Confirmed with Link: Zibanejad+2018 2nd for Brassard+2018 7th | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
This team can keep on waiting for assets to improve or they can try to make moves to improve now. This team has been waiting and waiting for assets to improve for the last 3 ****ing years. It took last season for Murray to realize that the defense needed help. I would have given Zibanejad one more year, but i completely understand why they got rid of him.

Karlsson is ufa in 3 years.

Sens need to show him that they are going to be competitive. So this trade makes very much sense.

Trading Zibby was a risk i give you that, but every gm takes risks when it comes to trades. It is the nature of the business. Would you rather have Holland as a gm who doesn't do jack ****ing **** to improve his team year after year after year? I am sure Wings fans would love to trade some of their young guys for an actual top 4 dman.

Last edited:

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
I just don't understand why so many people seem to think Brassard's game will fall off a cliff, or that he can't be a valuable piece at age 31. Obviously he won't be in his mid-20's prime but I don't think it's a reach to believe he can still be a contributing piece to the team and can be extended at a reasonable price.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I just don't understand why so many people seem to think Brassard's game will fall off a cliff, or that he can't be a valuable piece at age 31. Obviously he won't be in his mid-20's prime but I don't think it's a reach to believe he can still be a contributing piece to the team and can be extended at a reasonable price.

Lots of posters are obsessed with paying cheap for prime years, then getting rid of them in that window where they are still very good (ie selling high). Taking asset management to the extreme. It's like they think anyone over 30 is completely useless. I don't see anything wrong with holding onto good players.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
i think we should have traded Hoffman instead of Zibanejad.

No way. Hoffman is much better at his role (1st line sniper) than Zibanejad is at his role (2nd like center).

Someday that could change, but the Sens want to win it all sometime in the next few years, and this trade helps that case.

I'm all for that approach.

Karlsson
Turris
Phaneuf
Ryan
Hoffman
Brassard
Stone
Methot
MacArthur

Are all in, or approaching the primes of their careers. If we can't win it all in the next say 3-4 years when that group is in their prime, then it's time to blow it all up imo. Otherwise we will be stuck in limbo if we don't make a push now.

Zibanejad would have been good enough as a #2 behind an elite #1, but we dont have that luxury, and needed an upgrade to him in order to compete now.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
No way. Hoffman is much better at his role (1st line sniper) than Zibanejad is at his role (2nd like center).

Someday that could change, but the Sens want to win it all sometime in the next few years, and this trade helps that case.

Karlsson
Turris
Phaneuf
Ryan
Hoffman
Brassard
Stone
Methot
MacArthur

Are all in, or approaching the primes of their careers. If we can't win it all in the next say 3-4 years when that group is in their prime, then it's time to blow it all up imo. Otherwise we will be stuck in limbo if we don't make a push now.

Zibanejad would have been good enough as a #2 behind an elite #1, but we dont have that luxury, and needed an upgrade to him in order to compete now.
This post nails it ,iam not worried about what happens in 3 years .If we cant find the right mix for silver then we need to try again.It took decades for the kings and hawks to find the right blend ,the right cicumstances etc.Just because on paper you have a strong roster doesnt mean, they just automatically put your name on the cup .People around here worry to much ,about primes and young players and prospects.We will win it all when we win it all :nod:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
iam not worried about what happens in 3 years .If we cant find the right mix for silver then we need to try again.It took decades for the kings and hawks to find the right blend ,the right cicumstances

Agreed. This group of guys is never going to be in a better position to succeed than now.

We can't wait another 3 or so years for White, Brown, Chabot, Dahlen, ect to save the day for us. Turris, Hoffman, Brassard, Phaneuf, Ryan, Methot, and MacArthur are all still capable of playing some very good hockey, so now is the time to make a push.

As my grandfather always told me, it's better to have tried and failed then to have never tried at all.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
In 3 years time the Rangers will have a 26 year old Zibanejad just entering his prime + whoever they selected in the 2nd round in 2018, and we'll have nothing. That kind of asset management is what keeps this franchise from becoming a winner.

And Brassard walking in 3 years isn't even the worst-case scenario. Would anyone really be surprised if Dorion passes on re-signing Turris to keep Brassard, an Ottawa-native, playing for the Sens. Can't see a budget team re-signing both players to big money long-term contracts with Brown and White coming through the pipeline. We can only hope that when the time comes Dorion chooses to re-sign the better center just entering his 30s over the lesser center in his mid-30s.

I don't think Ny will resign Zibanejad.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014

Karlsson
Turris
Phaneuf
Ryan
Hoffman
Brassard
Stone
Methot
MacArthur

Dion and Ryan aren't in their Prime's.

Goal scorers tend to peak at an early age and big slow dmen who play a physical brand of hockey deteriorate and plateau.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Dion and Ryan aren't in their Prime's.

Goal scorers tend to peak at an early age and big slow dmen who play a physical brand of hockey deteriorate and plateau.

Point being was that they are both still capable of some very good hockey, and both take up a large portion of the cap and are under contract for 5+ years, so now is the time to make a push.

The situation isn't going to be any better in 3 or 4 years when they are both well into their 30's. It's going to be worse.

If we haven't won by then, we can say that we tried, and start the rebuild with no regrets. Make permanent room for Brown and White, get a lottery pick or two, and then try it all again.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Point being was that they are both still capable of some very good hockey, and both take up a large portion of the cap and are under contract for 5+ years, so now is the time to make a push.

The situation isn't going to be any better in 3 or 4 years when they are both well into their 30's. It's going to be worse.

If we haven't won by then, we can say that we tried, and start the rebuild with no regrets. Make permanent room for Brown and White, get a lottery pick or two, and then try it all again.

We need to keep in mind, if we make a big push right now for the 'last piece,' chances are we won't have White/Chabot/Brown to start a rebuild in 3-4 seasons. We're not going to be able to keep all of our best prospects and picks and get that elusive 'missing piece.'

We have to make a tough choice....do we really think this is the time to make a run and sacrifice a big piece of our future, or do we play it safe and just keep rolling with what we have?

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Wut?

There will definitely be regrets when Karlsson walks in Free Agency. Brassard and Phaneuf aren't going to make us contenders. We need to make more moves.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Wut?

There will definitely be regrets when Karlsson walks in Free Agency. Brassard and Phaneuf aren't going to make us contenders. We need to make more moves.

Brassard expires when Karlsson does. Phaneuf isn't suppose to make us a contender. He turned around Ceci and hopefully that continues into next year.

Considering all the young players/prospects we have on defence - getting Phaneuf makes sense.

Also - every team has a 'bad' contract which in theory Phaneuf could be in a few more years.
Did MAF stop Pittsburgh from winning this year?
How about Bryan Bickell for Chicago?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'm not saying that we are contenders yet. I don't belive that we are.

What I do believe is that with the players that we have signed long term, making an eventual push 3 or 4 years from now will be too late. Now is the time.

We can't afford to waste another 3 years of Karlsson's prime hoping things will just work out on their own, and that all of the help that we need to take the next step will come from within.

Do they really want to win, or not? Moves like this tell me that they are serious about becoming a contender, and I'm much happier with that then the indecisiveness we've seen these last 5 or so years.

Last edited:

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I was just in NYC and visited the NHL store. After the Pens Stanley Cup display at the front, one of the first jerseys you see towards is a Rangers Zibanejad blueshirt (looked pretty sharp I must say).

Interesting note, no Karlsson (or Sens) jersey on display and only 2 Sens t-shirts (1 Karlsson and 1 blank). However, they had a bunch of random average players on display though...

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I was just in NYC and visited the NHL store. After the Pens Stanley Cup display at the front, one of the first jerseys you see towards is a Rangers Zibanejad blueshirt (looked pretty sharp I must say).

Interesting note, no Karlsson (or Sens) jersey on display and only 2 Sens t-shirts (1 Karlsson and 1 blank). However, they had a bunch of random average players on display though...

The Senators have probably the smallest fanbase in Canada with Winnipeg (but Winnipeg doesn't have to contend with Toronto and Montreal)

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016

The NHL not knowing how to market their stars, nothing new there unfortunately.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Wut?

If he walks he walks ,not much we can do about it.We have drafted and developed all kinds of players .Some have succeeded ,others have not .If we cant win a cup with EK then it just wasnt meant to be ,there is no time limit to when we win silver dude. Other teams have had stars that they couldnt build a cup winner around,its not that uncommon

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
If he walks he walks ,not much we can do about it.We have drafted and developed all kinds of players .Some have succeeded ,others have not .If we cant win a cup with EK then it just wasnt meant to be ,there is no time limit to when we win silver dude. Other teams have had stars that they couldnt build a cup winner around,its not that uncommon

I would not be upset if we don't win a cup with EK... I would be upset though if the team could not build a contender around him at the very least.

That would be a pretty big fail... Not being able to build a 100+ point team around the best player in hockey

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I would not be upset if we don't win a cup with EK... I would be upset though if the team could not build a contender around him at the very least.

That would be a pretty big fail... Not being able to build a 100+ point team around the best player in hockey
He would join a very long list.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
He would join a very long list.

Last decade... What top 10 player has not had a contender built around them?

Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Kane, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Thornton, Lidstrom, etc

Give me some names since 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad