Post-Game Talk: Zibanejad worst Ranger since.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I mean he also won 6 championships. Buys you a bit of leeway. Meeka stopped trying after scoring 24 in 20 during the ECF run and Trouba has never at any point lived up to his contract.
Well, that was just one example. You know which hockey players have hobbies and passions away from the rink? All of them.

And they all drink, party, and probably other things besides drink.

Except Nathan MacKinnon. I think he legitimately goes to practice, sleeps, goes to the game, and sleeps.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Mika needs to watch a game from the press box.
The first thing that gets a player’s attention is ice time. Lavi needs to bench some of his “star” players to send a message. Other coaches do it, why the f*** can’t it be done here? Because the players would need safe spaces? You start benching players and the team will notice.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
A lot of comments about Zibanejad recently have been overtly sexual.

And even if it is just "don't have interests but hockey," that's bullshit anyway.

Michael Jordan is widely considered the most competitive athlete of all time and the guy did nothing but golf when the Bulls weren't playing.

Yes but Michael Jordan won 6 championships. If Mika delivered just 1, no one would talk shit about him anymore.

Certainly the answer isn't always "try harder," but sometimes where there is smoke there is fire.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I will say this to everybody on here too and you guys can laugh like we do every few years but if this fails and the coach and GM are out next year, they better bring in Mess. If they bring in some clown, Sather is back at the helm, or they promote a guy like Ryan Martin, you all better start rooting for another team or picking up a new hobby. 80+ years and the only reason they have a Cup is because Messier had the stones and drive to win, win, win. He did it twice without 99. I have no doubt he'd make a solid executive here. He knows winners from losers. Don't think he doesn't sit there each day laughing and ripping players on this team for being gutless.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes but Michael Jordan won 6 championships. If Mika delivered just 1, no one would talk shit about him anymore.
There it is.

We're all just mad we didn't win the Cup with this group and it's because they're not good enough.

Nobody wants to admit it because there's nothing you can do about the core group of players not being good enough, and this isn't a sport where you can transform the core quickly.

All of the extracurricular bullshit is just people trying to convince themselves something can be done about it or something could have been done about it.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
its wild how quick this place turned on "Lavi". he was everyones god over the offseason and the first month. i told everyone he was a clown right away. i wanted Knoblauch. looks like I was right.
The issues with this team are not due to the coach. It's always been the players.

Quinn and Gallant were ass in their own special ways, but they've both earned a bit of an apology and vindication from some of us here.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I will say this to everybody on here too and you guys can laugh like we do every few years but if this fails and the coach and GM are out next year, they better bring in Mess. If they bring in some clown, Sather is back at the helm, or they promote a guy like Ryan Martin, you all better start rooting for another team or picking up a new hobby. 80+ years and the only reason they have a Cup is because Messier had the stones and drive to win, win, win. He did it twice without 99. I have no doubt he'd make a solid executive here. He knows winners from losers. Don't think he doesn't sit there each day laughing and ripping players on this team for being gutless.
If Messier wanted to do it that bad, he would get more experience.

He wants to be recognized for doing it without putting the work in. That's allegedly the exact attitude people want to get rid of.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think that Sutter once said after Stanley Cup victory that Jon Quick sleeps 12-13 hours a day and I always found that relatable.

If I ever played goalie and didn't do that I think I'd be victim to the Tim Thomas effect where I'd be useless playing more than 50 games a season.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The issues with this team are not due to the coach. It's always been the players.

Quinn and Gallant were ass in their own special ways, but they've both earned a bit of an apology and vindication from some of us here.

For all his faults (inability to even spell the word defense) Quinn was on to it early. If they didnt hire JD and covid didnt happen, maybe the rebuild goes differently.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
A lot of comments about Zibanejad recently have been overtly sexual.

And even if it is just "don't have interests but hockey," that's bullshit anyway.

Michael Jordan is widely considered the most competitive athlete of all time and the guy did nothing but golf when the Bulls weren't playing.

People trying to tie athletic performance at the highest level to some sort of reductionist theory about virility and energy.

Modern day snake oil/phrenologists at work.

No wonder Rhinos are being hunted to extinction for their magic sex powder

• Haha
Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think that Sutter once said after Stanley Cup victory that Jon Quick sleeps 12-13 hours a day and I always found that relatable.

If I ever played goalie and didn't do that I think I'd be victim to the Tim Thomas effect where I'd be useless playing more than 50 games a season.
Weren't a couple of the guys on that team smuggling drugs to Mexico in between periods?

Meanwhile, over in Chicago, guys were fighting over Duncan Keith's wife.

Talent always wins.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
If Messier wanted to do it that bad, he would get more experience.

He wants to be recognized for doing it without putting the work in. That's allegedly the exact attitude people want to get rid of.
With all due respect, I'd love for you, Glen Sather, James Dolan or anybody else to tell Mark Messier to "get more experience." We've heard this for years. The real reason he isn't here is because he would want autonomy and we all know Sather is still Dolan's right-hand man. Anybody telling themselves they'd rather another merc exec come here and swing and miss without giving Mess a shot is a fool. Again, you can have your opinion, but I think those against Mess are of the younger generation who have no idea what he meant to a franchise, a team, to a group of men. His teams had heart, and guts, and you never questioned their commitment. You know what you'd be getting with his rosters. This organization should have a statue of him outside MSG holding the Cup. Instead, the thanks he gets is to be run out of a place he was begging to shape back into a winner.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
With all due respect, I'd love for you, Glen Sather, James Dolan or anybody else to tell Mark Messier to "get more experience." We've heard this for years. The real reason he isn't here is because he would want autonomy and we all know Sather is still Dolan's right-hand man. Anybody telling themselves they'd rather another merc exec come here and swing and miss without giving Mess a shot is a fool. Again, you can have your opinion, but I think those against Mess are of the younger generation who have no idea what he meant to a franchise, a team, to a group of men. His teams had heart, and guts, and you never questioned their commitment. You know what you'd be getting with his rosters. This organization should have a statue of him outside MSG holding the Cup. Instead, the thanks he gets is to be run out of a place he was begging to shape back into a winner.
You have no idea how much I would love to tell him to go get some experience.

Being a captain is not being an executive. If he wants to be an executive, he has to go be an executive.

Patrick Roy is a fiery competitor and multi-time champion. He had to pay his dues at a lower level and then pay his dues again before coming back.

I don't care what he did as captain, Messier wanting to be named president for existing is lazy.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Messier or Lundqvist are the only guys I want running this organization if they move on from Drury. Hank never won but we miss having a person with his competitiveness. Leadership trickles down. I know its not quantifiable on paper so people laugh at it but when you have incompetent people at the top, it effects every aspect of an organization.

Reactions: Anthony5967

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Messier or Lundqvist are the only guys I want running this organization if they move on from Drury. Hank never won but we miss having a person with his competitiveness. Leadership trickles down. I know its not quantifiable on paper so people laugh at it but when you have incompetent people at the top, it effects every aspect of an organization.
I'd be more inclined to agree if I thought that NYR's struggles had to do with effort.

All teams see fluctuations in their gumption from time to time.

What I see is a team with two fourth lines and only 3 top 4 defensemen. Combine that with league average goaltending and we aren't a contender.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
You have no idea how much I would love to tell him to go get some experience.

Being a captain is not being an executive. If he wants to be an executive, he has to go be an executive.

Patrick Roy is a fiery competitor and multi-time champion. He had to pay his dues at a lower level and then pay his dues again before coming back.

I don't care what he did as captain, Messier wanting to be named president for existing is lazy.

What about saying Lafreniere and Kakko have to "earn" bigger roles? People who have said that on here have been getting ripped for years (not necessarily by you)

zlev

Dec 21, 2015

Quinn deserves no apology, he was awful. Gallant, yes. his player usage was much better.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I'd be more inclined to agree if I thought that NYR's struggles had to do with effort.

All teams see fluctuations in their gumption from time to time.

What I see is a team with two fourth lines and only 3 top 4 defensemen. Combine that with league average goaltending and we aren't a contender.

3rd period last night certainly looked like an effort problem to me. I agree that the roster is shambles but they gave the game away to the worst team in the league because they were already thinking about the flight home.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What about saying Lafreniere and Kakko have to "earn" bigger roles? People who have said that on here have been getting ripped for years (not necessarily by you)
The dude is from the 80's. It would be a lot of old head stuff.

I get the appeal of him whipping guys into shape and being a transformative force like Torts was for this franchise at the right time, but people are gonna turn on it when that turns into playing bad players that he decided he likes. Hell, he made us go and get a bunch of grinders he liked in 1994.

And the bigger issue is that he's never run a hockey club full-time. Maybe he should do that first.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The dude is from the 80's. It would be a lot of old head stuff.

I get the appeal of him whipping guys into shape and being a transformative force like Torts was for this franchise at the right time, but people are gonna turn on it when that turns into playing bad players that he decided he likes. Hell, he made us go and get a bunch of grinders he liked in 1994.

And the bigger issue is that he's never run a hockey club full-time. Maybe he should do that first.

This is currently happening with guys who worked their way up the totem pole

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Feels like we are getting the entire Peter Laviolettte experience in one season. Quick turnaround, fast start and it wears out over time.

I’m not sure how to fix this. There are going to be moves and I expect some will involve young players. Just hope Drury gets it right.
Good to see you around here!

Do you see Lindgren as a fit for Arizona's team?

Reactions: Filip Chytil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad