OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Still trying to analyze the new Janelle Monae album. I've seen her a bunch and really like her EP and first two albums.

I have no idea who these Cardi B and Camilla Caballo people are. I see billboards of them everywhere. It's a little out of my age group but are these two any talented? First shows up everywhere. Second I only know because she wore a dress and the entire free world is obsessed with her album cover.

New Janelle Monae album is good but I'm not sure yet how many repeat listens it will get from me. Was a huge fan of the The ArchAndroid album.

I think with artists like Cardi B and Camila Cabello, your opinion of their talent will differ depending on your appetite for pop music and pop culture. In my opinion, Camila made one of the catchiest songs of last year (and put Young Thug on it!) and it takes talent to make something so catchy and ubiquitous. Cardi made one of the best hip-hop albums of this year (up there with Saba for me) and her rapid rise to success has been inspiring to watch.

Edit: forgot to mention JPEGMAFIA who also has one of my favorite hip-hop albums of this year. Any fans of Death Grips in here should def check out JPEG!

Last edited:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
@jas why is Jim Morrison disliked?

I always thought The Doors were solid but I'm not big enough a fan to really know anything about it.

Why do I dislike them? I think they’re overrated, and after years and years of being beaten over the head with them by ‘Classic Rock’ radio, there is nothing I find interesting about them or nothing that reverberates with me emotionally. And Morrison sucked as a poet. Dylan and Paul Simon are true poets whose words actually stir emotions and imagery. Morrison is just a rhymer, IMO.

Reactions: jacko23

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Why do I dislike them? I think they’re overrated, and after years and years of being beaten over the head with them by ‘Classic Rock’ radio, there is nothing I find interesting about them or nothing that reverberates with me emotionally. And Morrison sucked as a poet. Dylan and Paul Simon are true poets whose words actually stir emotions and imagery. Morrison is just a rhymer, IMO.
Surely you can see the mastery in rhyming "Mr Mojo Risin" with "Mr Mojo Risin"

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I’ve Seen Footage is like a top-5 song ever imo

Basically most of money store

I like Hustle Bones a lot. Just got into them recently I know they have a new album out later this year.

Zach Hill is an interesting guy. First heard of Hella back in the early 2000s when someone told me they were Lightning Bolt West Coast (if any of you remember that group who peaked in indie popularity then). He's kinda like the indie Dave Grohl/Dave Lombardo in terms of projects he's worked on but more like Mike Patton in terms of versatility.

When I first heard Death Grips was a hip hop project with him I was immediately fascinated because Face Tat was such an interesting solo album and very different from Hella.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I like Hustle Bones a lot. Just got into them recently I know they have a new album out later this year.

Zach Hill is an interesting guy. First heard of Hella back in the early 2000s when someone told me they were Lightning Bolt West Coast (if any of you remember that group who peaked in indie popularity then). He's kinda like the indie Dave Grohl/Dave Lombardo in terms of projects he's worked on but more like Mike Patton in terms of versatility.

When I first heard Death Grips was a hip hop project with him I was immediately fascinated because Face Tat was such an interesting solo album and very different from Hella.
the money store really hits it’s stride after lost boys

the next five songs or so are god level shit

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
f*** man

listening to it again

highway 61 MIGHT be better than blood on the tracks

it’s closer than i thought it was, at the very least

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I've really only delved into Ryan Adams recently, but I've become a big fan. Some of his stuff is very Dylan-esque, but I'm liking when he came into his own in the middle of his catalog.

As far as The Doors go, Morrison had a hell of a lot of charisma, and I think that's what sold him to a lot of people. Personally, I like The Doors. Some songs have decent lyrics, but by and large I like the style and the musicianship. Manzarek was the real heart and soul of that band, filling in for Jim a lot of times when he was out of it. I also really liked Krieger's guitar playing.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I've really only delved into Ryan Adams recently, but I've become a big fan. Some of his stuff is very Dylan-esque, but I'm liking when he came into his own in the middle of his catalog.

As far as The Doors go, Morrison had a hell of a lot of charisma, and I think that's what sold him to a lot of people. Personally, I like The Doors. Some songs have decent lyrics, but by and large I like the style and the musicianship. Manzarek was the real heart and soul of that band, filling in for Jim a lot of times when he was out of it. I also really liked Krieger's guitar playing.

I love Ryan Adams. He camecoff a little pretentious in his early days, but since Love is Hell, he’s been excellent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad