Player Discussion Zemgus Girgensons

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
They're obviously still waiting to hear what Anaheim is willing to pay him so we can sign and trade him for Vatanen. HF has waited 10 years for another sign and trade and we're going to get a twofer in one deal!

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
I'd like to see that %@!#% who thought something so ******** :D At least in Latvian interviews. Zemgus himself have told that he'll never play in khl or russia many times.
KHL :D sure.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Same reason Risto isn't signed.

Be patient.

I want a long-term deal. These are the type of players that win championships. No Vesey could be blessing for Girgy -- more ice team and less likely to be traded.

This guy is a gem if he stays healthy.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
I want a long-term deal. These are the type of players that win championships. No Vesey could be blessing for Girgy -- more ice team and less likely to be traded.

This guy is a gem if he stays healthy.

Vesey signing with new york is a blessing for Buffalo, Girgs is a better talent.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Vesey signing with new york is a blessing for Buffalo, Girgs is a better talent.

I think Vesey is the better player right now but I think Girgs has a chance to improve more. I think Vesey has the more complete game judging him on his college games. I think Vesey is the better goal scorer and has shown the more consistent defensive game.

Girgs may have a better step on him but the grit game is equal if not leaning slightly to the Vesey side.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I think Vesey is the better player right now but I think Girgs has a chance to improve more. I think Vesey has the more complete game judging him on his college games. I think Vesey is the better goal scorer and has shown the more consistent defensive game.

Girgs may have a better step on him but the grit game is equal if not leaning slightly to the Vesey side.
I think you're absolutely insane if you think these things. I'm not even convinced Vesey is a better prospect than someone like Nic Baptiste. And no one talks about Nic Baptiste.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Is this for real? They always talk about these young players and how they've been "playing with men" -- our pal Vesey has been playing with boys. The dude is 23.

Grigs has show he can play and be very good in the NHL -- the gap between the NHL and NCAA is wider than the grand canyon. Girgensons got lost in the shuffle under Bylsma -- I personally feel it was because he was Nolan's boy -- but he was coming on at end of the season.

And Vesey more grit that Girgensons? That just makes me angry.

Right now, you tell the Rags you can have Girgenson's for Vesey, only reason the meant not do it is Vesey is $925,000 for next two years. I think they do it anyway.

Vesey could be a good player but I've got nothing to say Justin Bailey isn't better.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Yeah, I think you're more than a little offbase here.

Vesey is probably a better goal scorer at this point.

But Girgs absolutely has the more complete game and has much more grit than Vesey does

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Yeah, I think you're more than a little offbase here.

Vesey is probably a better goal scorer at this point.

I wanted Vesey as much as anybody but what evidence is there he is a better scorer. His NCAA stats against guys who will never make the NHL and who he had a couple years on? This type of logic that he slots in at 50 points. Let's see what he can do.

Girgensons had an off year but he scored 15 goals in 60 games. Granted with a lot of ice time but on a horrific team.

I'm astonished at how much he is undervalued that people can even suggest Vesey is better any way.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I wanted Vesey as much as anybody but what evidence is there he is a better scorer. His NCAA stats against guys who will never make the NHL and who he had a couple years on? This type of logic that he slots in at 50 points. Let's see what he can do.

Girgensons had an off year but he scored 15 goals in 60 games. Granted with a lot of ice time but on a horrific team.

I'm astonished at how much he is undervalued that people can even suggest Vesey is better any way.

Vesey is better

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I just wonder where people would slot the two, in terms of projecting, if both were Sabres.

Well, we just had a month or so of roster projections that answered that. Vesey goes from shiny new toy to enemy without even a cool down in between!

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I'm not anymore.

Its funny how different development paths have colored the perceptions of Girgs vs Vesey. At age 18 Vesey had just been skipped over in his first year of draft eligibility (2011) and was playing in the EJHL after graduating from HS. At age 18 Girgs had already been drafted 14th overall and was playing in the AHL. At age 19 Vesey is drafted as an overager in the 3rd round and starts at Harvard while Girgs is starting in the NHL. They were drafted the same year (2012).

The point being is Girgs stock was much higher than Vesey's when they were drafted in 2012. But because Girgs has been developing for the last 3 years in the NHL we've gotten to see his warts as he struggles through the highs and lows trying to develop at the highest level. Its led to many to lose faith in him as a player and forget the promise he has as a player. Whereas Vesey has had the benefit of playing at a lower level (college vs NHL). He basically slow cooked himself over the last 4 years at Harvard. It allowed him to still be that guy with tons of optimism and promise tied to him and little to no warts. Which is typically the case with prospects that have success at lower levels. The perceptions of each is colored in part by the respective paths they've taken since getting drafted.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I'm absolutely baffled by this post.

Girgs is a NHL player. Vesey is not yet.

Since Vesey hasn't played a single game in the NHL you can't definitively say he has a better two way game than Girgs because it was good in college. Nor can you say he has more grit or a more consistent defensive game than Girgs because of his college play either. Those statements need to be based on comparing like to like. College hockey compared to NHL hockey is not remotely comparing like to like. Until Vesey actually plays in the NHL and demonstrates these things you can't assert them to be the case. After next season we will have something to chew on.

If you had said Vesey had the potential for these things that would be a different story. But you specifically stated he is already as good or better than Girgs at these things based on his college play. Which was a head scratcher.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Fun fact;

We were one of the youngest rosters in the NHL last season and Girgs was one of the youngest regulars. Only Risto, Reinhart and Eichel were younger. He had McCabe beat by a few months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad