Friedman: “Toronto would move Martin Marincin”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
They day I know I will never have to watch Marincin in a Leafs uniform again, I will break out the celebration booze. One of those guys who seems really nice.. He can play a game or 2 and look competent.. But after that his flaws REALLY show.

My advice would be only to take him if you need a PKer and can shelter him elsewhere.. He is quite good on the PK but that's about it.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Might pick up a 7th. He does what you want out of a #7 for league minimum, and I am somewhat surprised they are even putting him up for grabs.

Guess they figured he would not be impossible to move and it would open up some flexibility on the roster.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I remember like 5 or 6 years ago there was an Oilers fan claiming that Edmonton was going to be the next Chicago because their forwards were equivalent to Toews & Kane & Hossa & Sharp. I asked him who their version of Keith was and he said Marincin. I'll see if I can dig it up.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
What would be the point of moving a $700K player when you're dead-against the cap? There is literally no one cheaper in their system.

You're not going to get any kind of asset you can use now in return. At best you're getting a 6th or 7th that might help you in 5 years.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
What would be the point of moving a $700K player when you're dead-against the cap? There is literally no one cheaper in their system.

You're not going to get any kind of asset you can use now in return. At best you're getting a 6th or 7th that might help you in 5 years.

It's just an attempt to get the player a spot somewhere else in the NHL or AHL. They won't really care what the return is. There is no room for Marincin on the Leafs. They can send him down and I assume he will pass through waivers, but then what do they do with him? The Marlies already have more than enough D - I think they are carrying 9 already - so many that they had to send Hollowell and Duszak (2 young D who played well with the Marlies in the playoffs last season) to the ECHL to get them ice time.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
It's just an attempt to get the player a spot somewhere else in the NHL or AHL. They won't really care what the return is. There is no room for Marincin on the Leafs. They can send him down and I assume he will pass through waivers, but then what do they do with him? The Marlies already have more than enough D - I think they are carrying 9 already - so many that they had to send Hollowell and Duszak (2 young D who played well with the Marlies in the playoffs last season) to the ECHL to get them ice time.

It just seems like an odd decision. Like if you go down three defensemen in the playoffs, who are you going to play? if you want to clear a spot, why wouldn't you get rid of Gravel or Harpur?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
It just seems like an odd decision. Like if you go down three defensemen in the playoffs, who are you going to play? if you want to clear a spot, why wouldn't you get rid of Gravel or Harpur?

Both Gravel and Harpur can bring a level of nastiness that Marincin can't - both on the Leafs and on the Marlies. Marincin had played 6 games early, but Babs was clearly not happy with him and they brought up Gravel and bumped Marincin out of the lineup. I really think that the only reason Marincin was in the lineup at the start of the year was because Sandin had experience playing with him on the Marlies, so he was initially considered a partner to allow Sandin to feel more comfortable if the latter stuck with the big club.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Holl is 675k because we signed him to a two-year deal when the vet minimum was lower ;)

This is probably more of a move to provide room for Hollowell and Duszak, and they obviously do not feel that Schmaltz or Gravel are huge downgrades... Or maybe they'd rather have an extra RHD like Schmaltz on the team because they are still not certain about Holl's ability to stick in the lineup long term.

If we go down three defensemen in the playoffs, we are dead with or without Marincin.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

As to who would they play if they go down to 3 D in the playoffs - The 3 D remaining in the lineup plus some combination of Sandin, Liljegren, Schmaltz Gravel and Kivihalme.

If they had a top-4 opening right now the first choice to cover that would undoubtedly be bringing Dermott up from the third pair. The second choice would be bringing Sandin back up from the AHL. As Bob McKenzie said when Sandin was sent down - Sandin couldn't get the ice-time he needed with the Leafs, but he was not just the Leafs' 5th best D in the lineup, but most games was higher than the 5th best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce