GDT: “That’s a Paddlin” @ 4pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Despite getting our ass kicked, it still doesn’t dictate things. We need to see Friday.

Alexyev making it hard to trade Edmundson. Lapierre and Sgarbossa making it easier to trade Dowd and Patches. Mantha for top dollar right now. Hold Chucky. If lose on Friday sell a lot. Players actually control some destiny here.

Reactions: Neil Racki

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
IMG_8483.gif

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Yep… put this in rear view mirror. Play Friday. Make some decisions.

I imagine GMBM is playing a serious game of poker/chicken with many GM’s right now. None of us can do it. Very few GM’s are capable. I trust GMBM to make the right moves. Just don’t get caught with your d**k in hand.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Yep… put this in rear view mirror. Play Friday. Make some decisions.

I imagine GMBM is playing a serious game of poker/chicken with many GM’s right now. None of us can do it. Very few GM’s are capable. I trust GMBM to make the right moves. Just don’t get caught with your d**k in hand.

I play chicken everytime i day trade, sign me up. Diamond hands!

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
There's nothing left to see Friday. This decision should have been made months ago. This is a bad team that has, in stretches, punched way above their weight class.

I'd guess the decision has actually been made while back. Of course you can always go back if your team goes to like 8-0-0 run or makes up ground big time before the deadline.

It's just my thoughts but i'd think GMBM has made his decision mid-february, at latest. There is always some wiggle room if team goes insanely hot but that isn't the case here. They have been really good lately but still with 4-1-1 record they really haven't made enough ground with this good stretch. It'd be really risky to think that this team has it in them to have a really good ~10-15 game stretch to make up the ground and then manage to avoid any losing streaks. This season has been great but it's been one hill after another. For every great stretch where they look like they could make it, has followed a stretch where it's loss after loss.

That said. Even if you made the decision early, still being technically in the fight gives you a great excuse to hold out for a better return. Buyers have been sitting on their hands since the Lindholm/Monahan deals and right now it's waiting game. No reason for GMBM to make his moves if he doesn't get the price he likes until the final week since the team is playing well too. Games that have tons of scouts in the stands like Sens -game does wonders for the teams and the values of the players.

I'd guess it's the buyers that are stingy right now. But there are also tons of teams still in the race, that aren't willing to commit to selling yet, or atleast are holding out for a premium price, like Capitals might be. But it could make it a chaotic deadline once the first big piece gets moved, because that adds to the pressure for every other contender.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Despite the ugly loss, Bolts lost 6-2 to the Flyers. Caps have 3 games in hand against the Bolts and 2 games in hand against the Flyers. You burn the tape and regroup. Maybe go back to basics till a chunk of the lineup comes back from injuries.

It's one game. They have been playing very well. Just forget this one and get ready for Philly.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Lots of guys with no legs last night. Helps explain - but can’t excuse - the outcome. They probably wanted to play tight, conservative and low event to start, and once they got down, it was a short step to cratering.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Again, the schedule. Even if they beat Philadelphia, after the deadline over a three week period they have 12 games. In that dozen there's only one b2b but they'll play Winnipeg twice, Toronto twice, Carolina, Vancouver, Detroit again and Boston. IF they do want to let it ride then realistically they need to find a way to add without giving up much (say by utilizing cap maneuverability to take on some term). They had done well in b2bs but with this aging group you've got to wonder when it all adds up (esp. for a guy like Carlson who's been brutally/lazily overplayed all year). Jensen better be back soon.

But, yeah, MacLellan had signaled to some extent an appetite to sell and give some Hershey players a shot. Sgarbossa has shown well. Lapierre has shown well. I'm not sure I'd burn Miro's first year down the stretch but eventually Frank should get a shot. Sutter. Maybe Snively. Perhaps HHA or Iorio. Stevenson. There are only so many non-emergency recalls, though.

It's definitely true the vets aren't capable of setting a higher pace/tone so it's hard to really believe in them in full-on competitive situations. While being collectively solid can go a fair way against sloppier teams when really tested they tend to implode. Big picture: how can they meaningfully raise their ceiling outside the draft? It's not impossible but guys like Duchene, even a Marchessault only go so far if there are still going to be roster drags gumming up the works. Competitively it strikes me that up the middle there may only be room for one of Strome and McMichael given their limitations, particularly with Protas and Lapierre both showing capability. But that does require upping the standard and making some tough calls. The blueline is also limited in their athletic/sense capacity.

It's just one game but they do need to continually assess how much they have invested in this season and where they are as a group. They're maybe not far off being a wild card but that can be said of most in a given year, esp. a down year in the conference. Adding a Leonard and perhaps resolving some of their core health/fitness questions can help turn the page some but their core athleticism/sense limitations are nothing new in crunchtime situations.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
The challenge with a push to the playoffs - likely regardless of who is added/subtracted, particularly given the ages of many on the roster - is that, if the push is successful, what's left for the playoffs? Older players whose bodies begin to fail after an 80-game season, and younger too who are not used to a long season, will find it difficult to face a team that's highly seeded. A potential argument in favor is that making the playoffs would expose some of those with less NHL experience (players and to some degree coaches too) to NHL-level playoff hockey, but after many of them have experienced AHL playoffs on through to a Calder Cup, what more can be gained? I think prudent selling is called for, regardless of whether they beat the Flyers.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad