :laugh:

What point in the game did this happen? Anyone got an online highlight?

Either that, or we have a better system than people give it credit for.

How do you credit a system that allows 42 SOG and 6 PPs? Habs were undisciplined and were playing with fire.

Emelin is coming back from ACL surgery without the benefit of camp and preseason. Not a shocker that he occasionally has rough games. In general he's played better lately though.

This is true and ACL surgeries have really improved medicinally but it's still one of those wait and see and hope for the best type situations.

TofoEmptyNt

Nov 10, 2013
Ontario
DD getting shafted in the morning highlights. Only showing Briere and Markov shootout goals.
Such a nasty backhand, DD deserves mad props for his shootout skills. It's like he turns into Toews for just a moment.

PricePkPatch*

How do you credit a system that allows 42 SOG and 6 PPs? Habs were undisciplined and were playing with fire.

PPs are not the system's fault, merely indiscipline.

We still managed to prevent any SOG for the first 12 minutes of the game. We clearly did something right.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Either that, or we have a better system than people give it credit for.

What was it, 8-10 odd man rushes in the game? There was a stretch in the 3rd where there was a 2 on 1 for the Ducks, Murray tries to slide trip Perry but he dodges him and instead of shooting into open net with Tokarski fallen he tried to pass to Getzlaf and it went through his skates. The literally 10-15 seconds later Getzlaf gets puck all alone in slot and misses high/grasses post. Let's not forget that ridiculous double post with puck somehow no going in shootout. The 'system' relies on a ton of puck luck.

Hopefully though now that the Habs have Vanek who is good at even strength, dangerous PP option, and has played against top ES players with success historically, the team doesn't have to rely on puck luck and carries the play more. On paper, Habs now have 2 lines and 2 D pairing that can realistically be a threat in the offensive zone at ES.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Reading the Anaheim GDT is mind blowing...

«Vanek to MTL, lol are they even in a playoff spot»
«Can't believe we are losing against a team like that»

etc etc.

PricePkPatch*

etc etc.

Arrogance, thy name is Anaheim.

But let's be serious. We can be just as arrogant.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
This is true and ACL surgeries have really improved medicinally but it's still one of those wait and see and hope for the best type situations.

It's not so much about the ACL itself, just being off skates for 4 months, then having to rebuild leg strength, then finding your timing.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

That's why you don't lock him to a 4 year deal before you see him play a game.

And Emelin has been struggling all year, he's had about a handful of good games.
But there's no more ACL excuse. We're not talking about a 35yo that barely played for a few years and went through multiple surgeries. He has fully recovered from his ACL injury.
Galy went through one, he still performed when came back.
Gorges went through one as well, he came back strong.

As I've been telling you since forever, and you keep ignoring, Emelin has had positional and decision making problems since he joined us. This isn't new at all. It was getting better under Martin as he was playing on a bottom pairing and his natural side, but next to Markov, he's been pretty mediocre to say the least.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
PPs are not the system's fault, merely indiscipline.

We still managed to prevent any SOG for the first 12 minutes of the game. We clearly did something right.

Indiscipline is when you take a lazy or retaliatory penalty, that wasn't the case yesterday.
Our penalties yesterday came from always being a step behind. It had nothing to do with indiscipline.
We did play well early in the first, until we couldn't keep up with them any more.

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
Arrogance, thy name is Anaheim.

But let's be serious. We can be just as arrogant.

We're actually significantly better at arrogance.

Must be our french blood. :laugh:

Now, I woke up this morning. We still had Vanek. We still beat the Ducks with our 3rd goalie. That post to post extravaganza still happened in the shootout.

This is going to be a good day, i think! :yo:

pucku33

Dec 12, 2013

etc etc.

I think it was more of a surprise to be losing to a backup goalie, with so many odd-man rushes and Getz/Perry inability to put a shot on goal when shooting from the slot. Any team should be surprised to lose when given that many scoring chances. Great win for MTL.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's why you don't lock him to a 4 year deal before you see him play a game.

And Emelin has been struggling all year, he's had about a handful of good games.
But there's no more ACL excuse. We're not talking about a 35yo that barely played for a few years and went through multiple surgeries. He has fully recovered from his ACL injury.
Galy went through one, he still performed when came back.
Gorges went through one as well, he came back strong.

As I've been telling you since forever, and you keep ignoring, Emelin has had positional and decision making problems since he joined us. This isn't new at all. It was getting better under Martin as he was playing on a bottom pairing and his natural side, but next to Markov, he's been pretty mediocre to say the least.

Emelin's making 4M a year, and despite his struggles this year, he's a better defender than he's shown for the most part so far

Although I do agree his positional awareness has always been an issue (though I'm not sure if that's related to playing on his offside)

But his contract isn't cumbersome or immovable...MB signed him because he believes in the player, not sure what's so wrong about that?

It's 4M per year on the cap...that's pretty much average for a second pairing Dman

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany

etc etc.

Meh, Idc... They're coached by Boudreau. His system doesn't work in the playoffs. Let them enjoy being first in the regular season as much as they can. They'll make a short trip in the playoffs vs the Kings or the Blues.

Halifaxhab*

I think it was more of a surprise to be losing to a backup goalie, with so many odd-man rushes and Getz/Perry inability to put a shot on goal when shooting from the slot. Any team should be surprised to lose when given that many scoring chances. Great win for MTL.

Backup to a backup goalie! YEEHAW!!!! getting play like that from the depth guys is what pushes teams up the standings....and we finally got some of that.

My only problem was that Vanek seemed invisible out there. I mean did he even dress? MB wasted the sweedish Gretzky on this guy!

:sarcasm:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Anyone else think that was Tinordi's best game this season?

Some good, some bad. He had a pretty unforgivable turnover right in front of Tokarski that could have easily led to a goal.

I thought our D on the whole was very weak last night so I definitely won't single him out though.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Emelin's making 4M a year, and despite his struggles this year, he's a better defender than he's shown for the most part so far

Although I do agree his positional awareness has always been an issue (though I'm not sure if that's related to playing on his offside)

But his contract isn't cumbersome or immovable...MB signed him because he believes in the player, not sure what's so wrong about that?

It's 4M per year on the cap...that's pretty much average for a second pairing Dman

Well right now Emelin isn't playing like a second pairing guy. I agree, he's better than what he's shown and I'm a strong believer he should play on his natural side. It's where he's always looked at his best, so might as well.

Never said his contract was cumbersome or immovable, never even said it was a bad contract. That isn't the point.
The point is, there's absolutely no need to risk signing a rather average player with under 100 games of NHL experience to a 4 year deal when he hasn't played in 8 months.
That doesn't mean you don't believe in the player, you certainly can, but there's just no guarantee on how he'll perform when he returns and so, no rush to ink this deal. I mean, you'd think people would have learned something after the Markov debacle. What was Bergevin scared of? That Emelin will come back, playing amazing and ask for 6M? That was never going to happen.
We likely could have had him for cheaper.

I know you don't believe in cap space being as important. But you save 1M on Emelin, say we had given PK that 5y-5M deal, we'd likely be saving another 2M from that deal (if not more), that's already 3M in extra space.
Cap space adds up and it gives you more flexibility. So whenever you can save some, even if it's just 500K, you go for it.

Halifaxhab*

Some good, some bad. He had a pretty unforgivable turnover right in front of Tokarski that could have easily led to a goal.

I thought our D on the whole was very weak last night so I definitely won't single him out though.

he rushed the play. someone with less than 20 NHL games does that at times. Once he has a little more experience, he'll be much better in those situations. He has shown a dramatic improvement in his positioniong and decision making on when to make big hits vs when to bump for the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad