McKenzie: “More likely than not” that Hoffman gets traded this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Hoffman will be traded to save Melnyk money this year and free money up for Stone to be signed next year.
I expect a Trade Deadline Day deal (hoping to get the highest return) and settling for a 2nd round pick, the Senators currently don't have their 2nd in 2018, and a prospect either in the League already or on the cusp.

Hoffman's contract (and almost every contract the Sens sign players to) is front loaded.
Once the team has had the "cheap" first year(s) the player is definitely at risk to be moved.
The problem is it's a downward spiral because the other team will either offer inferior player(s) due to the premium (higher salary than cap hit) they have to pay the player they are getting or will demand a pick in the deal to even things out (the Brassard/Zibanjad deal).
Draft picks are the life blood of a team that is unable/unwilling to pay to the cap and should be jealously guarded.
The way to recoup lost picks is by trading players like Hoffman for high picks and/or promising "cheap" prospects (maybe a goalie?) and ensuring that the Scouting Department is top notch.

I also predict that Karlsson will be traded in the Summer to maximize the teams who will be interested. subject to his No-trade clause (a very good move!).
The worst move they could make would be to resign Karlsson to a mega $11+/8 year deal.
With Phaneuf's and Ryan's albatross contracts going nowhere the last thing a budget team needs is another.

I think you meant to say back loaded rather then front loaded.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
In what world is Hoffman a “middle 6” player? I am not a Blues fan, but I agree with the rest of your post. They have a great prospect group they should just let develop and integrate into the team over time. There is no window closing anytime soon.

But name me one third liner that is good for 25-30 goals a year. There’s not a team in the league with 6 better forwards. On average teams, he’s probably the 3rd best, and on great teams he’s a 4 or 5. Great contract too and he’s got term.

Moving back to the Blues specifically, he’s probably not a great fit. He is average defensively and that wouldn’t work under Yeo just like it wouldn’t under Hitchcock, and arguably doesn’t work under Boucher.
Look man, don't bother with that guy. He has been leading a one man revolution against obtaining Hoffman for the last few weeks. It wouldn't be a problem if he actually knew anything about Hoffman, but he continually states falsehoods like how he's a middle six winger or not effective on the right side.

Hoffman is definitely a top-6 winger. He's a fantastic talent and most Blues fans know that. In fact, he's been one of my favorite players for the last few years. I think he would fit in fine on the Blues given his speed and shot. The Blues desperately need to add to their top-6, and while Thompson, Kyrou, and the like look like they can do it, prospects are never guaranteed. Saying that, the Blues are in a great spot, and paying a price is hard because fans are too scared from moving from that spot. We as fans just don't want to pay a price for a player, regardless of how good, and then see all the hard work go on be successful somewhere else. I can't say I agree with the sentiment completely, but it's understandable.

Personally, I'm fine with Kyrou as a start, but I don't think any conversation will go anywhere because of what else I'd be willing to give up and what Ottawa would want to get.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Hoffman is a top-6 winger, and probably a legitimate 1st line winger. Look at his point totals over the last 3 years - he's top-40.
He would be middle six on blues as a lw. He is only going to regress from this point on aND will cost to much. We have 4 young studs if two pan out of four that's worth keeping if 3 out of four pan out then we got something special if all four pan out then that's great drafting. Rather take a chance on cost controlled youth than adding another lw. And yes I do not think Hoffman can produce like he is now on rw. I would rather take my chances with the kids then 2.5 years of the Hoff on his offwing

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We get it you don't want Hoffman, but he'd be a big boost to our lineup. There aren't many players that we can acquire that we can count on 25+ goals, 60ish points, and positive possession numbers. I've always been a fan of his, and he'd immediately become one of our better forwards. Easily among our 6 best. He'd upgrade Steen, and shoot boost a pathetic PP.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
We get it you don't want Hoffman, but he'd be a big boost to our lineup. There aren't many players that we can acquire that we can count on 25+ goals, 60ish points, and positive possession numbers. I've always been a fan of his, and he'd immediately become one of our better forwards. Easily among our 6 best. He'd upgrade Steen, and shoot boost a pathetic PP.

didnt they say schenn would boost the power play. I hate it when people think 1 player can make or break th PP. the problem is you want to trade a kid with a bright future who is a C/RW for 2.5 years of a player who is a lh lw and is 28. We would have to send steen or another lw (not berglund) to OTT. On top of that you have edds and several others who need raises/resigning. So OTT would have to take equal money back and preferably one of our 7 lh lw that is not a center. honestly we should wait.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
didnt they say schenn would boost the power play. I hate it when people think 1 player can make or break th PP. the problem is you want to trade a kid with a bright future who is a C/RW for 2.5 years of a player who is a lh lw and is 28. We would have to send steen or another lw (not berglund) to OTT. On top of that you have edds and several others who need raises/resigning. So OTT would have to take equal money back and preferably one of our 7 lh lw that is not a center. honestly we should wait.

I didn't say anything about what I would and wouldn't trade for him. Just to act like he wouldn't be a good addition is silly. To try and justify that we don't have a need for a player like him is silly.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I didn't say anything about what I would and wouldn't trade for him. Just to act like he wouldn't be a good addition is silly. To try and justify that we don't have a need for a player like him is silly.
Of course he would be an addition. If he was RH RW i would jump all over him. Since he is not, he is not a great fit at the cost of thomas kyrou thompson or kostin. These kids have some serious skills I have been following them. If we can get Hoffman with out losing one of those four and this also include not trading dunn or fabbri. Then I am all for it. Just as long as we dont eff our selves with the Cap. I just dont see a fit with all the factors.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
3 way trade:

To Ottawa- Puljujarvi
To Chicago- Hoffman
To Edmonton- Seabrook

Chiarelli's mission is accomplished

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Of course he would be an addition. If he was RH RW i would jump all over him. Since he is not, he is not a great fit at the cost of thomas kyrou thompson or kostin. These kids have some serious skills I have been following them. If we can get Hoffman with out losing one of those four and this also include not trading dunn or fabbri. Then I am all for it. Just as long as we dont eff our selves with the Cap. I just dont see a fit with all the factors.

I just see the possiblity of Hoffman becoming the next troy brouwer. I get it hoffmans stats are slightly better. I hated losing Oshie for him. I dont want a repeat especially
3 way trade:

To Ottawa- Puljujarvi
To Chicago- Hoffman
To Edmonton- Seabrook

Chiarelli's mission is accomplished
Seabrook is just aweful now why would you do this. ???

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
terrible idea trading him. Good player with a good contract

Sens are so weird. Keep getting rid of people that put up points.

Also may as well get rid of EK now cause he sure as hell wont be re signing with this team

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I just see the possiblity of Hoffman becoming the next troy brouwer. I get it hoffmans stats are slightly better. I hated losing Oshie for him. I dont want a repeat especially

Seabrook is just aweful now why would you do this. ???

That's the point. There is no way that Oilers fans would do this but Chiarelli would

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
broken-record-gif-1.gif

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I would love for Arizona to get Hoffman. I think he's the exact kind of player they need. I was hoping they could add something to Duclair as a package for Hoffman, but alas.

If Ottawa doesn't want picks, as has been suggested, then what about prospects? Would Crouse or Dylan Strome be appealing?

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Guarantee he ain't going nowhere. Dorion just trying to get a market for him. The asking price is going to be high. Plus he has found chemistry with Duchene. Unless it's a few high end pieces. Don't expect a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad