'04 Draft Report Card #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
welcome to the boards!

as far as your question goes, it is too early to analyze the 2004 draft and there is no point in making a re-do... most (if not all) teams are still happy with who they picked.

well somebody had to reply...

Oilrunner

Nov 3, 2004
I know it is very early to have a fair assessment on this, but after looking at other threads I just wanted to see where people would rank the '04 class based on performance up to this point in the season.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
In no particular order I'd say even at this early date the following would have risen significantly.

On the rise
18 Mtl. Canadiens Kyle Chipchura C Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)
25 Edmonton Rob Schremp C London Knights (OHL)
29 Washington Mike Green D Saskatoon Blades (WHL)
46 Columbus Adam Pineault R Boston College (NCAA)
63 Boston David Krejci C Kladno Jr. (Czech)
66 Washington Sami Lepisto D Jokerit Helsinki (FNL)
89 Ottawa Jeff Glass G Kootenay Ice (WHL)
115 NY Islanders Wes O'Neill D Notre Dame (NCAA)
128 Detroit Evan McGrath C Kitchener Rangers (OHL)

On the fall list are basically people who I thought were taken too earlry who've had average starts (aaawwwaaaayyy to early to give up on anyone really).

On the fall
5 Phoenix Blake Wheeler R Breck School (Minn.)
10 Atlanta Boris Valabik D Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
30 Tampa Bay Andy Rogers D Calgary Hitmen (WHL)

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
West said:
In no particular order I'd say even at this early date the following would have risen significantly.

On the rise
18 Mtl. Canadiens Kyle Chipchura C Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)
25 Edmonton Rob Schremp C London Knights (OHL)
29 Washington Mike Green D Saskatoon Blades (WHL)
46 Columbus Adam Pineault R Boston College (NCAA)
63 Boston David Krejci C Kladno Jr. (Czech)
66 Washington Sami Lepisto D Jokerit Helsinki (FNL)
89 Ottawa Jeff Glass G Kootenay Ice (WHL)
115 NY Islanders Wes O'Neill D Notre Dame (NCAA)
128 Detroit Evan McGrath C Kitchener Rangers (OHL)

On the fall list are basically people who I thought were taken too earlry who've had average starts (aaawwwaaaayyy to early to give up on anyone really).

On the fall
5 Phoenix Blake Wheeler R Breck School (Minn.)
10 Atlanta Boris Valabik D Kitchener Rangers (OHL)

Mike Green is a +26 through 21 games for Saskatoon, and team captain. He was rated 3rd best d-man in 04 by McKeens, behind Barker and Thelen. He's certainly living up to that billing, despite falling to 29.

theo6060

Feb 7, 2003
Visit site
O.T. said:
Evan McGrath would have been a first round pick. He definatly would have went in the top two anyway, instead of going in the fourth.
What did McGrath do last year that would be deserving of being a 1st round pick? He only had 4 points more in his second year than he did in his first year - with an increased role. Add to that the fact he's invisible a lot of times on the ice and lacks hustle, and I can see his draft round being justified. I think a lot of the hype about him was because of his performance in the Memorial Cup final. He has played better this season, but once again, he has had some games where you just don't notice him. I think some credit should go to the supporting cast he plays with.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
theo6060 said:
What did McGrath do last year that would be deserving of being a 1st round pick?

He said based on his play this year, he could easily have been a first rounder last year.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
theo6060 said:
What did McGrath do last year that would be deserving of being a 1st round pick? He only had 4 points more in his second year than he did in his first year - with an increased role. Add to that the fact he's invisible a lot of times on the ice and lacks hustle, and I can see his draft round being justified. I think a lot of the hype about him was because of his performance in the Memorial Cup final. He has played better this season, but once again, he has had some games where you just don't notice him. I think some credit should go to the supporting cast he plays with.

Mcgrath has scored points in all of his games this year but two (19 for 21) That's two seperate 8 game point streaks (including the one hes currently on). He's had multiple point games in over half his games played so far.

He's also outscoring the next Kitchener Rangers forward by 10 points, (Craig Voakes has 24 to Mcgrath's 34). And who's supporting cast that should get credit over Mcgrath? The undrafted Craig Voakes, David Clarkson or Adam Keefe? (solid junior players, but not solid NHL prospects) He also plays with Patrick Davis who's up for this years draft. He doesn't however play with Mike Richards.

He had games last year where you just don't notice him, but thats because he forgot how to play hockey last year. This year he's back to playing the way he did in his OHL rookie season where he was touted as a top 10 selection. He's back completely, playing defense, working hard and has taken over offensively for the Kitchener Rangers.

I'd suggest watching him this year...

EDIT

Check out this thread

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=114024

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
EroCaps said:
Mike Green is a +26 through 21 games for Saskatoon, and team captain. He was rated 3rd best d-man in 04 by McKeens, behind Barker and Thelen. He's certainly living up to that billing, despite falling to 29.

I think Mike Green's been absolutely fantastic so far for Saskatoon. He's a big reason they've gone from cellar-dwellers to a top 10 ranked CHL team. Green's got to be one of the best under rated D prospects out there. Washington stole him at 29.

espo*

I'm sure you guys probably have a better handle on the guy (Green)then me and have seen him a whole lot more but from what i saw of him at the developmental camp i was surprised he went as high as he did.He's not big for a d-man and with that size you usually have to bring some intangibles to the table that i did'nt see.A lot of times you have to be really skilled offensively to make it at that size but i did'nt see that type of game in him at all.I was kinda shocked when i realised he was taken before Roger's in the draft because i was really impressed with him at camp and can see him turning into a good quality nhl defenseman but i could'nt really see it with Green at all. I guess his play at Saskatoon might be a revelation to me since he's having such a great year but i could'nt see how his game translates into a solid nhl career at all at camp.To me it seemed like only if all the stars align correctly could he turn into a Don Sweeney type player at best case scenario(that would be allright,don's had a good career) but i'm doubtful he can make that a reality.Maybe someone can give me the goods on this guy and enlighten me,like i said,i'm sure you guys see him a lot more so probably have a better take on him.

rebedom

Nov 27, 2003
Andrez Meszaros was taken 23rd by Ottawa, there may be a few teams that were ahead of that pick that are kicking themselves in the arse right about now. Also, Jeff Glass, Roman Wick, Shawn Weller and Kyrill Lyamin might all have been drafted a little sooner.

theo6060

Feb 7, 2003
Visit site
Brock said:
Mcgrath has scored points in all of his games this year but two (19 for 21) That's two seperate 8 game point streaks (including the one hes currently on). He's had multiple point games in over half his games played so far.

He's also outscoring the next Kitchener Rangers forward by 10 points, (Craig Voakes has 24 to Mcgrath's 34). And who's supporting cast that should get credit over Mcgrath? The undrafted Craig Voakes, David Clarkson or Adam Keefe? (solid junior players, but not solid NHL prospects) He also plays with Patrick Davis who's up for this years draft. He doesn't however play with Mike Richards.

He had games last year where you just don't notice him, but thats because he forgot how to play hockey last year. This year he's back to playing the way he did in his OHL rookie season where he was touted as a top 10 selection. He's back completely, playing defense, working hard and has taken over offensively for the Kitchener Rangers.

I'd suggest watching him this year...

EDIT

Check out this thread

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=114024
I have seen him this year, and was very unimpressed with him. What I saw was the same floater who lacked hussle, desire and willingness to make plays. As for playing with Richards, he did in the game I saw them play. Although neither had a good game, Richards was just as invisible as McGrath in that game.

My stance on McGrath is this, I'll believe it when I see it. And up till now, I haven't seen it. I don't think he has what it takes to be an effective NHL player and I don't think he would have been at all deserving of being taken in the 1st round.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
trahans99 said:
Robbie Schremp wouldn't have dropped to 25th. He'd go between 5-15

why do people think schremp would go earlier? u guys act like schremp was a no namer who all of a sudden exploded this year and was a surprise pick. fact is, everybody knew schremp's skill and his stock was no higher prior to the draft then it is now. he dropped becuase teams didn't want him, not because he didn't have the skill.

with that said, i dont' think ANY player right now would be changed in the draft (that means including wheeler), with possibly the exception of mcgrath. it's too early for anyone to screw up or be on a long enough hot streak to warrant anyone's change. mcgrath is a late pick, i don't think any team would mind pickin him up in the 3rd or earlier, him as a first rounder, however, is up to debate.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
KingPurpleDinosaur said:
why do people think schremp would go earlier? u guys act like schremp was a no namer who all of a sudden exploded this year and was a surprise pick. fact is, everybody knew schremp's skill and his stock was no higher prior to the draft then it is now. he dropped becuase teams didn't want him, not because he didn't have the skill.

And the people who think Schremp would go earlier don't think he would go earlier because he suddenly displayed skill...

It's because he's working on fixing the problems people had with him, including his work in his half of the ice.

It was never a question of skill, it was a question of attitude, and commitment to playing both ends of the ice.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
While Schremp's stock may have improved I still don't think he's viewed as highly by NHL people as a lot of his fans seem to think. He'd probably move up but I doubt he'd be inside the top 15. I don't think he'd go ahead of Radulov, for starters. He's overrated due to being a "name" guy: someone fans were familiar with for a longer period of time before the draft.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
West said:

Rogers really impressed me at the World Junior camp. He's been injured a while for the Hitmen but I don't understand why you say he's had an average start. Are you only looking at numbers?

He's looking better than Schultz at this point IMO.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
West said:

Rogers really impressed me at the World Junior camp. He's been injured a while for the Hitmen but I don't understand why you say he's had an average start. Are you only looking at numbers? Strange that two of the three "droppers" you mention are big defensemen. Perhaps you have a bias against that type of player?

Based on what I saw of Green, Schultz, Fistric and Rogers so far this season I like Rogers the best.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
dawgbone said:
And the people who think Schremp would go earlier don't think he would go earlier because he suddenly displayed skill...

It's because he's working on fixing the problems people had with him, including his work in his half of the ice.

It was never a question of skill, it was a question of attitude, and commitment to playing both ends of the ice.

and you think he's proved enough in these few games to erase some doubt of his attitude? this is something these teams all felt strongly about over the past year, not just over the course of a few months. do i personally think schremp should have gone earlier? absolutely. if tukonen wasn't taken, i would have really liked the kings to take shremp. but i still don't think the teams who interviewed and talked to him and his coach would feel any different from now and then.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
KingPurpleDinosaur said:
and you think he's proved enough in these few games to erase some doubt of his attitude?

Okay, then, in your opinion, what is it about his attitude that would set him back, keeping in mind he's very competitive, and extremely dedicated to the game.

So what is it about his attitude that would hold him back, and what are the chances of that happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad