Prospect Info: Zam Plante, 150th overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
@Pavel Buchnevich was a strong advocate of his on the main boards, if my memory is not failing me. Maybe he is willing to step in here and share some details about his game.
Actually, I don’t like his game too much.

Would’ve come here and gave my opinion, if he was a player I liked and thought was a good selection for his draft slot. I do that on about 7-8 team boards after a pick. Plante isn’t one of those players. Possible though I’m wrong and I’m sure some people like his game more than I do.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Actually, I don’t like his game too much.

Would’ve come here and gave my opinion, if he was a player I liked and thought was a good selection for his draft slot. I do that on about 7-8 team boards after a pick. Plante isn’t one of those players. Possible though I’m wrong and I’m sure some people like his game more than I do.
Looks like my memory failed me. :laugh:

Thanks anyways.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
His dad scored 20+ goals three times in his career. I think considering where he was drafted, we should be ecstatic if he could match that.

Reactions: Night Shift

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
His dad scored 20+ goals three times in his career. I think considering where he was drafted, we should be ecstatic if he could match that.

I remember those Sabres teams. They reminded me a lot of NJ w/o cups. Like NJ no superstar forwards and all 4 lines always worked. But yeah, Plante was part of that.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I spent an hour today trying to prove my own theory theory that he was named after Rob Zamuner but I can’t find any connection between his dad and him.

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
I can't wait to see the future Poulin-Plante-Kapanen line in Pittsburgh. It can be "The Family Connection" line.

Alex Nylander is on standby in case of injury.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The Steel tend to be one of the top teams in the USHL. Guessing just based on location they get a lot of prospects wanting to play there. Brisson, Ferrell, Doan, Power, Coronato, Sameskovich & Colangelo in the last few years. Sheahan their coach is someone I’d consider a good young up-and-coming guy. In fact I’d hire him for WB/S if I were in charge.

It looks to me like their top 5 scoring forwards are all going off to college, though there’s a few 04 and 05 kids sticking with the team like Plante, and I’m not sure about incoming players, but to me it looks like Plante should at least have a great opportunity to earn a large offensive role.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Like Plante a lot.

Some info for McKeen's subscribers:

From our draft guide:
McKeen's 2022 NHL Draft Guide - The son of former NHL’er Derek Plante, Zam split the season between Chicago and Hermantown, originally starting the year with the Steel before heading back to Minnesota. With Chicago, he mostly filled a depth role on a deep Steel team, providing energy on the wing of a checking line (although did play up later in the year and looked great). In Hermantown, he was a dynamic, pace pushing center who has become one of the elite players in high school hockey.

Regardless of the role, one thing remains consistent about his game and that is his effort and tenacity away from the puck. Don’t let the low penalty minutes fool you. He’s not the type to make big hits or bully his way to the net, but physicality and competitiveness can be measured in other ways…ways that Plante has in spades. He is a relentless forechecker and a very competent boards player, who has a terrific stick that compensates for his lack of size/strength at the current time. His ability to use stick lifts or his feet to gain inside leverage allows him to keep plays alive and his awareness and determination allows him to force turnovers that can be capitalized on.

Plante also has the quickness that you like to see from a smaller player, even if there might be room for further development in his stability and edgework. Additionally, he possesses the kind of creativity that is rare from a competitive, high-energy attacker like Plante. This makes him a dangerous playmaker who can strike quickly following turnovers and elevate the play of those around him. His defensive game is also sound. Ultimately the question remains, what is Plante’s upside? As he adds further quickness and builds up the strength to play through contact more consistently through the middle, Plante does possess the attributes of a middle six forward. He will be heading to the University of Minnesota-Duluth at some point. He may play another year with Chicago first, and if that is the case, look for him to become one of the top players in the USHL next season. - BO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad