1000005792.jpg
1000005804.jpg
1000005822.jpg

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
This is the final test.

If you can sit through this whole thing and actually enjoy it, you can tolerate pretty much anything.

Machine, one can easily sit through a f***ING DREAM THEATER album, few things easier than that. And that's a gem of an album right there.

Metallica on crack with some oriental themes, that just slap different with a double base.
If there is anything remotely intolerable about DT, it's the singing sometimes.

I take offense to the part about "and actually enjoy it, you can tolerate pretty much anything."

My man, one can not easily tolerate doom metal and shit like that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Machine, one can easily sit through a f***ING DREAM THEATER album, few things easier than that. And that's a gem of an album right there.

Metallica on crack with some oriental themes, that just slap different with a double base.
If there is anything remotely intolerable about DT, it's the singing sometimes.

I take offense to the part about "and actually enjoy it, you can tolerate pretty much anything."

My man, one can not easily tolerate doom metal and shit like that.
Listen, don't get it twisted. I have a Dream Theater tattoo. I worship this band. I do it with an understanding that most people aren't ready for it.

You're ready for it. If I told Joe Shmoe to listen to a 57-minute song with like 219 time signature changes, he's not gonna be ready to enjoy it.

I've had people who know a thing or two about music listen to DT and be like "I don't get it."

When I say "tolerate," I'm not talking about listening to annoying music, I'm talking about like, a shogun completing his life's training.

16 years I've been listening to this band, and it's not for the weak.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Listen, don't get it twisted. I have a Dream Theater tattoo. I worship this band. I do it with an understanding that most people aren't ready for it.

You're ready for it. If I told Joe Shmoe to listen to a 57-minute song with like 219 time signature changes, he's not gonna be ready to enjoy it.

I've had people who know a thing or two about music listen to DT and be like "I don't get it."

When I say "tolerate," I'm not talking about listening to annoying music, I'm talking about like, a shogun completing his life's training.

16 years I've been listening to this band, and it's not for the weak.

I see. Grew up with a bunch "music explorers" and prog-rock came around very early.

I guess, I feel exactly the same, when I hesitate to put ELP or Gentle Giant on.

Certainly isn't for the weak. Although I'll never understand their weakness.

You just have to surrender to it, and it'll take you for a spin.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
missed last nights game seeing Herbie at Lincoln Center. he went the deepest on actual proof

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Loving the metalheads in here, love Opeth, love Dream Theater, going to see Powerwolf on their US tour this year. My last show was Mastodon & Gojira.

However.

I came into this thread, because this right here? This is post #420 for me.

So here is some commemoration.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Loving the metalheads in here, love Opeth, love Dream Theater, going to see Powerwolf on their US tour this year. My last show was Mastodon & Gojira.
I wanted to go to Mastodon &Gojira and some shit happened. I don't even remember what it was.

I've listened to a bunch of Dream Theater albums in their entirety recently to revisit my album ranking and understand other people's rankings that I found surprising.

And, at the end of it all...not much changed.

The only thing that's changed is like, I'm less hard on people who put certain albums what feels like really low. Once you get the three kinda bad ones out of the way, something has to be in 12th, and it's probably a record with good songs on it.

Anybody who really loves any band knows what I'm talking about.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
I wanted to go to Mastodon &Gojira and some shit happened. I don't even remember what it was.

I've listened to a bunch of Dream Theater albums in their entirety recently to revisit my album ranking and understand other people's rankings that I found surprising.

And, at the end of it all...not much changed.

The only thing that's changed is like, I'm less hard on people who put certain albums what feels like really low. Once you get the three kinda bad ones out of the way, something has to be in 12th, and it's probably a record with good songs on it.

Anybody who really loves any band knows what I'm talking about.
I am a total Megadeth fanboy. I listen to Risk on purpose. I have seen them like 8-10 times live. I get it.

Mastodon and Gojira were effing awesome. I was there primarily for Mastodon, they were really the last band (still touring) on my “must” list i hadnt seen yet. They kicked every bit as much ass as i expected.

Gojira came out after, and they seemed kind of flat at first, but their energy built with each song so that the whole set crescendoed at the end. The video boards did it too. It was a pretty damn awesome show, and overall i rate it as one kf the best metal shows i have attended. 9.5/10.

I also realized i lied, that wasnt my last show - went to the TSO Christmas show. Phenomenal .

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I am a total Megadeth fanboy. I listen to Risk on purpose. I have seen them like 8-10 times live. I get it.

Mastodon and Gojira were effing awesome. I was there primarily for Mastodon, they were really the last band (still touring) on my “must” list i hadnt seen yet. They kicked every bit as much ass as i expected.

Gojira came out after, and they seemed kind of flat at first, but their energy built with each song so that the whole set crescendoed at the end. The video boards did it too. It was a pretty damn awesome show, and overall i rate it as one kf the best metal shows i have attended. 9.5/10.

I also realized i lied, that wasnt my last show - went to the TSO Christmas show. Phenomenal .
Oh I love the TSO Christmas show! The lasers are insane.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ok, f*** it, I don't care who listens or knows what I'm talking about, I have to get this off my chest. My DT album rankings of today, subject to change:

#15 - The Astonishing

f*** this thing. It has like four good songs on it, and on better records, those songs wouldn't stand out. It feels like they did this epic story thing and forgot to write music for it.

#14 - When Dream and Day Unite

Unlike the f***ing Astonishing, I can listen to this. It's fine. People who say it's a demo are correct. It's not fully Dream Theater.

#13 - Falling Into Infinity

Trial of Tears is a classic and Peruvian Skies bangs. Nothing else here is memorable. Firmly in "fine."

#12 - Self-titled

This was the album where people would have it here, and I would be like "how???" but I get it now. Once you're in the top-12, they're all good. Something has to be here. The Enemy Inside rips so hard and I absolutely love Illumination Theory. Everything in between is just there.

#11 - A View From the Top of the World

Same thing as the self-titled. The Alien is one of my all-time favorites and I love the long closer. Everything in between is just regular old Dream Theater. The middle part is a bit better than the self-titled for me.

#10 - Awake

I know. I know. It jumps again once you get into the top 10. This band has ten phenomenal albums. Something has to be 10th. Nothing is wrong with Awake. It's just none of the songs are in my top 10-15 favorites.

#9 - Distance Over Time

Awake is probably a better lineup top to bottom but the only reason I put DoT above Awake is because At Wit's End is in my top 15 and it contains my all-time favorite Petrucci solo.

#8 - Six Degrees

Probably low for most people. First half is wall to wall bangers. Don't really care about the second half tbh. And it drives me up the wall when people call it a "song." It's not a song. The tracks very little connection outside of some "same album" motifs. The 12-Step Suite is a more cohesive singular piece and it spans five albums. Octavarium, this thing is not.

#7 - A Dramatic Turn of Events

Not much to say. It's an amazing collection of songs and also a good whole album experience. It has a couple of my top 15.

#6 - Images and Words

No, it's not in my top 5. Sue me. This album is basically perfect and every song is good, but none of them are my top, top songs. That's the only reason.

#5 - Black Clouds and Silver Linings

It has three bonafide classics (Nightmare, Shattered Fortress, the Count) and 5/6 songs are bangers. It's almost flawless.

#4 - Train of Thought

See above. Six-track album with nothing but face-melters. I put it above Black Clouds because Endless Sacrifice is probably in my top 10.

#3 - Systematic Chaos

I probably have this too high. But I don't know where else to put. As a whole-album listen, it's a bit exhausting. And also, I know they wanted to do this Pink Floyd thing, but I would never, ever voluntarily listen to In the Presence of Enemies in two parts. It's should have been one track. As one track, it's a top 5 DT song. Splitting it up was a flaw with this album. That being said, the lineup is absolutely f***ing STACKED. In the Presence of Enemies, Constant Motion, The Dark Eternal Night, The Ministry of Lost Souls. Four stone cold classics.

#2 - Scenes From a Memory

It's Scenes From a f***ing Memory. There's not a fan I've ever encountered that has this outside their top 3.

#1 - Octavarium

So much on this album is overlooked. People say "oh it's just Panic Attack and and the title track," and partially, yes. Those are two top-5 DT songs IMO. But the other six tracks are super underrated. They all hold up. Not a bad song on the record. It's also overlooked as a whole-album listen. The transitions between songs are brilliant. Each song does the theme of mental health, and I think this album accomplishes that better than Six Degrees does, as I alluded to. This is what people think Six Degrees is. I could be here for two hours giving you all the easter eggs in this album. And then the f***ing title track. I've heard people call the title track overrated. I guess get an ear transplant. I don't know what else to say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad