'04 Draft Report Card #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
i think teams think his ego will get in the way of his development. or perhaps that he'll end up beign one of those players who holds out to get money he doesn't deserve or even demand a trade otu of his team again. its going to be interesting to see how lowe handles him, he doens't seem to be one to take much crap from his players, and rightfully so.

as for his attitude, this is one point.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/draft2004/columns/story?id=1830395

After that stretch, so to speak, the Oilers spent the No. 27 overall pick on OHL center Robbie Schremp, whose character has been called into question. Last season, he forced a trade from the Mississauga Ice Dogs to the London Knights. His combined stats were 30 goals and 45 assists in 63 games. Yet coach Dale Hunter, the former NHL scrapper, benched Schremp late in a playoff Game 7 against Guelph. Schremp's interview with the Oilers was colorful, to say the least, with repeated variations of the same word that got Vice President Dick Cheney in hot water.

"I told him, 'We don't use that [bleeping] word around here,' '' cracked Edmonton coach Craig MacTavish.

now lets get this straight before you respond to me as i can already tell you're already misunderstanding my point. i am not saying his attitude is giogn to set him back, i am saying that teams feel his attitude is not giong to help the organization. this is obviously evident in the draft as many teams passed him up. i do think that what has been done in the past is not going to be erased in people's minds after just a few months. which leads me to believe he will not be drafted any earlier today then how he was drafted prior to the start of this season.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Fair enough. As for that interview, that's one of the reasons Oiler fans like him so much.

I have a feeling these attitude problems, which seemed to be pretty minor to start with, will be forgotten long before his play.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
theo6060 said:
I have seen him this year, and was very unimpressed with him. What I saw was the same floater who lacked hussle, desire and willingness to make plays. As for playing with Richards, he did in the game I saw them play. Although neither had a good game, Richards was just as invisible as McGrath in that game.

My stance on McGrath is this, I'll believe it when I see it. And up till now, I haven't seen it. I don't think he has what it takes to be an effective NHL player and I don't think he would have been at all deserving of being taken in the 1st round.

Fair enough. I've followed Mcgrath since his days with the Oakville Blades, so I've seen what he's capable of.

Pangolin

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Might have a hint of homerism built in but Cory Schneider's been better than I thought from the early reports...I certainly didn't expect him to challenge for the starting job so early in his college career...
I'm happier with that pick than I was 4 months ago.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Pangolin said:
Might have a hint of homerism built in but Cory Schneider's been better than I thought from the early reports...I certainly didn't expect him to challenge for the starting job so early in his college career...
I'm happier with that pick than I was 4 months ago.

Im glad Nuck fans are startin to warm up to Schneider. I sincerely believe when all is said and done...they picked the best goalie outta the 2004 class.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Epsilon said:
While Schremp's stock may have improved I still don't think he's viewed as highly by NHL people as a lot of his fans seem to think. He'd probably move up but I doubt he'd be inside the top 15. I don't think he'd go ahead of Radulov, for starters. He's overrated due to being a "name" guy: someone fans were familiar with for a longer period of time before the draft.

What is overrated about him? What does a guy like Radulov have on him? He's not as skilled, and is just as bad if not worse defensively. The fact is, Schremp's issues were all "character" driven. Teams were scared they would be taking on a loose cannon/cancer, and that's why his stock fell so much.

Joe d

Aug 15, 2004
West said:
In no particular order I'd say even at this early date the following would have risen significantly.

On the rise
18 Mtl. Canadiens Kyle Chipchura C Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)
25 Edmonton Rob Schremp C London Knights (OHL)
29 Washington Mike Green D Saskatoon Blades (WHL)
46 Columbus Adam Pineault R Boston College (NCAA)
63 Boston David Krejci C Kladno Jr. (Czech)
66 Washington Sami Lepisto D Jokerit Helsinki (FNL)
89 Ottawa Jeff Glass G Kootenay Ice (WHL)
115 NY Islanders Wes O'Neill D Notre Dame (NCAA)
128 Detroit Evan McGrath C Kitchener Rangers (OHL)

On the fall list are basically people who I thought were taken too earlry who've had average starts (aaawwwaaaayyy to early to give up on anyone really).

On the fall
5 Phoenix Blake Wheeler R Breck School (Minn.)
10 Atlanta Boris Valabik D Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
30 Tampa Bay Andy Rogers D Calgary Hitmen (WHL)

I assume you feel Wheeler was taken to early ??? Through 16 games he has 7 goals & 7 assists = 14 points which leads his team and is in the top 15 in the league..This for a team that is 5-11-0......Remember he is still a senior in High School....

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
KingPurpleDinosaur said:
and you think he's proved enough in these few games to erase some doubt of his attitude? this is something these teams all felt strongly about over the past year, not just over the course of a few months. do i personally think schremp should have gone earlier? absolutely. if tukonen wasn't taken, i would have really liked the kings to take shremp. but i still don't think the teams who interviewed and talked to him and his coach would feel any different from now and then.

Honestly?

Yes I do think he has.

I was completely against the Oilers picking him at 14, because I watched him a few times last year, and he had the appearance of putting his stats in front of how the team did. He showed very little effort outside of the offensive zone.

That has changed drastically. He's put the team above his point totals (which have still improved), and he's an actual hockey player now, as opposed to a kid who can try some cute stuff with a stick and puck.

Don't forget, a lot of his "attitude" problems were because of him leaving 2 teams. He left the ice dogs because his brother had issues with the owner earlier and Schremp simply didn't trust him. He left the USNDP to go back to London... I have no idea the background, but from what I heard, when he got there it was under the understanding that he was there until a trade could be worked out.

Lots was mentioned of his benching in London's most important game of the season... he wasn't really benched, the team just didn't get any power plays. He saw the same amount of ES ice time he had in all the other games (virtually none), because he mostly only played on the PP (because of his deficiencies in his own end).

He played for a coach who wouldn't accept that. If he played for almost any other coach in the OHL aside from Hunter, he would have put up great numbers and wouldn't have been sat... but because he plays for Hunter, he needs to be a more complete player, and that in turn is going to make him a better pro (if he sticks to it).

Pangolin

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hero of Tragedy said:
Im glad Nuck fans are startin to warm up to Schneider. I sincerely believe when all is said and done...they picked the best goalie outta the 2004 class.

Here's hoping..;)

theo6060

Feb 7, 2003
Visit site
Hero of Tragedy said:
I shouldn't talk since I've never seen Schneider play, but I am still scratching my head over that one. Schneider was playing with such inferior talent. I was down right mad as a Nucks fan to see them make that pick. While it may turn out to be a good pick, in no way do I think he could be the best goalie in that draft..Come on, with Montoya and Schwarz.....

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
theo6060 said:
I shouldn't talk since I've never seen Schneider play, but I am still scratching my head over that one. Schneider was playing with such inferior talent. I was down right mad as a Nucks fan to see them make that pick. While it may turn out to be a good pick, in no way do I think he could be the best goalie in that draft..Come on, with Montoya and Schwarz.....

Why? He was ranked as a first rounder by many sources. He played great against good competition in international play. Plenty of good players have come from US Prep Schools (can't seem to find any online links but I believe both Leetch and Tkachuk may have been drafted out of the same level.)

Why couldn't he be the best goalie in the draft? I certainly wouldn't rule it out. Montoya and Schwarz and more hyped at this point but that will mean nothing in a couple years.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
theo6060 said:

I've seen all 3, although only once for Schneider and twice for Schwarz, I really liked what I saw from Schneider. I'm not a big Montoya fan, but I've seen both Montoya and Schwarz get pulled after some rough games, so I think I just caught them on off days. Montoya did look very good at the wjc's and Schwarz was good in the Czech vs Slovakia U-20 game last year.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
theo6060 said:

Yea but what I think most people dont understand is that Schneider had only played the goalie position for 2 years prior (maybe Oiler Chick or another poster can back me up on this...this was something told to me awhile ago) to dominating his league. Not matter how inferior it might be that is still very impressive with someone so new to the position. And to hear how well he has played this year to start his collegiate career, I think he can turn many fans doubts on his selection. Montoya and Schwarz are more known commodities. While they are good propsects, they are ntohing special really. Schneider is a much harder read and I think the upside could be greater than those two. If he can become BC's main man in the pipes by years end, it'll look good on me :D

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
I think even though Olesz has not really good numbers so far (1 g, 3 A, 22gp), I think he still would've gone top 10. I think Ladd would've dropped to about #7 if the draft was redone. Wheeler too. I really like Mejzaros. I think he's easy top15.

David Shantz, at first I would've taken in the top 25, but after his sub par play of late, I think he's picked right where he belonged. David Booth, IMHO, I have no idea why the panthers picked him there with other players better than him being drafted later.

I definatley see Lisin's stock rising.

Joe d

Aug 15, 2004
PanthersRule said:
I think even though Olesz has not really good numbers so far (1 g, 3 A, 22gp), I think he still would've gone top 10. I think Ladd would've dropped to about #7 if the draft was redone. Wheeler too. I really like Mejzaros. I think he's easy top15.

David Shantz, at first I would've taken in the top 25, but after his sub par play of late, I think he's picked right where he belonged. David Booth, IMHO, I have no idea why the panthers picked him there with other players better than him being drafted later.

I definatley see Lisin's stock rising.

PanthersRule.....Explain why you feel Wheeler's stock would drop today.....You have to remember that the only "Lists" that count on draft day are the short lists that each NHL team brings to the draft......I believe the Coyotes would draft him #5 again if the draft was today.......

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
theo6060 said:

I had a spirited debate with Kirk Pederson over this one.

In summary: I don't care how inferior the competition is- when you stop 96% of the shots you face, you are damn good. Period. Think of the concentration he had to sustain over the course of the season. He didn't have any bad games. His "bad" games meant that he stopped 41 out of 44 shots and lost by a 3-1 score.

Seriously- not trying to pick on you (or Kirk) but this whole concept of Schneider playing against "inferior competition" is way overblown. Nobody says jack about Tom Barrasso not justifying where he was drafted (5th overall- 1983) and he played against the very same "inferior competition" back in the day. Yes, prep is a lower level of play compared to major junior or the NCAA, but the gap isn't as wide as some would have you believe. Again- look beyond the numbers and factor in that Schneider was playing for a pretty mediocre team overall, to do what he did, which was to get the Big Blue to the prep semifinals for a club that barely averaged two goals per game in offense, is pretty sensational in my book.

Also- as FDW said so well- a lot of people forget that Schneider won gold at Piestany, and then came within a hair of another gold at Minsk, with a team that should not have been in the final if not for his stellar play. He did that against some of the best competition of his peers in the *World*. And, he'll be Al Montoya's understudy at Grand Forks this winter- mark my words.

He's a terrific goalie and he's only going to get better. The Canucks made a great pick, and as long as they are *patient* with him, Schneider has the potential to be an upper-echelon starter for a long time.

theo6060

Feb 7, 2003
Visit site
Sticky said:
That's why your not.
Really? You mean these past couple months every NHL team was turning down my application just because I wouldn't take McGrath in the top two rounds? Since you seem to have it all figured out, where do I go from here to reach my dream? Maybe next year I should talk about taking Devereaux Heshmatpour 1st overall instead of Crosby. Way to add to the conversation buddy. Look into your crystal ball and tell me what other jobs I'll never get. I'd be glad to hear it with your supreme and witty knowledge.

As for Kirk - You make good points about Schneider, but the jury will be out over this one for a little while. I'm not saying Schneider sucks or taking anything away from what he did last year, it's just a bit of an odd pick for the Canucks. I wasn't happy at the time and until I'm proven wrong by Schneider I won't be convinced he was worth taking.

bruins4777*

Schnieder WILL be a great goalie, mark my words. From what i've heard and seen he is going to be great.

Schrwarz will be up there as well. Righthanded goalies rule ;)

The one guy i think who is really an "underdog" and underrated, ESPECIALLY by hockey's future is Mike Green. Why is everybody so down on him? He played on a crappy team and was incredible. I thought he would be a high pick, i think he'll be great. His poise is great and i think he'll be a future allstar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad