Pre-Game Talk: ♥♥ Game #55: Canucks @ Flames || Saturday February 14th 2♥15 || 7PM PST ♥♥

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
13 starts is pretty good for a backup at this point in the season. Willie is treating Miler-Lack as a true starter-backup tandem not a 1A-1B that we've been used to for the last few seasons.

Lack will start around 20-22 games when the season is all said and done.

Miller isn't capable of starting that much imo. He's been overworked thus far

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Miller isn't capable of starting that much imo. He's been overworked thus far

Agreed. Miller isn't use to the tough travel of the Western Conference. I don't think he should be worked over like a dog. I'm afraid he is going to wear down at the wrong point.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
It was more of a joke than anything. It obviously makes no sense to just trade a good depth player, or backup goalie just so he can go and have a good chance elsewhere...that's not how you win in this league.

Sorry, I missed the sarcasm. And it wasn't directed at you specifically.

It just amazes me how many times people post the comment, "if he isn't going to play more and be given a real shot, move him on somewhere else and let him have a real shot." It is crazy talk. Every teams need assets and depth to have a chance to get through a season or playoffs with success. Players with smaller roles will earn opportunities, and they will present themselves when others get hurt. You want 2 or 3 players chomping at the bit and disappointed they didn't get the opportunity when one comes along that someone else fills. And then that player will finally get their chance, be hungry, and grab the horns, filling a team for the need as it comes up.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
I see these type of comments a lot when it comes to players people perceive are not getting a big enough role. They blow my mind!!!:snakehead

Why the heck would we move a useful support player of any kind just to give them a chance to fulfill their career elsewhere? Even if they are the 13th forward, the 8th defensemen, the 3rd goalie, and they are an asset to the team, they are a valuable piece of our puzzle. Just to move them on to "give them there shot in their career" makes no sense to me at all.

Huge pet peeve of mine.

Move them on because they don't fit here, move them because they are a cancer, move them to get another asset we need more; but please do not move anyone to help them out, if they are contributing to the team success or depth in any way. Depth is tough to com by- Hold onto it. And when their time comes, their contract is running out, we can no longer hold onto to them, manage the asset (the player) by trading him at the appropriate time.

I think some fans are frustrated with Vancouver management and their inability to recognize the talent of Eddie Lack.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Agreed. Miller isn't use to the tough travel of the Western Conference. I don't think he should be worked over like a dog. I'm afraid he is going to wear down at the wrong point.

Miller is an average starter goalie in the NHL. Even the top goalies in the league don't play 60 games, let alone average, so there's absolutely no way he should be up there especially considering the quality of the backup we have.

Also of course add in his age, his noted poor play when overworked and the travel too. The handling of goalies has been up there with the handling of 2nd PP unit under WDJ.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Sorry, I missed the sarcasm. And it wasn't directed at you specifically.

It just amazes me how many times people post the comment, "if he isn't going to play more and be given a real shot, move him on somewhere else and let him have a real shot." It is crazy talk. Every teams need assets and depth to have a chance to get through a season or playoffs with success. Players with smaller roles will earn opportunities, and they will present themselves when others get hurt. You want 2 or 3 players chomping at the bit and disappointed they didn't get the opportunity when one comes along that someone else fills. And then that player will finally get their chance, be hungry, and grab the horns, filling a team for the need as it comes up.

I've seen something along those lines posted around here, so I see where you are coming from. Anyways, I still think Lack should be playing more, especially in back-to-back games. I'm still a firm believer Lack was ready to take over this season and I'm pretty positive he'll be able to take over next season if given a shot. Like I said, Miller just isn't used to the tough travel schedule we have to endure throughout the course of an NHL season. I'm really worried he is going to burn out at the wrong time, and we'll have to throw in a col Lack to the wolves to save this team.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Miller is an average starter goalie in the NHL. Even the top goalies in the league don't play 60 games, let alone average, so there's absolutely no way he should be up there considering the quality of a backup we have.

Add in his age, his noted poor play when overworked and the travel too. The handling of goalies has been up there with the handling of 2nd PP unit under WDJ.

Agree with all of this. The quality of backup with have in Lack, should take pressure off Miller, and let him rest more. Miller should be going into the playoffs feeling extremely fresh, since we have a dependable goalie in Lack behind him. I feel like it's going to be the opposite.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Posters want to see him play more. I don't see the issue.

Two very different issues:

1) Poster believes in Lack and likes him a lot, wants him to do well, and wants him to play because they believe he can help team. Great stuff. Enjoy the opportunities when he plays and hope for more opportunity.

2) Poster is "sick of treatment" of the back-up goalie being treated like a back up goalie. Makes no sense. To me, it is called role definition- critical to team success. The issue I posted I didn't understand was why anyone would consider his treatment sickening. He is a back up goalie and being treated like a very well respected one.

Also, I am a huge fan of Lack. Cool dude and good GK. I was also a huge fan of Schnieder. The lack of role definition in this team has led to arguably, one of the most tumultuous times in recent team history. I do not want to see any new GK controversy in our team. It does not just hurt the GK's.

As someone who is not a big fan of Miller's (me), and is a big fan of Lack's (me), please play Miller in any "Winter Classic" like games that come up until you are ready and able to move Miller for the right package to help the team be more successful.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I've seen something along those lines posted around here, so I see where you are coming from. Anyways, I still think Lack should be playing more, especially in back-to-back games. I'm still a firm believer Lack was ready to take over this season and I'm pretty positive he'll be able to take over next season if given a shot. Like I said, Miller just isn't used to the tough travel schedule we have to endure throughout the course of an NHL season. I'm really worried he is going to burn out at the wrong time, and we'll have to throw in a col Lack to the wolves to save this team.

This I agree with. It is reasonable to suggest that back to backs are the obvious time to get Lack games. On the surface, it appears to be an odd decision, in my view. But that doesn't reflect on treating Lack poorly. It just reflects on an internal coaching decision that we don't have the information to understand.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Miller is on pace for what 62 games? Pretty much he career average. Little surprised that he is playing both halves of a back to back though if the plan is to play him in the next game....

Its fun at times watching the initial emotional reaction of this board when it involves a favorite, other times its sad.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
This game is very huge if they intend to make the playoffs, and I know the team will be tired. Lets win tonight and send the Flames back to hell. :handclap:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
This I agree with. It is reasonable to suggest that back to backs are the obvious time to get Lack games. On the surface, it appears to be an odd decision, in my view. But that doesn't reflect on treating Lack poorly. It just reflects on an internal coaching decision that we don't have the information to understand.

I agree, but it's bound to receive criticism. Just like the second PP unit (that probably won't be changed this game either).

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Miller is on pace for what 62 games? Pretty much he career average. Little surprised that he is playing both halves of a back to back though if the plan is to play him in the next game....

Its fun at times watching the initial emotional reaction of this board when it involves a favorite, other times its sad.

Yeah but the travel in the West is much worse. It can easily wear him down faster.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Why is everyone *****ing about Miller getting the start? This is a huge game against a rival and a team just 2 points back in the standings essentially making this a 4 point game. You play your starter in a game like this. I like Lack as much as the next fan, I think he has a great personality and some good potential, but he hasn't exactly forced his way into the crease in his last few starts either.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Good luck guys. :) Hopefully we can start to hate each other again, a relationship that both of us want, right? :)

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Miller is an average starter goalie in the NHL. Even the top goalies in the league don't play 60 games, let alone average, so there's absolutely no way he should be up there especially considering the quality of the backup we have.

Also of course add in his age, his noted poor play when overworked and the travel too. The handling of goalies has been up there with the handling of 2nd PP unit under WDJ.

Other than Miller is tied with 3 others for 12 in games played. 3 games separates him and the 19th most and 4 to 21 and so on. He is not playing more then the average starting goalie and the only 'top goalies' he has played more than have dealt with injuries.

He is an average starting goaltender playing an average amount of game. Do we want to see Lack more? Absolutely so far it isn't really out of line.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Lol, this is why we always have goalie controversy in Van. A bunch of fans have ***** on back up goalie.
Don't get me wrong I love Lack as a player. But I understand that he's a back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad