GDT: #02 – Sabres at Leafs – Mon Jan 21 – 7:00PM ET – TV: MSG-B – Radio: WGR-AM

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Victory! Thank you Kessel for missing a half empty net at the end

You may wanna watch the replay, that was a very tough angle, a dman blocking most of the net and the puck was rolling on a backhander. 99.9% of the time that's not going in, doesn't matter who's shooting.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Dominating game again for the Sabres. Doesn't say much for the Leaves or Flyers because i don't really think much of Buffalo's offense. Leaves are their usual pathetic selves for sure.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Appreciate the class from the leafs fans. Good sports. Close game, good action, and look forward to more this season. Good luck this season

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
What game did you watch?:help:

The one where the Leaves were gifted 4 straight minutes of a 5 on 3 and couldn't even get a good shot on net, and only got a goal when the refs apparently felt bad enough for them that they made up a call with 2 minutes left to give them a 6 on 4.

iArts

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 3, 2010
Toronto,ON,Canada
The one where the Leaves were gifted 4 straight minutes of a 5 on 3 and couldn't even get a good shot on net, and only got a goal when the refs apparently felt bad enough for them that they made up a call with 2 minutes left to give them a 6 on 4.

1. We weren't gifted any 5 on 3s. Your players took dumbass penalty after dumbass penalty.
2. Even if everything you listed were true, none of it shows the Sabres dominating. You got outshot 35 to 20 and outplayed in every zone except for the netminding.

The ONLY reason you got the W is Miller.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
1. We weren't gifted any 5 on 3s. Your players took dumbass penalty after dumbass penalty.
2. Even if everything you listed were true, none of it shows the Sabres dominating. You got outshot 35 to 20 and outplayed in every zone except for the netminding.

You don't think having a 3 minute five on three plus even more PP time on top of that had anything to do with it?

GTFO laughs fan. You're just going to embarrass yourself.

iArts

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 3, 2010
Toronto,ON,Canada
You don't think having a 3 minute five on three plus even more PP time on top of that had anything to do with it?

GTFO laughs fan. You're just going to embarrass yourself.

So you're denying that Miller won that game?

The only reason we didn't score 3 goals on that 5 on 3 was Miller. Not your PK. Your whole PK was just Miller.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
So you're denying that Miller won that game?

The only reason we didn't score 3 goals on that 5 on 3 was Miller. Not your PK. Your whole PK was just Miller.

Miller played very well during that sequence, but so did the pk'ers out there. It was most definitely not all Miller.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Don't see how the Sabres won't be the first undefeated team in NHL history.

64-0

book it

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
No the Sabres did not dominate. They made enough plays to win the game on the road on the back end of a back-to-back.

But for all the dominating the Sabres did against the Flyers, they still barely won that game. Tied until 5 mins left in the 3rd, and if one of those ref calls went the other way (which it very well could have) it's a totally different game.

Bottom line is when it counted, the Sabres made it count. How they got there is irrelevant. After years of mental midgets, that's a very encouraging sign.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011

shooting a rolling puck over the glass isn't a dumbass penalty. Its a dumbass rule. No player does that on purpose
Steve Ott brushed at the puck, last year that wouldn't have been called but players need time to adjust to the new rules. Not a dumbass penalty.

Pkers played great and most of your shots came from the outside. I agree the leafs played a better game, but shots aren't a good way to measure who dominated the game, and the reason the total was so slanted was because they had 7 power plays compared to the sabres 3. Ennis missed an open net on a 2 on 1 that would have made it 3-0 and not even a game, and Pommers missed the empty net.

The Vanek Hodgson and Pominville line played a complete all around game, and were the best players on the ice tonight after Miller. To say Miller was the only reason we won that game just makes you sound like a typical uneducated leafs fan.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011

That Stafford interference call was weak at best. Lupul dove. The Ott penalty was weaker at best. Those (plural) 5 on 3's were a joke. The Kaleta "roughing" penalty was a joke. You are letting the fact that the Leafs played an inordinate amount of time with 2 more players on the ice than the Sabres cloud your judgement of the game. "Outplayed in every aspect aside from Miller?" To me, to pretty much glide through a game except for the last two minutes having to endure 4 straight minutes of 5 on 3, on the road, in a home opener, that was actually free for the home team's fans, i would say is pretty dominating. Had the game been spent 5 on 5, it would have been even more dominating. If it was the Sabres getting gifted the ridiculous power players, it would have been unbelievably dominating.

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011
Toronto media is so homer-ish

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1318223--maple-leafs-lose-home-opener-to-buffalo-sabres

Whether Orr downed Scott is up for debate, but Fraser didn't drop Foligno

That's pretty funny, the Orr-Scott fight was about even but Scott lost balance and dropped to his knees after landing a good punch on Orr, so it looked like Orr won but really Scott just fell down. Foligno-Fraser again was pretty even and I may even give the slight edge to Foligno. I guess Toronto needs something to cheer for though..so I'll give it to them.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Appreciate the class from the leafs fans. Good sports. Close game, good action, and look forward to more this season. Good luck this season

after reading the subsequent posts, so much for that good will... :laugh:

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg

1. Steve Ott gloving the puck was the result of him being hooked down. Should have been a Leaf penalty first. Other than that, I can live with the calls.

2. The Sabres got outshot because you had such a massive PP advantage. As for being outplayed in every zone, hardly. That game was one Tyler Ennis blunder away from being 3-0 and not even within reach for the Leafs.

The ONLY reason the Leafs were that competitive is because of the powerplays.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
That's pretty funny, the Orr-Scott fight was about even but Scott lost balance and dropped to his knees after landing a good punch on Orr, so it looked like Orr won but really Scott just fell down. Foligno-Fraser again was pretty even and I may even give the slight edge to Foligno. I guess Toronto needs something to cheer for though..so I'll give it to them.

I agree on Orr-Scott but I thought Folingo-Fraser was all Foligno. All I saw was Fraser get punched in the head four times and Foligno lose his balance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad