Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
our untouchables before the Ryan trade were

Zibby
Karlsson
Lehner
Cowen
and Silfverberg was heavily debated to be one at the time.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
At the time i felt Silf was the player to keep. His lack luster production compared to zibby's makes my choice look bad. I still think silf has similar upside to Zibby but Silf playing a stacked position on the sens leaves no room for him.

The trade would have been a complete steal if it was Cowen. Even Silf+Cowen+Noeson would have been a great trade.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think you always take the big centre who are difficult to find over the talented winger that are much more abundant. Silfverberg could end up being a better goal scorer but Zibanejad does more all around things that help the team to win besides scoring.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
At the time i felt Silf was the player to keep. His lack luster production compared to zibby's makes my choice look bad. I still think silf has similar upside to Zibby but Silf playing a stacked position on the sens leaves no room for him.

The trade would have been a complete steal if it was Cowen. Even Silf+Cowen+Noeson would have been a great trade.

Yeah we need to find someone to take Gryba off our hands. I'm willing to wait atleast 1 more season on Cowen but Gryba's useless. I'd almost rather Phillips back than him

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I still think Silf is a good 2nd line winger, whereas Zibby has the *potential*( hate that friggin word) to be a star #1C, but I want MORE from Zib on a consistent basis....

I completely agree. But I think the real promise is that Zibby started slowly and then found his groove at the 20 game mark. He, like Ryan, fell off at the end but I like to believe that their drops in production were also in part to Cameron's asinine decision to break him, Hoff and Ryan up and insert a rotating crew of wingers. He should have let the three of them work thru it.

He kept plugging Michalek in there and the minute he was out and Hoff was in, that line started scoring again.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Two different styles. Zib plays with more power now and that is only going to keep getting better. Silf uses his quickness more.

Zib for me.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I don't think Zbad will ever score more than 60 points if scoring remains as spread out in the NHL the way it is now.. Maybe if we ever go back to the way it was in 2006 then I could see him as a PPG player. For now tho I think his peak should be around 60 points (25g 35A)..

You gotta give the kid time. He's not Crosby who can jump into the league and immediately be a #1C. He just turned 22, and has been trending upwards tremendously in the last 2 years. When we drafted him he was the most raw player in the top 10, but the talent was there. Now he's figuring out how to put it all together, including balancing bulk with speed. He turned into a man this year. He came into camp last year too heavy, I think he's now figured out where he needs to be physically.

fwiw, if it's close, C > Forward. Zib has the potential to be a #1C.

A better question might be Silfverberg vs Ryan. Especially when you see how Ryan struggles at times with his skating (and then project how he'll look 4 or 5 years into his big contract).

Don't even start this..

Ya it was a choice between Cowen/Silf/Zib

omg just imagine we gave away Cowen, Noesen, and a first for Ryan, and kept silfverberg. :lol:

Silfverberg - Zibanejad - Ryan
Hoffman - Turris - Ston
MacArthur - Pageau - Michalek
Lazar - Legwand - Chiasson
Smith

:cry:

Ya that would be epic. But Murray loves him some #2. Oh well.

Tnouc Alucard

Sep 10, 2014
If I recall correctly, they wanted one of Zibby/Silf/Cowen as a main piece.

Imagine we got rid of Cowen the pylon AND got Ryan :amazed:

You may now have to eat some crow, as it's been revealed that Cowen was playing injured, when he did play, and probably sat a lot because of it.

He's had the necessary surgery and could come back to camp close to 100%.

I always find it so bewildering that people discount the number of injuries (and recovery) that Cowen has had, and fail to realize that he's only played 212 games at the NHL level.

Young D'men need time to develop into NHL D'men, and Cowen has yet to show his try level of play............and some people want to kick to the curb, like the Islanders did with Chara, after he had only played 231 games for them.

Tnouc Alucard

Sep 10, 2014

A great trade for the Ducks,

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Oh goody, more of "HFSens Obsession With Not Shutting Up About Jakob Silfverberg"!

I'll be in my room listening to music if anyone needs me.

9T1kgIr.gif

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
People will complain whenever we make a trade where the player we traded away does well.

If we traded Zibanejad then we would hear endless whining about how we gave away a potential #1C over a 2nd line winger.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Silfverberg leaving opened room for Stone and there's basically no question who I would want on the top line between those 2. As for Zibanejad v. Silfverberg, the only thing that makes it close is Silfverberg's outstanding playoffs on an elite team. Otherwise, Zibanejad is younger, has played more games in the NHL, has scored more points, has a better ppg ratio, is bigger, stronger, faster, has a better shot, plays a premium position and showed us glimpses this past regular season of being able to do things that Silfverberg goes to bed at night dreaming about.

Put this ridiculous debate to an end. Silfverberg is only ever going to be a very nice complementary piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad