GDT: ♫ @ ★

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZigZagBluesFan

Sep 30, 2010
I finally got a chance to sit down and watch the first full game I've seen since the opener.

The chemistry between Frank and Jori is a beautiful thing. I'm not sure what was prettier, that laser that Frank unleashed on goal #1, or that beautiful pass from Jori on goal #3.

Armstrong seemed incredibly confident in Lehtera's abilities translating quickly, but he's been fantastic. Looking forward to watching them for the rest of the season.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I think if he stays healthy Frank is pushing 35 goals this year. He's been our best forward. I was pretty skeptical if Jori at first, but he's been great for us. The chemistry between him and Frank is incredible and it wouldn't surprise me to see him end up with 50 points this year.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Steen-Lehtera-Tarasenko was a really strong line. Steen's defense on that line was really good last night. He played the give and go well with those too.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
Way to go and I tip my cap to Tarasenko's 1st NHL Hat Trick! Blues responded quickly to every Stars goals in the 1st 2 periods and Tarasenko getting his 2nd goal halfway through the 3rd was a textbook example on power skating paying off on a highlight reel goal to tie the game 3-3. Lethtara, Shatty and Elliott also outstanding getting the 2 points.

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012
Same here, I have Frank in all 8 of my yahoo leagues including our HF board league, and I didn't start him in all 8 because I thought he was sick D2D. Missed on a huge night, but oh well I'm just glad we beat those thugs and goons they have over there in Dallas.

i keep meaning to thank you for that. :sarcasm:
if it makes you feel better youre kicking my ass this week anyway. :cry:

FloridaBlue

Mar 9, 2014
Wildwood, MO
Dear Hitch,

Never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever separate Tarasenko and Lehtera for any reason/in any circumstance. I'm talking build bunkbeds in the hotels for them. I'm saying if you're playing in Cali and an earthquake splits the locker room in two and you find them on opposite sides you lay your body down and find a way to bridge that gap.

Sincerely,
Blues Fans Everywhere

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
I can understand why coaches split players that are on fire together. Sometimes it is to get another line going, or take advantage of matchups, or due to injury/exhaustion or because of an unfortunate mix of locker room vapors and Ebola causing some amount of mental instability.

To prevent the latter Hitchcock needs someone on the Blues bench (Muller perhaps? The powerplay doesn't look that good) to remind him of this when his eyes start glazing over and he sends Lehtera and Tarasenko out at different times.

Also, I can't believe I'm going to say this, but last night was the best game I've seen Jackman play this year. His physicality did the most to neutralize zone incursions by the Stars and his nastier style of play did more to distract them.
Cole has to pick that up before Jackman leaves the team, because the half dozen times Ian played the body he was remarkably more effective than he was when not. Blocked shots in the third not included of course.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Also while the game was exciting and showed some resiliency this was not a good game by the Blues. Repeatedly allowing far too much room to get into the zone while their own zone entries tended to bounce between ineffectual and disastrous.
Against Dallas whose defense could be likened to a screen door.
With gaping holes in it.
Large enough for an entire swarm of Asian Hornets to go through without touching the sides.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
On the powerplay:

I realize the Blues want Oshie out there on the #1.
But the Blues need a puck distributor out there. Oshie is fine as the backup one since Stastny is out, but Lehtera is currently the best one and needs to be out there with Tarasenko.

Oshie should be bumped down to #2 unless he's going to sit in front of the net. At the moment he's not effective enough in the offensive zone to be the puck distributor they need. His shot isn't good enough (Takes too much time) for him to be the triggerman either.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I think I noticed something about Tarasenko's 2nd goal that nobody has caught yet; he drew a penalty on the play. He ref's arm goes up right before he gets the shot off.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Also while the game was exciting and showed some resiliency this was not a good game by the Blues. Repeatedly allowing far too much room to get into the zone while their own zone entries tended to bounce between ineffectual and disastrous.
Against Dallas whose defense could be likened to a screen door.
With gaping holes in it.
Large enough for an entire swarm of Asian Hornets to go through without touching the sides.
We were very lucky to come out of there with a win. Our defensive coverage was pretty awful. Quite frankly I was cringing every time the puck was in our end.

I had two major positives out of this game: Lehtera and Tarasenko were absolutely dominant. Dallas didn't have any answers for what they were doing. That pair shouldn't be split this year, and that includes on the power play.
Second positive was Elliott. Despite the fact that the pure numbers didn't look great, he played excellent. I know he let in a softy to Daley, but he more than made up for it with multiple big stops when we needed them. He bent, but didn't break if you will and kept us in the game until the Lehterasenkshow took over.
On the powerplay:

I realize the Blues want Oshie out there on the #1.
But the Blues need a puck distributor out there. Oshie is fine as the backup one since Stastny is out, but Lehtera is currently the best one and needs to be out there with Tarasenko.

Oshie should be bumped down to #2 unless he's going to sit in front of the net. At the moment he's not effective enough in the offensive zone to be the puck distributor they need. His shot isn't good enough (Takes too much time) for him to be the triggerman either.
I want to see them running the first unit through Lehtera and Tarasenko. Unlike most of the team, those two understand that movement is your friend and that you have to be unpredictable.

RR10*

Agree. Sure Dallas top line is good but not that good. We gave them too much space to do whatever they wanted in our zone. I doubt they are that much dominant against other teams.

Did you notice how easily Dallas entered our zone with the man advantage? While we had to dump and chase every time, even on the 5 vs 3. Pathetic.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Agree. Sure Dallas top line is good but not that good. We gave them too much space to do whatever they wanted in our zone. I doubt they are that much dominant against other teams.

Did you notice how easily Dallas entered our zone with the man advantage? While we had to dump and chase every time, even on the 5 vs 3. Pathetic.

Our defense against the top line took a major hit when Backes left, and our PP has always been terrible. Hopefully the Lehterasenkshow(TM) becomes the new go-to powerplay.

Backes to the wall

Oct 20, 2014
West Coast Canada
When Seabrook took out Backes during the playoffs, the series was over imo.
Same as last night, the Blues looked great in the first period, then wilted after he went down.
The team even when completely healthy will be a playoff team, but again in my opinion need that 1 more power forward to be a legit contender.
Think about it, to win a cup we would have to win a best of 7 against a Dallas/Minny rd1 Chicago Rd2, the strongest remaining Cali team Rd3 then likely a Bruins/Pens/Rags team in the finals.
I think we can definitely win a Rd1 match up, and funny enough win against ANY eastern team...its the rounds 2-3 that I worry about.
I know a lot of people say to wait until we see what we are like when completely healthy.
I think opportunity only comes around so often, and when teams like
Philly/Boston have identified that they have a weakness in a position, you jump on that opportunity.
This is not a case of a panicking, I don't think the sky is falling, and I really like the team. I just shudder to think that Ott is our go to guy when we have an ailing Backes.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I think I noticed something about Tarasenko's 2nd goal that nobody has caught yet; he drew a penalty on the play. He ref's arm goes up right before he gets the shot off.

Yeah they mentioned it on the Stars broadcast, most likely Garbutt for holding.

gumption

Jun 28, 2014
St. Louis
dunno if lehtera/tarasenko can keep this going, but hopefully they can?
i've been more impressed with ott, though, except for his penalties, but that's his job.
lappy/reaves = best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad