Injury Report: Zajac injured, out 4-6 months.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
We were going to be bad with Zajac. Maybe less fun too because Nico or Zacha can't do much with limited minutes on a third line.

Our team is insanely young. Young kids make bad mistakes and the otter kids aren't experienced enough to cover those mistakes. We don't have enough vets to cover those mistakes.

We will have some games where the kids just take over. Pot like 7 goals combined and it looks amazing. We will have more games where kids misplace passes that lead to goals against that cost us.

This is just the nature of development.

I'm excited at the prospect of watching a development year, rather than another transitional year.

I'm sure Shero will bring in a RW stopgap on a PTO-turned-contract, but this year will be different in that our foundation at forward is pretty much set. The organization has plenty of guns for the young, fast core Shero envisions.

They just have to develop accordingly and carve their own niche. I'm expecting it from Zacha, and crossing my fingers for JQ and Blandisi. Hischier and McLeod are wild cards that have the potential to impress.

It'll be fun to witness it all from day one, starting in October.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
They'll cost way too much, and I don't necessarily see the overwhelming need.

If we're spending bluechip assets in a trade, we better be acquiring a good defenseman.

I agree. But if Shero can get either Duchene or RNH at a cost that makes sense, you obviously do it. And in these circumstances (RNH forced out because of salary, Duchene staying in Colorado makes zero sense because he's not resigning there and GMs know that) it could come cheaper than we think. you never know.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
I agree. But if Shero can get either Duchene or RNH at a cost that makes sense, you obviously do it. And in these circumstances (RNH forced out because of salary, Duchene staying in Colorado makes zero sense because he's not resigning there and GMs know that) it could come cheaper than we think. you never know.

RNH would be a good choice, Dem would love to get out of that contract but would want a okay Center coming back.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

It's just so beyond pointless to discuss or even speculate because there are several teams that have expressed interest and can offer double what we would.

This isn't a Johansson situation where Ray gave himself the inside track by watching from afar, circling, then pouncing once the Kuznetsov deal was in place. It also isn't a calculated, educated gamble like Palmieri.

Duchene has been a story for a long time now. RNH is about to become one, given Edmonton's center depth and new cap constraints. We're in no position to enter a bidding war, ESPECIALLY for a player that isn't a defenseman.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
It's just so beyond pointless to discuss or even speculate because there are several teams that have expressed interest and can offer double what we would.

This isn't a Johansson situation where Ray gave himself the inside track by watching from afar, circling, then pouncing once the Kuznetsov deal was in place. It also isn't a calculated, educated gamble like Palmieri.

Duchene has been a story for a long time now. RNH is about to become one, given Edmonton's center depth and new cap constraints. We're in no position to enter a bidding war, ESPECIALLY for a player that isn't a defenseman.

Sure. The bolded may be true. But do you ever think about the fact that there is a salary cap in the NHL? How many teams can give COL/EDM something significantly more than NJ can give, AND can afford to pay RNH 6 million and Duchene the 7.5 he is probably going to get when his current deal expires. EDM will likely move RNH simply because they cannot afford to keep him, meaning they cannot take salary back in a trade. I would love to hear these "several" teams that can offer double what NJD can, and also have the salary cap space to keep these players. Come on man, start thinking before you post.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Sure. The bolded may be true. But do you ever think about the fact that there is a salary cap in the NHL? How many teams can give COL/EDM something significantly more than NJ can give, AND can afford to pay RNH 6 million and Duchene the 7.5 he is probably going to get when his current deal expires. EDM will likely move RNH simply because they cannot afford to keep him, meaning they cannot take salary back in a trade. I would love to hear these "several" teams that can offer double what NJD can, and also have the salary cap space to keep these players. Come on man, start thinking before you post.

Hang on... was it not you who posted "Zacha or Henrique for Hanifin" in the trade board earlier this summer? Weren't you one of the "Kovalchuk+ for Drouin lol" guys?

You might want to heed your own counsel.

Anyway, it's just the usual suspects for Duchene. NSH shed ~$4.5M from Fisher's decision to retire. CBJ has to sign Wennberg, but will find cap room by including (almost certainly) Murray's ~$2.25M and (probably) Calvert's dump contract. PIT likely offloads Hagelin, and overpays to do so.

It isn't worth talking about affording Duchene's next contract, as I suspect the team that acquires him does so to force a two-year window. Those teams tend to ask questions later.

It also isn't worth talking about RNH, as his trade isn't imminent. The Oilers aren't cap-crunched until McDavid's new contract kicks in, which isn't until 2018-19. Time is on Edmonton's side; I'd be floored if they liquidated him now, rather than assembling the best team possible for a run this coming year.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

He is right about the cap. Not a lot of teams can bring on a huge salary in a trade and I doubt the Ava want to take salary back.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
This to me is an oversimplification; every poster is excited about the future and watching the kids develop. But no one wants to see a bunch of 18/19 year old kids getting shelled night in night out and losing confidence or developing poorly. Sure, if they're ready they're ready.

How exactly is losing 1 guy going to make all that happen?

kiwidevil

Edmonton won't move RNH until next offseason unless they get a comparable player back.

They are in win now mode and McD's new contract doesn't kick in until next year.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I mean, we "earned" the 5th overall pick last year, we haven't fixed our biggest problem area (defense), and we just lost our top center for 4 to 6 months. I think we can make a lot of progress this year, but I don't expect us to seriously compete for the playoffs.

But maybe only 2 of those months will be during the season. It's not necessarily a crippling injury.

Still, this season is probably a wash.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Losing one of the best two way forwards in the game, with 3 potential centers under the age of 20 on the roster, does not help. No, just losing Zajac is not the only reason this could happen 😂.

going back to your original comment about the "kids being shelled" wouldn't that have happened if zajac was in the lineup?

these kids your talking about are legit prospects btw. taken VERY VERY VERY HIGH in the draft

zacha the 6th player taken a few years ago

mcloed the 11th player taken 2 years ago

nico the best player taken this year.

these aren't like some 3rd rounder that we have to ease into the lineup IMO

Merrills Marauders

Jul 20, 2011
New Jersey
zacha the 6th player taken a few years ago

mcloed the 11th player taken 2 years ago

nico the best player taken this year.

these aren't like some 3rd rounder that we have to ease into the lineup IMO

this, again, seems to just be stirring the pot for argument. Nico is not guaranteed to be "the best ()" player in this draft - he hasn't played an NHL game yet. No point in rehashing my stance - it's simply not beneficial to lose your 1C/best defensive forward (maybe player) when you have 1-2 rookies who have never played an NHL minute potentially slotting in at C. how this is debatable to me, is "mind bobbling".

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
this, again, seems to just be stirring the pot for argument. Nico is not guaranteed to be "the best (😂)" player in this draft - he hasn't played an NHL game yet. No point in rehashing my stance - it's simply not beneficial to lose your 1C/best defensive forward (maybe player) when you have 1-2 rookies who have never played an NHL minute potentially slotting in at C. how this is debatable to me, is "mind bobbling".

the only player that will and should be playing 1C is henrique thats it. i dont care how bad he is defensively i dont care if he can't do this or that. the goal this season isn't making the playoffs and it never was. it was a development year and anything more then that was just gravy. so again what kids are going to be put into a position NOW with zajac out to get "shelled"? zacha? 2nd line center and if he can't handle it at this point in his development being the #6 pick 3 years ago i dont know what to tell you. and i feel perfectly fine putting nico on the 3rd line and we can "shelter" him all we want there.

i think nico on the 3rd line center is a perfect fit

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Kind of crazy that the next season or two might be Edmonton's best shot before they have to lose some big pieces to make room.

Isn't that nuts? They were the black hole of the league for the longest time, fast-forwarded to win-now mode basically overnight, and will soon face cap hell in trying to churn out a perennial playoff team.

Merrills Marauders

Jul 20, 2011
New Jersey
the only player that will and should be playing 1C is henrique thats it. i dont care how bad he is defensively i dont care if he can't do this or that. the goal this season isn't making the playoffs and it never was. it was a development year and anything more then that was just gravy. so again what kids are going to be put into a position NOW with zajac out to get "shelled"? zacha? 2nd line center and if he can't handle it at this point in his development being the #6 pick 3 years ago i dont know what to tell you. and i feel perfectly fine putting nico on the 3rd line and we can "shelter" him all we want there.

i think nico on the 3rd line center is a perfect fit

Several problems with this. For one, it's not a well kept secret that Henrique has glaring deficiencies as a centerman, yet alone a 1C taking the toughest assignments. But this notion you're getting caught up on draft status is "mind bobbling" - Zacha being the #6 pick literally has nothing to do with him being able to be penciled in for *second* line center. He basically just turned 20 and has played all of 71 career NHL games. Of course we all hope he succeeds there, but you make it sound like if he doesn't he's automatically a bust. Woof.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I definitely don't want a kid assuming the 1C responsibilities. Someone tipped me off that Johansson apparently stated he's more comfortable at wing, so I guess that leaves Henrique.

Far from ideal, but it is what it is. Maybe he and Hall can get something going again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad