Confirmed with Link: Zetterberg has back surgery to remove a part of disc, out around 8 weeks

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Rentals, especially of the "I'm a freaking good player who's gonna make bank on free agency" variety, tend to not return much on the trade market. Why is this? Well, simply because the risk of losing said player to free agency is not enough to give up Jurco, Sproul, and multiple high picks for LESS THAN HALF A SEASON OF A SINGLE ASSET.

Cripes, Vanek only netted a first rounder and Matt Moulson. Why the heck is he going to return MORE this time with fewer days of team control? We're talking Garth freaking Snow for pete's sake. You're really overestimating what Vanek is going to land, especially considering how a lot of teams are up against the cap, which is why the Red Wings won't land him. It has nothing to do with the cost.

and second rounder.

moulson is also probably worth around 1st or 2nd and good prospect.

i don't think he will net as much as sarcastro said but wings aren't after vanek because of the cost. that was already reported by one (reliable) isles beat writer that wings are out of vanek as the asking price is too high.

cap wise it could be made work.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The thing is, he woke up the day after the first game with this pain. He felt "normal" after the game the day before. (normal for someone with back problems isn't the same as normal for "normal people".

So maybe it was the flight in combination with something else... it wasnt an ingame injury as much as i understand.

I can't remember where, but I saw it speculated that this may have been the first time Z had been off a few pain killer/anti-inflammatories because of doping regulations at the Olympics. Athletes can't even get cortisone shots at the olympics.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
IMO he should be shut down for the rest of the year. No need to rush him back, no pun intended.

They have Zetterberg signed until my kids go to college, shut him down, make the rehab go off with any problems(hopefully)

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
The Wheel Deal ‏@Bill_Roose 9m

Quincey said his L4-L5 Discectomy in 2009, same surgery RedWings Zetterberg had, was "best decision I ever made. Pain was gone immediately."

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

Quincey said his L4-L5 Discectomy in 2009, same surgery RedWings Zetterberg had, was "best decision I ever made. Pain was gone immediately."

I'd be curious to know how long Quincey was out. Probably had it done in the offseason though.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA

557.gif

I'm trusting you, Quincey

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Sounds like something I could potentially have done. I have been in relatively constant back pain for a couple of years due to a buldging disc pushing on my spine.

Surprised they remove the disc though :S

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
There's nothing to blow up, really, but I hope they don't give up a boatload for Vanek or someone similar. I'd love to see Vanek here long-term, but unless they give him Crosby money it's not going to happen, which means it's not going to happen. The price for Vanek is going to be something like Jurco, Sproul, and multiple high picks. Can't do it. Some other fool team will bite, though.

Wouldn't mind seeing them try to make a longer-term defensive pickup like the Blues did with Bouwmeester. They tried to do it with Q, but didn't realize how terrible he is. No high-priced rentals though.

I misread your post, I thought you meant you were advocating totally tanking to get a better draft pick, thus blowing up the team. I get what you are saying now.

The thing of it is, even with Z out, the playoff streak is still super important to the Wings organization and to a little lesser extent, the fans. So, we use the cap room having Z on LTIR and call up the farm. Roll with lines of...

Alfredsson-Datsyuk-Franzen
Nyquist-Weiss-Abdelkader
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Helm-Andersson
(I have a feeling I am forgetting someone, but this is my favorite lineup)

...and we still have a team that can make a run for the 7 or 8 seed if guys stay healthy. If Datsyuk looks like he did for team Russia, he can carry us. Hopefully Weiss has had time to get acclimated here and can settle in, obviously he is a downgrade from Z on that line, but the emergence of that solid 3rd line can make up for it, just like it did without Datsyuk.

If we get in and get Zetterberg back for the first round, I wouldn't want to face us. Especially if I'm Pittsburgh knowing a Detroit has the two players who have shut down their top players in two different playoff series (specifically Crosby). Plus, if we are calling up the young guns, we might as well give them the experience of really pushing to make the playoffs, that's better for their progression than tanking it.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
I can't remember where, but I saw it speculated that this may have been the first time Z had been off a few pain killer/anti-inflammatories because of doping regulations at the Olympics. Athletes can't even get cortisone shots at the olympics.

That coupled with flying on a plane for 12-14 hours probably didn't help things.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Maybe Quincey's pain went away because they removed his brain at the same time?

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
If we get in and get Zetterberg back for the first round, I wouldn't want to face us. Especially if I'm Pittsburgh knowing a Detroit has the two players who have shut down their top players in two different playoff series (specifically Crosby). Plus, if we are calling up the young guns, we might as well give them the experience of really pushing to make the playoffs, that's better for their progression than tanking it.

You do know we are missing a certain #1 generational defensemen that would also in addition to z being on his back take the ice every time the crying one would take a step on the ice.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I misread your post, I thought you meant you were advocating totally tanking to get a better draft pick, thus blowing up the team. I get what you are saying now.

The thing of it is, even with Z out, the playoff streak is still super important to the Wings organization and to a little lesser extent, the fans. So, we use the cap room having Z on LTIR and call up the farm. Roll with lines of...

Alfredsson-Datsyuk-Franzen
Nyquist-Weiss-Abdelkader
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Helm-Andersson
(I have a feeling I am forgetting someone, but this is my favorite lineup)

...and we still have a team that can make a run for the 7 or 8 seed if guys stay healthy. If Datsyuk looks like he did for team Russia, he can carry us. Hopefully Weiss has had time to get acclimated here and can settle in, obviously he is a downgrade from Z on that line, but the emergence of that solid 3rd line can make up for it, just like it did without Datsyuk.

The forwards should be ok if everyone gets healthy and they roll with the guys that aren't finished.

It's the defense that will drag them down. Kindl is not playing as well as last year. Smith is ok one night and a tire fire the next. Q is a tire fire every night. That's the keystone for this team.

If the options are to make a big splash on a rental defenseman and go for it all whilst giving up major assets, or letting it ride with the existing crew and risking missing the playoffs (and having a shot at a lottery pick that would be a HUGE boost to this team's future), I don't think that's much of a choice. I think we'd all agree that the team has nothing much of value to sell, so that's not an option either.

Obviously we would all rather see them make the playoffs and then go on a majestic and miraculous run to the Cup. But those of us who live in the real world can at least admit that this season looks like crap and that dumping the future for a run at the 8th spot and a punch in the face from Pittsburgh is a bad idea.

That's how I see it anyway. It's a nuanced position. Don't sell, unless someone wants to give something (anything) for the dead wood. Don't buy, unless you can somehow get a cornerstone defenseman with several years of control (or with a contract extension signed and delivered per the terms of the trade). Let it ride with the kids and the dead wood.

When the season is over, cut the dead wood and make room for the kids, but also try to add a top 4 defenseman that can play a little defense. If you make the playoffs, give it your best shot. If you don't, try like hell to bribe the lottery guy and hope you can get your franchise defenseman that way. Either way, with all the injuries and not-outstanding talent happening this year, it's time to start (continue?) lowering expectations on this season, pronto.

This is a minor back surgery. Stop worrying.

It's going to keep him out the rest of the regular season, and he's been the best player on the team all season. It's worth worrying over. And that's if we assume he'll be fine long-term, which is not a given.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->