GDT: 04/09/2013 | Chicago Blackhawks @ Minnesota Wild | 7:00 PM CST NBCSN & TSN2

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
People saying the sky's not falling must be outside of the area forecasted to receive an onslaught of SEVERE THUNDERSNOW.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Re: sky is falling. Team has played bad for 6 of the last 8 games. If we're not allowed to worry about that, then when?

So this. Not to mention they have been against a lot of teams that are in the playoffs we are losing to. San Jose, LAK, Chicago, St. Louis. If we end up limping into the playoffs as a 7th or 8th seed it is only because I don't want BUF to have a better pick than what they could potentially get if we don't make it. I'm of the minority of not getting wrecked in a 1st round sweep by teams we should be able to compete with. Outside of Chicago this year, we have played every other team in the Top 8 pretty damn well.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
For the record, the Wild can go 2-6-1 and they'd still make the playoffs.

Do you really believe PHX would go 7-1-1? That's 1 (if not, the only one) way to miss the playoffs I'd say.

This is why I'm not worried anymore.

Also, look at our remaining schedule... after the Blues, our schedule is way easier to handle. We will make the playoffs and honestly, that, to me, is HUGE. I know it's easy to want way more and look past it, but man, just making the playoffs is a great step. I honestly don't give a crap who we play either. Look at the Devils/Kings last year. The playoffs are all together a different animal and outcomes cannot necessarily be compared to the regular season.

I think last night is proof that we have to resign Cullen (well, it was known before last night too) since he's the one that makes that second line an amazing second line. Seto is so out of place without him. PMD, well, he needs to go but that second line is nothing without Cullen. He needs to get back on the ice for us. This is my main focus.

When Cullen is back, we have two great lines, with the 3rd not being the best but our 4th sometimes is very good for what it is all about. We are going to be okay and we are certainly going to make the playoffs which is an incredible accomplishment.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
So this. Not to mention they have been against a lot of teams that are in the playoffs we are losing to. San Jose, LAK, Chicago, St. Louis. If we end up limping into the playoffs as a 7th or 8th seed it is only because I don't want BUF to have a better pick than what they could potentially get if we don't make it. I'm of the minority of not getting wrecked in a 1st round sweep by teams we should be able to compete with. Outside of Chicago this year, we have played every other team in the Top 8 pretty damn well.

That's when we show up.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Don't forget the Ducks. They've lost all three games against Anaheim this year with a combined 8-4. Not to mention getting swept against Anaheim in 2003 and getting their butts kicked in 2007. Don't match up well against that team at all.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Don't forget the Ducks. They've lost all three games against Anaheim this year with a combined 8-4. Not to mention getting swept against Anaheim in 2003 and getting their butts kicked in 2007. Don't match up well against that team at all.

lol touche. I knew I was forgetting someone in that discussion.

Billy Mays Here*

We can get swept in the 2nd round and shut out all 4 games for all I care, if we just manage to get matched up against the Ducks in the 1st round and knock them out I would be absolutely thrilled.

theButton

Oooohh! Ahhhhhh!!
Feb 18, 2013
This is why I'm not worried anymore.

Also, look at our remaining schedule... after the Blues, our schedule is way easier to handle. We will make the playoffs and honestly, that, to me, is HUGE. I know it's easy to want way more and look past it, but man, just making the playoffs is a great step. I honestly don't give a crap who we play either. Look at the Devils/Kings last year. The playoffs are all together a different animal and outcomes cannot necessarily be compared to the regular season.

I think last night is proof that we have to resign Cullen (well, it was known before last night too) since he's the one that makes that second line an amazing second line. Seto is so out of place without him. PMD, well, he needs to go but that second line is nothing without Cullen. He needs to get back on the ice for us. This is my main focus.

When Cullen is back, we have two great lines, with the 3rd not being the best but our 4th sometimes is very good for what it is all about. We are going to be okay and we are certainly going to make the playoffs which is an incredible accomplishment.

my thoughts exactly

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I was saying that we've played against teams in the top 8 well this year when we have shown up.

That is kind of a catch all statement. Because not really....

FINAL: MIN (3) - DET (5)
FINAL: MIN (4) - STL (5) OT
FINAL: CHI (2) - MIN (3) S/O W
FINAL: MIN (1) - ANA (3)
FINAL: VAN (4) - MIN (1)
FINAL: MIN (1) - VAN (2)
FINAL: DET (2) - MIN (3) W
FINAL: MIN (2) - ANA (3)
FINAL: MIN (3) - CHI (5)
FINAL: VAN (2) - MIN (4)W
FINAL: ANA (2) - MIN (1)
FINAL: MIN (3) - VAN (1)W
FINAL: MIN (4) - DET (2)W
FINAL: SJS (0) - MIN (2)W
FINAL: LAK (3) - MIN (4) S/OW
FINAL: STL (4) - MIN (1)
FINAL: MIN (2) - SJS (4)
FINAL: MIN (0) - LAK (3)
FINAL: CHI (1) - MIN (0)

We are 7-11-1

Most were losses by 2+ goals. While we have won 4 of those by 2 goals.

Averman

Ya, Yeo Betcha
Aug 18, 2011
That is kind of a catch all statement. Because not really....

FINAL: MIN (3) - DET (5)
FINAL: MIN (4) - STL (5) OT
FINAL: CHI (2) - MIN (3) S/O W
FINAL: MIN (1) - ANA (3)
FINAL: VAN (4) - MIN (1)
FINAL: MIN (1) - VAN (2)
FINAL: DET (2) - MIN (3) W
FINAL: MIN (2) - ANA (3)
FINAL: MIN (3) - CHI (5)
FINAL: VAN (2) - MIN (4)W
FINAL: ANA (2) - MIN (1)
FINAL: MIN (3) - VAN (1)W
FINAL: MIN (4) - DET (2)W
FINAL: SJS (0) - MIN (2)W
FINAL: LAK (3) - MIN (4) S/OW
FINAL: STL (4) - MIN (1)
FINAL: MIN (2) - SJS (4)
FINAL: MIN (0) - LAK (3)
FINAL: CHI (1) - MIN (0)

We are 7-11-1

Most were losses by 2+ goals. While we have won 4 of those by 2 goals.
I know it's more work, but what's the record of those particular teams against each other (and us)? The statement would be more meaningful with some context.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Nobody beat me to it? Good! Hate to think I wasted 15 minutes.

ANAHEIM
Playoff 0.682
Non-Playoff 0.806
Diff 0.124

CHICAGO
Playoff 0.750
Non-Playoff 0.895
Diff 0.145

DETROIT
Playoff 0.525
Non-Playoff 0.579
Diff 0.054

LOS ANGELES
Playoff 0.556
Non-Playoff 0.636
Diff 0.081

MINNESOTA
Playoff 0.395
Non-Playoff 0.775
Diff 0.380

SAN JOSE
Playoff 0.550
Non-Playoff 0.658
Diff 0.108

ST LOUIS
Playoff 0.500
Non-Playoff 0.735
Diff 0.235

VANCOUVER
Playoff 0.500
Non-Playoff 0.762
Diff 0.262

Outside Chicago and Anaheim, most teams weren't great against other playoff teams. BUT, Minnesota seemed to benefit most from beating up on weak teams, followed by Vancouver and St Louis.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Because I spent so much time getting those numbers...here's goal differential as well:

ANAHEIM
Playoff Goal Diff 4
Non-Playoff Goal Diff 20

CHICAGO
Playoff Goal Diff 18
Non-Playoff Goal Diff 28

DETROIT
Playoff Goal Diff -2
Non-Playoff Goal Diff 0

LOS ANGELES
Playoff Goal Diff 4
Non-Playoff Goal Diff 10

MINNESOTA
Playoff Goal Diff -11
Non-Playoff Goal Diff 16

SAN JOSE
Playoff Goal Diff 0
Non-Playoff Goal Diff 0

ST LOUIS
Playoff Goal Diff -4
Non-Playoff Goal Diff 13

VANCOUVER
Playoff Goal Diff -9
Non-Playoff Goal Diff 19

Less helpful, but these numbers are interesting.

Chicago, Los Angeles, and Anaheim are positive. San Jose is even. Detroit, Minnesota, St Louis, and Vancouver are negative.

And of course, Minnesota has to bring up the rear again.

Wonder what this means, if anything, for the playoffs?

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
being negative takes a lot of calories. probably part of his workout regimen. :)

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Nobody beat me to it? Good! Hate to think I wasted 15 minutes.

ANAHEIM
Playoff 0.682
Non-Playoff 0.806
Diff 0.124

CHICAGO
Playoff 0.750
Non-Playoff 0.895
Diff 0.145

DETROIT
Playoff 0.525
Non-Playoff 0.579
Diff 0.054

LOS ANGELES
Playoff 0.556
Non-Playoff 0.636
Diff 0.081

MINNESOTA
Playoff 0.395
Non-Playoff 0.775
Diff 0.380

SAN JOSE
Playoff 0.550
Non-Playoff 0.658
Diff 0.108

ST LOUIS
Playoff 0.500
Non-Playoff 0.735
Diff 0.235

VANCOUVER
Playoff 0.500
Non-Playoff 0.762
Diff 0.262

Outside Chicago and Anaheim, most teams weren't great against other playoff teams. BUT, Minnesota seemed to benefit most from beating up on weak teams, followed by Vancouver and St Louis.

Jarick, you rock dude. Seriously.

And this is very alarming. That is a pretty significant number to look at when dealing with the other Top 7.

Averman

Ya, Yeo Betcha
Aug 18, 2011
Because I spent so much time getting those numbers...here's goal differential as well:

ANAHEIM
Playoff Goal Diff 4
Non-Playoff Goal Diff 20

CHICAGO
Playoff Goal Diff 18
Non-Playoff Goal Diff 28

DETROIT
Playoff Goal Diff -2
Non-Playoff Goal Diff 0

LOS ANGELES
Playoff Goal Diff 4
Non-Playoff Goal Diff 10

MINNESOTA
Playoff Goal Diff -11
Non-Playoff Goal Diff 16

SAN JOSE
Playoff Goal Diff 0
Non-Playoff Goal Diff 0

ST LOUIS
Playoff Goal Diff -4
Non-Playoff Goal Diff 13

VANCOUVER
Playoff Goal Diff -9
Non-Playoff Goal Diff 19

Less helpful, but these numbers are interesting.

Chicago, Los Angeles, and Anaheim are positive. San Jose is even. Detroit, Minnesota, St Louis, and Vancouver are negative.

And of course, Minnesota has to bring up the rear again.

Wonder what this means, if anything, for the playoffs?
Thanks much Jarick. I ran a small NBA draft site for a couple years that did some monkeying around with box scores, and the lesson I learned about the best way to do all the monotonous little data collecting tasks was to get somebody else to do it. Much appreciated.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
being negative takes a lot of calories. probably part of his workout regimen. :)

Maybe that explains why I'm at my lowest weight of the last year+ :laugh:

I made a macro that transcribes the NHL game-by-game stats into usable statistics, then I can play with them to see what happens. So it was a lot of copy and pasting, which sucked, but otherwise not too bad.

Averman

Ya, Yeo Betcha
Aug 18, 2011
Jarick, you rock dude. Seriously.

And this is very alarming. That is a pretty significant number to look at when dealing with the other Top 7.

I think that's blowing it a wee bit out of proportion. It's still just a 19 game sample size, and going from being among the worst in the conference if not the entire league to the worst Top 7 team in the West is still a nice jump to make in a year. It would be great to see the team ready to make a run right now, but the realistic expectation at the start of the year was probably a one and done playoff appearance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad