Friedman: “I wouldn’t be surprised if [Evander]Kane was a guy on [Pens] radar.”

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Maatta+1st+Sprong+Guentzel for Kane+7th?
I think this is close but pens would probably have to add a couple more firsts or crosby/Malkin and I don’t think buffalo would part with the 7th, but jr should at least try to get it given it’s a deep draft coming up.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It's already been widely reported Botterill has already stated he would get creative, retain on salary of Kane to maximize the return "if the right type of offer".
That type of offer doesn't scream Cole or any other offers by Pens fans save their 1st and Sprong.

Some Penguins fans may be intrigued by a Kane pick up, but Botterill isn't going to move him for second hand table scraps, that's a pipe dream imo.

Other teams will offer better suited packages, the Penguins will have to give to get if they want to remain in the conversation imo.

Or Pens and other teams say no to a stupid price, and Botterill gets zip for him and sees him walk in July.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Or Pens and other teams say no to a stupid price, and Botterill gets zip for him and sees him walk in July.
Not from what I understand.
Botterill is already having conversations, and has since the off season. His ask is more than the Hanzal situations, and every analyst, including Bob agrees. This much has been reported.

Kane, if moved, is going to be for an offer that Botterill is looking for, and he'll either most likely get it or re-sign him.

Other teams covet Kane, Botterill isn't going around with hat in hand asking. Its already been reported that teams are inquiring and mulling over the ask. Not the other way around.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Not from what I understand.
Botterill is already having conversations, and has since the off season. His ask is more than the Hanzal situations, and every analyst, including Bob agrees. This much has been reported.

Kane, if moved, is going to be for an offer that Botterill is looking for, and he'll either most likely get it or re-sign him.

Other teams covet Kane, Botterill isn't going around with hat in hand asking. Its already been reported that teams are inquiring and mulling over the ask. Not the other way around.

Does Botterill really want to resign him? Does Kane want to resign in Buffalo? What kind of term are both sides looking for?

If the answer is no to either of the first two questions, Buffalo's best option is to sell to the highest bidder and not try so much to dictate price. That said teams WILL offer much more than merely a late 1st. Recent history has shown this. If that's what Pens fans are thinking it will take to land Kane, they're sorely mistaken.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Does Botterill really want to resign him? Does Kane want to resign in Buffalo? What kind of term are both sides looking for?

If the answer is no to either of the first two questions, Buffalo's best option is to sell to the highest bidder and not try so much to dictate price. That said teams WILL offer much more than merely a late 1st. Recent history has shown this. If that's what Pens fans are thinking it will take to land Kane, they're sorely mistaken.

The Sabres broadcast team and the wgr550 show "The Instigators" have both reported Kane likes it in Buffalo. He's currently dating a local girl. Not that any of that says he'll stay, but I'd imagine for the right price.

His re-signing here is equal conversation as his trade, at least locally. Only, we have more info on the trade side.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They may win a third Stanley Cup in three years with an addition like Kane, but where would this leave them in the cap space and prospect cups? Cmon man. Think!

Is this seriously a defense for why it wouldn't be dumb as hell to trade Sprong for Kane? Seriously?

Are people forgetting who Sprong is? We're not talking about a prospect that's 4 years away from being NHL ready. If he's not traded, he's going to be in the NHL this year. Trading him for a rental is absolutely asinine. Not only because trading a NHL ready prospect with top-6 potential for a rental is absolutely insane, but also because adding Kane doesn't guarantee the Penguins a cup and the Penguins aren't desperate enough for a cup to do that kind of move.

This isn't about "prospect cups" or "cap space", it's about trading a high potential, NHL ready player with control for a rental being ****ing stupid.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Is this seriously a defense for why it wouldn't be dumb as hell to trade Sprong for Kane? Seriously?

Are people forgetting who Sprong is? We're not talking about a prospect that's 4 years away from being NHL ready. If he's not traded, he's going to be in the NHL this year. Trading him for a rental is absolutely asinine. Not only because trading a NHL ready prospect with top-6 potential for a rental is absolutely insane, but also because adding Kane doesn't guarantee the Penguins a cup and the Penguins aren't desperate enough for a cup to do that kind of move.

This isn't about "prospect cups" or "cap space", it's about trading a high potential, NHL ready player with control for a rental being ****ing stupid.

I don't think they deal Sprong yet. But, there might come a day. People like you grossly overrate the kid. He has been bypassed as far as others getting the call ups from WBS due to his defensive play. It's sucks beyond belief. If he were competent, then he would probably be up. He isn't there.

I think they deal Sprong for a longer term solution, not a rental like Kane. I just wish people would stop ignoring the reason(s) he isn't up yet and recognize he has deficiencies. Stop overrating him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think they deal Sprong yet. But, there might come a day. People like you grossly overrate the kid. He has been bypassed as far as others getting the call ups from WBS due to his defensive play. It's sucks beyond belief. If he were competent, then he would probably be up. He isn't there.

I think they deal Sprong for a longer term solution, not a rental like Kane. I just wish people would stop ignoring the reason(s) he isn't up yet and recognize he has deficiencies. Stop overrating him.

That is the point I'm making. I never said Sprong is untouchable, I'm saying they'd never trade him for a rental like Kane. Read what I'm writing instead of just spewing out crap like "stop overrating him".

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The Sabres broadcast team and the wgr550 show "The Instigators" have both reported Kane likes it in Buffalo. He's currently dating a local girl. Not that any of that says he'll stay, but I'd imagine for the right price.

His re-signing here is equal conversation as his trade, at least locally. Only, we have more info on the trade side.
Interesting because in another Kane thread, I asked some of your fellow Sabres fans why you just wouldn't resign him, and several said that there is no chance he resigns, that the team hasn't even considered extending him.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Interesting because in another Kane thread, I asked some of your fellow Sabres fans why you just wouldn't resign him, and several said that there is no chance he resigns, that the team hasn't even considered extending him.

Yeah I don’t think they’ll keep him. Eichel’s cap hit goes up to 10 mil next year. They’ll be tight at this stage. He’ll be traded for futures, cheap young players.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I didn't see anyone say: "there's no chance Kane re-signs". There's been no conversations between Botterill and Kane's agent up to this point. That's rather telling on what Buffalo's intentions are at this point.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
You know this is just an opinion. Rutherford could actually have zero interest in Kane

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Yeah I don’t think they’ll keep him. Eichel’s cap hit goes up to 10 mil next year. They’ll be tight at this stage. He’ll be traded for futures, cheap young players.
We can dump enough salary and the salary cap is going enough to re-sign him with ease. But Im not optimistic he would want to re-sign with how we have sucked in his time here.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
The way Sid likes to play with "His guys".... I'm not sure that Kane would be a good fit there. If he doesnt work out on the 2nd line... youre kind of screwed

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The way Sid likes to play with "His guys".... I'm not sure that Kane would be a good fit there. If he doesnt work out on the 2nd line... youre kind of screwed

We need to be a 3 scoring line team though. So he’d sure help there.

We can dump enough salary and the salary cap is going enough to re-sign him with ease. But Im not optimistic he would want to re-sign with how we have sucked in his time here.

Yeah I guess if both parties thought it would work I’d imagine he’d be signed.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
And fair trade proposals apparently.

984049c13a2cc8f4513752a5e85772f9.gif

HabsEstrie

Sep 30, 2017
You are saying that it's worth discussing on a made-up rumour? Would you discuss the same thing if I made it up?

f***in A i would its a hockey discussion board... Not real life... step back from the keyboard for a bit, you are taking this and yourself way too serious lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad