GDT: #01 – Flyers at Sabres – Sun Jan 20 – 12:30PM ET – TV: NBC – Radio: WGR-AM

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
gdt-01-top-1.png
gdt-01-top-2.png

gdt-01-top-3.png
gdt-01-top-4.png

GDT #01: FLYERS (0-1-0) at SABRES (0-0-0) – SUN JAN 20 – 12:30PM ET – TV: NBC – RADIO: WGR-AM

1.13 – Buffalo Sabres 2012-13 Media Guide (Press Release – Sabres.com)

1.13 – Philadelphia Flyers 2012-13 Media Guide (Press Release – Flyers.com)

1.19 – Sabres notebook: With extra day, Ruff to watch referees closely (Mike Harrington – The Buffalo News)

1.19 – Top pick Grigorenko on board (Mike Harrington – The Buffalo News)

1.19 – Flyers sloppy in season-opening loss to Penguins (Tim Panaccio – CSN Philly)

1.19 – Opening Daze; Flyers struggles in first period lead to 3-1 loss to Pens (Anthony SanFilippo – Flyers.com)

1.19 – Flyers-Sabres Preview (Alan Ferguson – AP / Stats Writer)

1.20 – Sabres’ Leino questionable for opener; Grigorenko set for debut (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

1.20 – Sabres GM Regier receives extension; Pegula apologizes for lockout (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

1.20 – No middle ground for Sabres’ Cup hopes (John Vogl – The Buffalo News)

1.20 – Sabres make offseason moves to bring more fire to the ice (John Vogl – The Buffalo News)

1.20 – In shortened season, a hot goalie could be difference (Mike Harrington – The Buffalo News)
header-350x60-team-news-left.png
header-350x60-default-right.png

BUFFALO SABRES

Projected Lineup

26 Thomas Vanek ("A") - 19 Cody Hodgson - 29 Jason Pominville ("C")
82 Marcus Foligno - 63 Tyler Ennis - 21 Drew Stafford ("A")
9 Steve Ott - 25 Mikhail Grigorenko - 55 Jochen Hecht
32 John Scott - 37 Matt Ellis - 36 Patrick Kaleta

24 Robyn Regehr - 57 Tyler Myers
10 Christian Ehrhoff - 52 Alexander Sulzer
3 Jordan Leopold - 44 Andrej Sekera

30 Ryan Miller
1 Jhonas Enroth

Lineup News & Notes

Nathan Gerbe (back) and Cody McCormick (finger) begin the season on injured reserve, while TJ Brennan (healthy),
Ville Leino (LBI) and Mike Weber (healthy) are scratched for today's game. Ryan Miller will get the start in goal, while
first-round pick Mikhail Grigorenko will make his NHL debut at third-line center.

Weekly Transactions

David Leggio, Mark Mancari, Adam Pardy, Kevin Porter, Drew Schiestel and Nick Tarnasky each cleared waivers this
week, while Joe Finley was claimed by the New York Islanders. Buffalo announced Darcy Regier's contract extension
on Saturday.

According to the Stats

Buffalo are 23-14-4 in opening games, with a 16-6-4 record at home, and they were 0-3-1 versus Philadelphia last
season, with Ryan Miller stopping only 83 of 97 shots against and playing just 160 minutes despite four appearances.
Jason Pominville, with one goal and three assists, was Buffalo's leading scorer in the series.
header-350x60-opp-news-left.png
header-350x60-opp-news-right.png

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

Projected Lineup

19 Scott Hartnell ("A") - 28 Claude Giroux ("C") - 10 Brayden Schenn
25 Maxime Talbot - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
24 Matt Read - 21 Scott Laughton - 17 Wayne Simmonds
26 Ruslan Fedotenko - 11 Eric Wellwood - 36 Zac Rinaldo

44 Kimmo Timonen ("A") - 22 Luke Schenn
5 Braydon Coburn - 8 Nicklas Grossmann
41 Andrej Meszaros - 3 Kurtis Foster

30 Ilya Bryzgalov
49 Michael Leighton

Lineup News & Notes

Marc-Andre Bourdon (concussion), Danny Briere (wrist) and Chris Pronger (post-concussion syndrome) are sidelined
with injuries, while Bruno Gervais, Tom Sestito and Jody Shelley were scratched in Saturday's 3-1 loss to Pittsburgh.
Ilya Bryzgalov will get the start in goal for Philadelphia.

Weekly Transactions

Brian Boucher and Andreas Lilja each cleared waivers this week, while Tye McGinn was returned to AHL/Adirondack.

According to the Stats

Philadelphia were 4-0-0 in four games versus Buffalo last season, with Ilya Bryzgalov winning each game and saving
101 of 110 shots against. Claude Giroux, with one goal and ten assists, was their leading scorer in the series.

header-350x60-stats-standings-left.png
header-350x60-stats-standings-right.png

zJ3PG.png
gdt-01-stats-standings-2.png

// I'll update the left image if Sabres.com includes a H2H comparison at some point.
header-350x60-multimedia-left.png
header-350x60-default-right.png

A/V CLUB

1.13 – Bob McKenzie previews the Buffalo Sabres on NHL Tonight. <2:04>

1.14 – Bob McKenzie previews the Philadelphia Flyers on NHL Tonight. <1:56>

1.17 – Kevin Allen previews Buffalo on WGR's Howard Simon Show. <7:07>

1.18 – Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff speak with the media following practice. <10:35>

1.19 – Lindy Ruff speaks with the media following practice. <2:42>

1.19 – Ryan Miller speaks with the media following practice. <7:10>

1.19 – Mikhail Grigorenko speaks with the media following practice. <4:11>

1.19 – Terry Pegula, Ted Black and Darcy Regier speak at the introductory press conference. <22:27>

1.19 – Highlights of Philadelphia's 3-1 loss to Pittsburgh. <4:01>

1.19 – Peter Laviolette speaks with the media following Philadelphia's 3-1 loss to Pittsburgh. <4:02>

GAMEDAY CHAT

IRC Server: irc.esper.net ... Channel: #sabres ... If you have questions: FYI - Sabres Chat

Last edited:

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011
There are still tickets left if people are looking, you can even buy 7 tickets all together in section 324 right now $66/ticket

Stockey

Let's Go Buffalo!
Dec 1, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The game is sold out.

Edit: I stand corrected.... That's weird I thought they said it was sold out before tickets became available to the public.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Welcome to secondary ticket market. My loins are all a quiver. Was pumped to see the first real GDT of the season.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
3-2 Sabres in regulation.

Vanek with game winner.

Grigorenko Prediction: 1 assist, +1, 14:57 ToI.

If Leino can't go and Ellis has to dress I hope they let Ellis center the 4th line and move Hecht to the LW on Grigorenkos line instead of plugging Ellis in that spot.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Gonna be in my favorite jersey I own, my Kaleta one. :) Will talk to you guys tomorrow!! Make sure to post chat, and people going to the game, post pics here after :nod:

sabres.jpg

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
They could win thirty.
They could miss the playoffs too.
Well, here goes nothing.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
Is there a season opener GDT for last season?

I'm super curious to see how different the lineup looks. My guess is very.

ask and you shall receive

Vanek Adam Pominville
Gerbe Roy Stafford
Ennis Leino Boyes
McCormick Gaustad Kaleta

Regehr Myers
Leopold Ehrhoff
Gragnani Sekera

Hecht was on the IR and most people assumed he would take Adam's spot when get got healthy.
Weber was a healthy scratch and I'm assuming the other scratch was Ellis.

yeah, we've changed a couple of things at forward. Even with the injuries I think our top 3 lines are better. Only place I think we're worse is 4th line center

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad