OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
same with eddie vedder my most hated musician

the pretense combined with the lack of talent
I enjoy Ten, but again I'm not enough of a Pearl Jam listener to feel either way.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nirvana, but I always felt Cobain's lyrics were overrated by some.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Morrison had a great voice and was an interesting lyricist.

I hate to be one of those 'I liked Pearl Jam better back..." people but to me halfway through Vitalogy they started to lose me.

I like select songs by U2 but I find Bono to be meh.

Was just talking to a friend about Gaslight Anthem. Loved their first album...then after not so much.

Death Grips are cool. Zack Hill is like a less corny version of Dave Grohl (I love Dave Grohl as a musician just he's been too much the last few years and Foo Fighters have some good songs but have become the real life version of School of Rock).

Still trying to analyze the new Janelle Monae album. I've seen her a bunch and really like her EP and first two albums.

I have no idea who these Cardi B and Camilla Caballo people are. I see billboards of them everywhere. It's a little out of my age group but are these two any talented? First shows up everywhere. Second I only know because she wore a dress and the entire free world is obsessed with her album cover.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
grunge on the whole is a pretty awful genre

the mid-late 90s is so much more than just grunge
OMG I just had the dopest K-Rock flashback when you mentioned mid-late 90's.

Sometimes it was a mess, but it was my mess, especially pre-mp3.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
In metal we don't have this problem, because if you're a dick metalhead, you usually just kill someone and get it over with.

I'm looking at you Tim Lambesis, and Varg Vikernes, and that dude from Gorgoroth who may have burned a church one time or may not have, "my lawyer can't say."

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I enjoy Ten, but again I'm not enough of a Pearl Jam listener to feel either way.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nirvana, but I always felt Cobain's lyrics were overrated by some.

Cobain was a great songwriter and arranger. Grunge is so much more than flannels and "simple metal." Listen to Superunknown by Soundgarden or Dirt by Alice In Chains. STP was a classic/hard rock band as far as I'm concerned. Not grunge.

Nirvana can be a gateway band for many great bands that never were as commercially successful via MTV: Meat Puppets, Husker Du, Killing Joke, Siouxse and The Banshees which did have some success, and of course The Pixies who had some commercial success.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Cobain was a great songwriter and arranger. Grunge is so much more than flannels and "simple metal." Listen to Superunknown by Soundgarden or Dirt by Alice In Chains. STP was a classic/hard rock band as far as I'm concerned. Not grunge.

Nirvana can be a gateway band for many great bands that never were as commercially successful via MTV: Meat Puppets, Husker Du, Killing Joke, Siouxse and The Banshees which did have some success, and of course The Pixies who had some commercial success.
I absolutely adore Soundgarden and Alice :yo:

Reactions: White Plains Batman

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

whenever someone says something about nirvana, i feel inclined to bring up the meat puppets being superior

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
In metal we don't have this problem, because if you're a dick metalhead, you usually just kill someone and get it over with.

I'm looking at you Tim Lambesis, and Varg Vikernes, and that dude from Gorgoroth who may have burned a church one time or may not have, "my lawyer can't say."
burning an empty church is p f***ing metal

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
burning an empty church is p ****ing metal
May or may not have been empty, his lawyer can't say. :laugh:

But those are few and far between. For the most part, metal musicians are the most passive because they scream for three hours every night as it is.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
May or may not have been empty, his lawyer can't say. :laugh:

But those are few and far between. For the most part, metal musicians are the most passive because they scream for three hours every night as it is.
do they shit in their hand and eat it

metal doesnt compare to punk my friend

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Oh, and it might not necessarily be my cup of tea because I usually go for the heavier stuff, (a few of his songs are favorites of mine) but if I picked one person to represent all of us and say "this is New York" it would be Paul Simon.

The man is simply beyond reproach.

Reactions: Bozle

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Oh, and it might not necessarily be my cup of tea because I usually go for the heavier stuff, (a few of his songs are favorites of mine) but if I picked one person to represent all of us and say "this is New York" it would be Paul Simon.

The man is simply beyond reproach.
i essentially worship and pray to paul simon

Reactions: Machinehead

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
People can have their own takes on music... and anyone who doesn't respect that fact is truly an asshole.

Anyone who hasn't seen Pearl Jam live should probably do so before making an assessment about them.

They are EXTREMELY talented, gifted musicians and entertainers. They put on a different show EVERY single night no matter how many shows you see on a given tour.

Some don't like No Code or Yield as albums (happen to be my favs) and that's ok.

But as a live band I defy you to name anyone better and anyone who cares about their fans more than they do. Just my opinion.

(This isn't aimed at anyone in this thread... just a statement really)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
i essentially worship and pray to paul simon

He wrote "The Sound of Silence" which is a top 5 masterpiece ever produced by human hands and he's a Yankees season ticket holder.

Worship-worthy resume right there as it is.

Reactions: Bozle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad