Speculation: ★ 2017 Offseason Thread ★

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
What do we add to get from our 1st to the 2nd OA? This is our best chance to replace Spezza and if we think the top 2 are NHL ready we can get something right away.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I like the thought of TJ Oshie landing here. If he ends up on the market and we were to go after him, his relationship with Hitch likely plays a role one way or another.

Whole bunch of question marks at wing right now. Older pending UFAs with health issues, Lord knows regarding Janmark and Nichushkin. Cracknell, Mckenzie, Roussel, Elie, Ritchie....after Benn it gets fairly thin. There are certainly bodies, but no real solid top line/top 6 options.

I can't help but think of RW Jordan Eberle here in Edmonton since I see him all the time. I'm not at all his biggest fan, but I'm not the one in the GM chair.

Things for the most part point to no

- Not exactly a Hitchcock type of player
- Not proving worthy of the $6 million/per

Still, just 2 seasons left on his deal, so not a huge commitment, and at age 26 you would have to think there's still more in the tank as far as numbers go. In a different situation he could return to 25-30 goal form. I do see Edmonton looking at moving him in the summer and I don't think his cost would be extremely high.

Again, not a fan of his, but taking a step back and just looking at what positions we could be looking to fill and who will probably be available, he does fit the bill. Definitely like Oshie better though.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Last summer, every stat guy in hockey wanted Jonathan Marchessault. Florida signs him, and scores 30 goals on a 750k salary.

This summer, every stat guy in hockey is going to want Jordan Weal.

When it comes to underappreciated depth forwards, trust the #smartcalculatorboys

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Last summer, every stat guy in hockey wanted Jonathan Marchessault...He just scored 30 goals on a 750k salary.

This summer, every stat guy in hockey is going to want Jordan Weal.

When it comes to underappreciated depth forwards, trust the #smartcalculatorboys

But their #sliderules were mean to #goodhockeyguy Gerard Gallant. Didn't even order him a Lyft on their Zunes. #Computerboys make me SAD!

In all seriousness, pretty soon all that will be built into player valuation and there won't be a market inefficiency to exploit. It would be great if we could swoop in and snake him out but I'm not expecting it to work that way.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Karl Alzner

Anybody see this...

“The ones that get you inside the knee usually don’t feel good because you can’t really do a whole lot,” Alzner said. “They just send that shooting pain down your leg and you start hobbling around a little bit. Those ones suck.”

“Sometimes where you get hit right in the hand, we have gloves on, but they only protect you a little bit,” Alzner continued. “You get them right in the hand, it’s pretty easy to break something. It’s kind of embarrassing, but my wife (Mandy) is the one who opens up all the jars in our house because my hands have been broken so many times from the shots. I’ve got pretty weak hands now.”

Alzner concluded that getting hit inside or outside the knee can cause a “dead leg feeling” which, in his words, “suck.” Meanwhile, a puck striking the hand can cause “long term” damage.

No wonder Alzner can't pass or shoot, he's so broken down the poor guy can't even open a jar of mayonnaise.

Link: http://www.russianmachineneverbreak...ed-shots-karl-alzner-can-no-longer-open-jars/

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Some talk of Eakin being moved on the main boards.

Please, hockey gods?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Some talk of Eakin being moved on the main boards.

Please, hockey gods?

What are the odds of Eakin being available, and what are the odds of Nichushkin being available?

I feel as if though either could be looked at by Arizona's front office, but only for the right price...

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
What are the odds of Eakin being available, and what are the odds of Nichushkin being available?

I feel as if though either could be looked at by Arizona's front office, but only for the right price...

Eakin absolutely should be available and might even be cheap.

Nichushkin is more of a question mark. Personally, I'd like to hang on to him and give him another chance. I get the impression Nill does too, but we can't be sure.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Eakin absolutely should be available and might even be cheap.

Nichushkin is more of a question mark. Personally, I'd like to hang on to him and give him another chance. I get the impression Nill does too, but we can't be sure.

Thank you. I have actually been thinking about how both teams could wind up getting a deal together, assuming neither Dallas nor Arizona finishes in the top 4 for the draft. Arizona is about 4 picks ahead of Dallas, so if lottery luck does not go the Coyotes way, I could see something surrounding the #5 OA to Dallas for #9 OA and Eakin. May need a little something extra, and if Nichushkin were available, the Coyotes can look to offload a LW like Rieder or Martinook in exchange (will be tough to deal either one, though). Also looks like Dallas could use some LW depth.

Gives Dallas the opportunity to get a player like Middelstadt, and the Coyotes can move back and really get any RHS or RW that they can (Tippett, Necas, Glass, and Kostin are all players I would prefer to move back for, rather than use the #5 OA).

What value do you put on a player like Eakin? 2nd rounder? Multiple picks? Eakin would definitely provide a little more transition opportunity for the Coyotes while Strome, Keller, and some other C possibilities grow their game.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Thank you. I have actually been thinking about how both teams could wind up getting a deal together, assuming neither Dallas nor Arizona finishes in the top 4 for the draft. Arizona is about 4 picks ahead of Dallas, so if lottery luck does not go the Coyotes way, I could see something surrounding the #5 OA to Dallas for #9 OA and Eakin. May need a little something extra, and if Nichushkin were available, the Coyotes can look to offload a LW like Rieder or Martinook in exchange (will be tough to deal either one, though). Also looks like Dallas could use some LW depth.

Gives Dallas the opportunity to get a player like Middelstadt, and the Coyotes can move back and really get any RHS or RW that they can (Tippett, Necas, Glass, and Kostin are all players I would prefer to move back for, rather than use the #5 OA).

What value do you put on a player like Eakin? 2nd rounder? Multiple picks? Eakin would definitely provide a little more transition opportunity for the Coyotes while Strome, Keller, and some other C possibilities grow their game.

5th for 9th + Eakin?

Where do I sign?

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I would jump at that deal also. I think Eakin can be a good player again but just not in Dallas. He has been passed by better players

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I would jump at that deal also. I think Eakin can be a good player again but just not in Dallas. He has been passed by better players

Hmmm, sounds like I am overvaluing Eakin's trade value...

It sets up an interesting scenario, where Dallas has a high rating for player(s) that are lower on the Coyotes board. Especially since it seems like this draft may turn into who makes the best decisions after about pick #4. I think it is safe to assume that a consensus top 4 players will come into play, followed by a very large 2nd tier of players. Might be the basis for something that is discussed by both parties if neither moves up in the draft lottery and the Coyotes wind up moving back, based on their lottery odds.

Cheers.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Eakin is just a redundant piece in Dallas. He is at best the 4th best center in Dallas. I would jump at any chance to move him for something valuable to make the team better

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yes, redundant pieces are the key to making trades. We just have to find a team that has redundant stud LHD....or goalies. Eakin is a nice piece.

That said, wouldn't a rebuilding Yotes team prefer younger Shore? (or really, Faksa) Wouldn't Eakin fit better on a team with Cup hopes that would prefer his experience and immediate potential?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Yes, redundant pieces are the key to making trades. We just have to find a team that has redundant stud LHD....or goalies. Eakin is a nice piece.

That said, wouldn't a rebuilding Yotes team prefer younger Shore? (or really, Faksa) Wouldn't Eakin fit better on a team with Cup hopes that would prefer his experience and immediate potential?

Eakin's only 3 years older than Shore. Really not much of a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad