Friedman: “Toronto would move Martin Marincin”

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
As to who would they play if they go down to 3 D in the playoffs - The 3 D remaining in the lineup plus some combination of Sandin, Liljegren, Schmaltz Gravel and Kivihalme.

If they had a top-4 opening right now the first choice to cover that would undoubtedly be bringing Dermott up from the third pair. The second choice would be bringing Sandin back up from the AHL. As Bob McKenzie said when Sandin was sent down - Sandin couldn't get the ice-time he needed with the Leafs, but he was not just the Leafs' 5th best D in the lineup, but most games was higher than the 5th best.

If that's the case, then I question that wisdom. How many games of combined NHL experience there? Let alone playoff experience?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
What would be the point of moving a $700K player when you're dead-against the cap? There is literally no one cheaper in their system.

You're not going to get any kind of asset you can use now in return. At best you're getting a 6th or 7th that might help you in 5 years.

My guess is that when Hyman returns 3 players need to be sent down, Petan and Marincin are likely 2/3 and both require waivers. It’s likely that they will be claimed so it’s better to try to get assets rather than nothing.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
If that's the case, then I question that wisdom. How many games of combined NHL experience there? Let alone playoff experience?

It too bad Boston didn't think about trading for Marincin's experience before the 2017 playoffs instead of going with no-experience McAvoy.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

To be fair, if any team lost 3 defensemen off of their roster, it would be the same for them...

And once again, Marincin doesn't really help if we lost 3 guys. We'd be about as well off with Harpur or Gravel than with him, and if we did end up losing 3 guys, we'd probably just turn to Sandin and Liljegren. Despite not having any real NHL experience between the two of them, they are top AHL defenders and are NHL ready (or at least close in Sandin's case).

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
It just seems like an odd decision. Like if you go down three defensemen in the playoffs, who are you going to play? if you want to clear a spot, why wouldn't you get rid of Gravel or Harpur?

Well they have Liljegren and Sandin on the Marlies plus Gravel and Harpur. Latter 2 are just as terrible as Marincin so shouldn't matter who is playing if it came to that.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
They shouldn't have resigned him in the first place. Dump him on waivers or make an ahl level deal so the leafs can move on.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
To be fair, if any team lost 3 defensemen off of their roster, it would be the same for them...

And once again, Marincin doesn't really help if we lost 3 guys. We'd be about as well off with Harpur or Gravel than with him, and if we did end up losing 3 guys, we'd probably just turn to Sandin and Liljegren. Despite not having any real NHL experience between the two of them, they are top AHL defenders and are NHL ready (or at least close in Sandin's case).

Losing 3 defensemen is pretty common. The Bruins were down 3 in the playoffs last year -- Miller, Moore and Gryz. They'd been down that many before too and that's why they keep so much depth now.

Buffalo was down 5 defensemen in game 7 against Ottawa in the conference finals. A guy like Marincin might have made the difference.

I just don't understand why you would give away depth.

Maybe I'm missing something but I'd rather take my chances on getting him through waivers.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
It just seems like an odd decision. Like if you go down three defensemen in the playoffs, who are you going to play? if you want to clear a spot, why wouldn't you get rid of Gravel or Harpur?
Liljegren and Sandin are top prospects. Sandin probably steps in for Holl game #1 in the playoffs if they don't upgrade that spot somehow before, he was only sent down to get big minutes for the Marlies. Liljegren is ready for minutes as well, 3rd year pro, he's probably next in after Sandin, Holl would be the #8 guy come the playoffs imo. Gravel was playing over Marincin the past few games before Dermott came back and there isn't much difference in quality. Harpur is 24 and a heavyweight enforcer, Schmaltz is 25 and a RHD. Both Harpur, Gravel and Schmaltz have plenty of NHL experience and aren't much different in quality than Marincin.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Throw them back on waivers?? Idk who cares. Would be nice to see Nic Petan go to more of a rebuilding team for an actual shot in the NHL.

Reactions: Morrison

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Seriously, no clue how he's still on the roster. :laugh:

Why Dubas chose to keep him around over others is beyond me.

Cause he has a lot of raw, undeveloped ability. He just never developed it. Coaches could see it. He could have been a pretty good second pairing D if he was developed better.

Sorry. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad