Confirmed with Link: Zetterberg has back surgery to remove a part of disc, out around 8 weeks

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
They didn't waste any time. Must have been a pretty open and shut case of surgery being the only solution.

Hope we get some real information soon, his season is probably done but I'd like to hear some positive news on his future beyond that.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
They didn't waste any time. Must have been a pretty open and shut case of surgery being the only solution.

Hope we get some real information soon, his season is probably done but I'd like to hear some positive news on his future beyond that.

Dunno when the playoffs starts but he could be back in mid to late april... but I guess they don't want to potentially end his career, which is a possibility when rushing him back.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Best case scenario is that it is this he needed all along and that most of his lingering problems will ease up after this.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Best case scenario is that it is this he needed all along and that most of his lingering problems will ease up after this.

Has someone ever recovered fully from back surgery and never showed signs of it, before? Especially at his age, this will affect him in some capacity from here on I'm sure.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Has someone ever recovered fully from back surgery and never showed signs of it, before? Especially at his age, this will affect him in some capacity from here on I'm sure.

It can only help going forward.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 5m
Red Wings' Henrik Zetterberg had surgery today to remove part of disc in his back. Team said it went well. Might be out 8 weeks but not sure

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Not sure how similar the instances are, since I am no DR.

But Spezza had a disc surgery for his back in January of 2013 that ended his year. Came back and has 45 pts in 54 games this year.

Also had a similar surgery in 06 and came back and was fine.

He is younger, but he was able to bounce back twice from back issues.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Not sure how similar the instances are, since I am no DR.

But Spezza had a disc surgery for his back in January of 2013 that ended his year. Came back and has 45 pts in 54 games this year.

Also had a similar surgery in 06 and came back and was fine.

He is younger, but he was able to bounce back twice from back issues.

me thinks you haven't watched much of spezza this year :).

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006

Just a week and a half. :shakehead or a week.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Good thing that he's finally getting surgery on his back, I guess. Seems to have needed it for a while now.

Is the surgery more to fix the injury he got in Sochi or will it possibly correct the back issues he's been having for years? Hopefully the latter.

MountainGoat

wow it must have been pretty bad, I hope he recovers 100% because anything with the back is not easy

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

I haven't had back surgery, but I did read about it when someone was explaining the potential ways to fix his back.

For years he's been taking the other option, rest, anti-inflammatories and pain killers. The problem is that doesn't fix the problem, just causes the symptoms to either go a way temporarily or reduce to a manageable level.

Surgery is the riskier option and for an Athlete its obviously the one that keeps him out of the line-up the longest, but it's also far more effective in reducing pain and prolonging athletic careers.

This is good news as far as I'm concerned.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Was this the crosschecking by Brian Allen for about 10 years ago, Wings vs canucks?

I thought Allen was the one who broke his leg with the slash...? Or was that Belak?

On another note, it's amazing how Holland will basically have escaped any and all significant cap issues based on injuries alone this year, since it looks like Z will be out til the playoffs. For such an anti-trading GM, he's probably breathing a sigh of relief now.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I'm pretty sure it was actually Brad Stuart in the flames series with all of the crosschecks to the back. Allen was the slash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad