Speculation: ★ 2017 Offseason Thread ★

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
This is a 22 man roster with projected RFA salaries and the 2 scenarios where you buyout or bury Niemi. I don't think they'll keep 8 D, at least I hope not. Still, the 8th D salary will be similar to the 13th forward so it's hopefully a wash.

Benn|$9,500,000
Spezza|$7,500,000
Seguin|$5,750,000
Roussel|$2,000,000
Faksa|$1,500,000
Ritchie|$1,500,000
Dickinson|$894,167
Shore|$870,000
Elie|$745.000
Janmark|$700,000
McKenzie|$700,000
Cracknell|$675,000
Total|$32,334,167

Klingberg|$4,250,000
Hamhuis|$3,750,000
Lindell|$1,250,000
Oleksiak|$964,688
Nemeth|$945,000
Honka|$863,333
Pateryn|$800,000
Johns|$725,000
Total|$13,548,021

Bishop|$4,916,667
Lehtonen| $5,900,000
Niemi Buyout| $1,500,000
Total|$12,316,667

Cap|$75,000,000
Cap Hits|$58,198,855
Cap Space|$16,801,145

VS.

Benn|$9,500,000
Spezza|$7,500,000
Seguin|$5,750,000
Roussel|$2,000,000
Faksa|$1,500,000
Ritchie|$1,500,000
Dickinson|$894,167
Shore|$870,000
Elie|$745.000
Janmark|$700,000
McKenzie|$700,000
Cracknell|$675,000
Total|$32,334,167

Klingberg|$4,250,000
Hamhuis|$3,750,000
Lindell|$1,250,000
Oleksiak|$964,688
Nemeth|$945,000
Honka|$863,333
Pateryn|$800,000
Johns|$725,000
Total|$13,548,021

Bishop|$4,916,667
Lehtonen| $5,900,000
Niemi Bury|$3,475,000
Total|$14,291,667

Cap|$75,000,000
Cap Hits|$60,173,855
Cap Space|$14,826,145

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The current roster probably would project to something like ....

Benn-Seguin-Ritchie
Janmark-Spezza-Shore
Roussel-Faksa-McKenzie
Elie-Dickinson-Cracknell

Lindell-Klingberg
Hamhuis-Honka
Oleksiak-Johns
Nemeth-Pateryn

Bishop
Lehtonen

Obviously that's not good enough. You can't go into next season looking like that. You probably need (2) Top 6 RW's and I'd like to push Lindell down the lineup. Getting someone better than Lindell seems like that's not going to be as easy as we had hoped with all those side deals Vegas pulled.

You really need three pieces at minimum. I'd feel more comfortable if Shore was pushed out of the Top 6 on paper. Janmark's injury makes me nervous, and I assume Shore is the best internal replacement if he can't go. I like Roussel quite a bit, but I don't want to see him next to Spezza because we didn't plan well enough for Janmark's injury.

If you can push Ritchie out of the Top 6 with a significant Top 6 improvement, I'd be OK with that, but I'd like to see what he could do up there after the numbers he put up last year in a reduced role. Plus, he'd already have internal pressure, on paper, from Shore if he struggles.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - XX__ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Trade for Methot, sign Oshie & Eaves? Too much of a pipedream?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
They say Eaves is resigning in ANA. We could sign both Sharp and Hemsky for the total that Sharp played for last year, if desired. Don't think Hitch would entertain E Kane's attitude at RW.....Eberle not far behind because he is soft. Not sure what else is out there, but think we will find some 15 goal guy to plug in there and hope others up their game.

Seems like the easiest LHD pickup is UFA B Smith, and he has the Detroit connection. Or, Methot for the 29th and another asset/prospect. I doubt we get Brodin. Inter division and too expensive for Nill, who always likes value.

Hey, all rosters under a cap system have flaws. Wouldn't be a slam dunk Cup favorite, but then, who would be?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Trade for Methot, sign Oshie & Eaves? Too much of a pipedream?

I don't want Eaves, and I think he's going to sign with Anaheim anyway. I'd argue Radulov over Oshie, but let's just call it a wash and say similar money ... you fill in the name you like best. We'll call it $6 million. Just for let's say you throw Eberle in at $6 million as well. Methot is at $4.9 million. That's a total of $16.9 million in cap space. Now you also have to dump let's just say Oleksiak and Nemeth.

If you bought out Niemi, you'd have $73,189,167 invested in cap space which is pretty reasonable to start a season with having nearly $2 million in cap space. If you bury Niemi, you'd be over the cap by $164,167, but you'd be carrying 14 forwards. You could go under the cap by waiving McKenzie or Cracknall. You have about $500K in cap space at that point which isn't great, but it's better than most teams.

Benn-Seguin-Radulov
Janmark-Spezza-Eberle
Roussel-Faksa-Ritchie
Elie-Dickinson-Shore
McKenzie-Cracknall

Methot-Klingberg
Hamhuis-Honka
Lindell-Johns
Pateryn

Bishop
Lehtonen

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I know we hadn't talked about him much, but what do people think about Nate Schmidt. I'm surprised nothing has leaked about Washington yet. As of about 3 hours, the Washington beat reporter said that Schmidt and his representation had heard nothing from Vegas or Washington.

With Vegas passing on guys like Mrazek and Raanta, does it make sense to think Grubauer is their plan. He could be a 1A or 1B situation with MAF, and he'd only be 27 years old when MAF's contract expires, perfect to take over as the full time starter.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Nill was there when they drafted Brendan Smith FWIW and Oshie is a lowlife who went to North Dakota. Also he said bad things about Hitchcock's system so I doubt he's in a hurry to come back to it. I don't get why people want Methot, sans Karlson he's not good and Klingberg isn't Karlson. Do our best with #29 instead of trading it for somebody like that please.

I'm not head over heels for it, but I have been thinking about Sharp and Hemsky coming back. 1 year deals are gone as soon as we need space for Gurainov and Nichushkin, plus its a guaranteed two dozen NHL games this year if Gurianov is ready when they get hurt. Like I said, not over the moon but it sounded like Nill was ready to bring Sharp back and Hemsky was great with Faksa.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I know we hadn't talked about him much, but what do people think about Nate Schmidt. I'm surprised nothing has leaked about Washington yet. As of about 3 hours, the Washington beat reporter said that Schmidt and his representation had heard nothing from Vegas or Washington.

With Vegas passing on guys like Mrazek and Raanta, does it make sense to think Grubauer is their plan. He could be a 1A or 1B situation with MAF, and he'd only be 27 years old when MAF's contract expires, perfect to take over as the full time starter.

If Vegas doesn't take Schmidt why would the Caps want to move him?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If Vegas doesn't take Schmidt why would the Caps want to move him?

I see that wasn't clear .... meant if they do take Schmidt but was also pointing out that there's still a very good chance they don't because of Grubauer.

I'm going to give you credit for this so just take it if I'm wrong, but it looks like EVERYONE including the experts were wrong about Vegas taking buttloads of goalies. Now I see people talking about the might have taken the bare minimum of 3. I guess we'll see, but I mean if you think about it reasonably D do tend to have better trade value than goalies, and I thought that was a point you made recently.

Wasn't McPhee quoted yesterday saying they took a ton of D?

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
They say Eaves is resigning in ANA. We could sign both Sharp and Hemsky for the total that Sharp played for last year, if desired. Don't think Hitch would entertain E Kane's attitude at RW.....Eberle not far behind because he is soft. Not sure what else is out there, but think we will find some 15 goal guy to plug in there and hope others up their game.

Seems like the easiest LHD pickup is UFA B Smith, and he has the Detroit connection. Or, Methot for the 29th and another asset/prospect. I doubt we get Brodin. Inter division and too expensive for Nill, who always likes value.

Hey, all rosters under a cap system have flaws. Wouldn't be a slam dunk Cup favorite, but then, who would be?

That would still be a bubble team, maybe slightly better if Hitch has a Roy-like effect in his first year. Frankly, I'd rather we trade 29OV + prospect for a forward if the best D we can land in trade is overrated Methot.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Nill was there when they drafted Brendan Smith FWIW

Now that all the best D seem to have been protected through side deals, he's probably my first pick. Although it does mean Lindell probably sticks on the top pair. I don't have a major issue with that, but it's like Ritchie and Shore for me. I want to see them play up the lineup, but I'd like to see them have some competition.

I only used Methot for Latavian and to show that Dallas could pretty much add (2) $6 million wingers and a $5 million defender this off-season.

I don't really have a personal preference among the forwards. Probably Eberle at the top, but a big part of that is he's only signed for 2 more years. Kane's underlying numbers are good (aside from virtually no primary assists to speak of) so I guess people don't want him because of attitude? I could take him or leave him depending on the acquisition cost.

I honestly really like the idea of Hemsky coming back, and thank you for making me not feel crazy to think part of it is I expect to him to get hurt and I assume that means I'll get to see Gurianov some. I really like how Hemsky looks with Faksa.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I see that wasn't clear .... meant if they do take Schmidt but was also pointing out that there's still a very good chance they don't because of Grubauer.

I'm going to give you credit for this so just take it if I'm wrong, but it looks like EVERYONE including the experts were wrong about Vegas taking buttloads of goalies. Now I see people talking about the might have taken the bare minimum of 3. I guess we'll see, but I mean if you think about it reasonably D do tend to have better trade value than goalies, and I thought that was a point you made recently.

Wasn't McPhee quoted yesterday saying they took a ton of D?

Credit for what? This has become very confusing.

My take is Schmidt is good and if I were GM of the Caps I would not want to trade him if he gets spared from Vegas. If I was GM of Vegas I would probably not want to trade him either because they passed on some solid guys in exchange for picks. If Vegas didn't make a big play for Alzner or Oshie, then Grubauer would be a good option as a future starter like you said and not a player they would trade to Dallas.

IIRC he was quoted saying that and if you are giving me credit for saying they should do that months ago then I accept. My idea didn't involve Derick Engeland or Clayton Stoner though, seems like Shinkaruk or something would have been better there especially if they get Sbisa's cap hit from Vancouver. There are always too many goalies, grabbing a bunch with Mason, Elliott, and Miller still out there means probably getting stuck with 2 extras. Arizona and Vancouver are the big starterless teams left? No hopers with rosters filled with crap do not start bidding wars over Antti Raanta or Peter Mrazek.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Apparently Brayden McNabb was selected by Vegas. His suppression and possession numbers are nice, but IDK that he's a major improvement in Dallas.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Credit for what? This has become very confusing.

My take is Schmidt is good and if I were GM of the Caps I would not want to trade him if he gets spared from Vegas. If I was GM of Vegas I would probably not want to trade him either because they passed on some solid guys in exchange for picks. If Vegas didn't make a big play for Alzner or Oshie, then Grubauer would be a good option as a future starter like you said and not a player they would trade to Dallas.

IIRC he was quoted saying that and if you are giving me credit for saying they should do that months ago then I accept. My idea didn't involve Derick Engeland or Clayton Stoner though, seems like Shinkaruk or something would have been better there especially if they get Sbisa's cap hit from Vancouver. There are always too many goalies, grabbing a bunch with Mason, Elliott, and Miller still out there means probably getting stuck with 2 extras. Arizona and Vancouver are the big starterless teams left? No hopers with rosters filled with crap do not start bidding wars over Antti Raanta or Peter Mrazek.

I was giving you credit for saying Vegas probably wouldn't take a ton of goalies specifically because of their notorious lower trade value. I think you were specifically referring to MAF who they took anyway. The point still stands from you though that goalies value typically aren't that high. Popular opinion from the media though has been Vegas would draft 5 or more goalies. As news leaks out, so far the names everyone expected to see have not been selected.

I was just originally pointing out that Schmidt could still be the guy from Washington but realized that I needed to point out that Grubauer is a serious contender as well. The only thing that matter was I was curious if someone was interested in Schmidt given he's one of the few remaining D that don't seem to have been protected.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I'm just not sure we are in a strong trading position. Unless we downsize from 3 to 6 or 8 I don't see the assets needed to make a big splash. If we can snake a Reilly Smith type out for cheap then great, but I don't see us being a major player on Eberle in particular.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm just not sure we are in a strong trading position. Unless we downsize from 3 to 6 or 8 I don't see the assets needed to make a big splash. If we can snake a Reilly Smith type out for cheap then great, but I don't see us being a major player on Eberle in particular.

I never read the whole article, but at least 1 or 2 Edmonton writers were saying they don't think Eberle is going to get the return everyone expects. I expected something like Hamonic. Thought it worked for both sides. I guess we'll see, but I don't think you're wrong it could be hard to acquire him.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
So Vegas has taken

Reinhart, Stoner, McNabb, Methot, TVR, Schlemko, Engelland (ufa), C. Miller, Emelin, Sbisa for defencemen

Caps, Jets, Tampa , Devils, Avs, Canes and Ari are left unknown for whos been taken

Not much there for us to trade for on D

We might be out of luck acquiring a good LHD unless Nill can pull some magic out of a black hat

Sounds like it's Jason Garrison from Tampa

LT

Jul 23, 2010
This seems to be the best guess so far:

Player Selected | Position | Team Selected From
Clayton Stoner* | Defender | Anaheim Ducks
Teemu Pulkkinen | Winger | Arizona Coyotes
Colin Miller | Defender | Boston Bruins
William Carrier | Winger | Buffalo Sabres
Derek Engelland | Defender | Calgary Flames
Connor Brickley | Forward | Carolina Hurricanes
Trevor van Riemsdyk | Defender | Chicago Blackhawks
Calvin Pickard | Goaltender | Colorado Avalanche
William Karlsson* | Center | Columbus Blue Jackets
Cody Eakin | Center | Dallas Stars
Tomas Nosek | Winger | Detroit Red Wings
Griffin Reinhart | Defender | Edmonton Oilers
Jonathan Marchessault* | Center | Florida Panthers
Brayden McNabb | Defender | Los Angeles Kings
Erik Haula* | Center | Minnesota Wild
Alexei Emelin | Defender | Montreal Canadiens
James Neal | Winger | Nashville Predators
Jon Merrill | Defender | New Jersey Devils
Jean-Francois Berube* | Goaltender | New York Islanders
Oscar Lindberg | Center | New York Rangers
Marc Methot | Defender | Ottawa Senators
Pierre-Eduoard Bellemare | Winger | Philadelphia Flyers
Marc-Andre Fleury | Goaltender | Pittsburgh Penguins
David Schlemko | Defender | San Jose Sharks
David Perron | Winger | St. Louis Blues
Jason Garrison* | Defender | Tampa Bay Lightning
Brendan Leipsic | Winger | Toronto Maple Leafs
Luca Sbisa | Defender | Vancouver Canucks
Nate Schmidt | Defender | Washington Capitals
Chris Thorburn | Forward | Winnipeg Jets

*Also acquiring another player from said team
ANA - Shea Theodore
CBJ - David Clarkson
FLA - Reilly Smith
MIN - Alex Tuch
NYI - Mikhail Grabovski
TBL - Nikita Gusev

And they've already signed Vadim Shipachov and Reed Duke.

Last edited:

LT

Jul 23, 2010
That's 11 forwards (they need 14), 11 defenders, and 2 goalies (they need 3).

Apparently, their final list only had them selecting 13 forwards, so they had to change a pick up and select another. That means they likely selected 13 defenders.

So we're waiting to hear about 3 forwards, 2 defenders, and 1 goaltender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad