Injury Report: Zajac injured, out 4-6 months.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
If we do roll with Hall-Henrique on the top line, does Palmieri get shifted?

9-14-21 is reminiscent of our top line in 2012, but I also understand the argument to distribute the scoring. Given how young our bottom-9 will be, it may also make sense to distribute the veterans we do have.

90-37-21 could be a pretty neat second line.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

9-14-21 is reminiscent of our top line in 2012, but I also understand the argument to distribute the scoring. Given how young our bottom-9 will be, it may also make sense to distribute the veterans we do have.

I think we have to.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think we have to.

If we load up the first line and go with 9-14-21, that leaves Johansson and Boyle as the remaining veterans for the bottom-9.

It'd be cool to see the kiddies make some magic and run a line together, but I like the idea of having a veteran stabilizer on each line.

Again, I'm itching to see this year's PTO invite(s).

Merrills Marauders

Jul 20, 2011
New Jersey

If Zacha is indeed our 2C, then i'm all for surrounding him with palms and mojo. But then who is taking 1RW?

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Several problems with this. For one, it's not a well kept secret that Henrique has glaring deficiencies as a centerman, yet alone a 1C taking the toughest assignments. But this notion you're getting caught up on draft status is "mind bobbling" - Zacha being the #6 pick literally has nothing to do with him being able to be penciled in for *second* line center. He basically just turned 20 and has played all of 71 career NHL games. Of course we all hope he succeeds there, but you make it sound like if he doesn't he's automatically a bust. Woof.

again WHO CARES if henrique is our #1 center? we are in a development year this team wasn't going to compete for a playoff sport before travis and it isn't after travis. so again WHO CARES if henrique is going to play 1C and isn't good at it?

so your saying i'm asking too much and wrong to assume that the #6 pick from 3 years ago should be able to assume the role that he was drafted for? if he isn't then at what point do you start to worry that he will "bust"?

Merrills Marauders

Jul 20, 2011
New Jersey
I really don't think they are going to play Zacha at center, guys.

Agree with this - they've alluded to and (I think?) outright said he's seen as a winger. So then you have potentially two spots between Henrique-Boyle to go to Hischier, McLeod, PTO/mojo. But this has been beaten to death so it's really not worth speculating until the final roster comes together after camp.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
😂😂😂😂. So now Zacha not playing center magically opens up the door to Zajac being out as a problem. Can't make this up.

guess you don't understand that if we lost a center and zacha isn't going to play center. you don't see how that would effect things?

that would mean nico would be used as a 2C which i'm sure your against correct?

so are you still confused as to why zacha not playing 2C would be an issue?

this doesn't effect the team being competitive just the fact we wouldn't have a 2C

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
IMO the centers are going to be Henrique, Hischier, Boyle, and one of the other kids.

Zacha POSSIBLY, but I really don't think they are keen on using him there

Merrills Marauders

Jul 20, 2011
New Jersey
guess you don't understand that if we lost a center and zacha isn't going to play center. you don't see how that would effect things?

that would mean nico would be used as a 2C which i'm sure your against correct?

so are you still confused as to why zacha not playing 2C would be an issue?

this doesn't effect the team being competitive just the fact we wouldn't have a 2C

Since you seem to be having major comprehension issues here; i never once stated this was contingent upon only losing Zajac, nor did I ever say i'm only concerned with center depth. I said I am concerned with having the best defensive forward on the team out for a long period of time. This could force Hischier *and* McLeod into center roles. You (incorrectly) assumed Zacha was a center, despite the team stating otherwise and his whopping 70 games at the NHL level, predominantly all at wing. So, in summation, my point was that the kids could already be in over the head and losing Zajac simply cannot help that. Never said that losing him would be the only reason for them struggling. Obviously i'm getting nowhere with this, and frankly I find it rather tiresome without knowing what the final roster will look like.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Theres no point in really talking about lines now because with the Zajac injury, there is 1000000% going to be a training camp invite or two or three, or even a signing, of a centerman. I think one thing we can guarantee is that Hischier and Boyle will be 2 of our 4 Cs to start the season. Henrique is a pretty damn good bet to be one of them too. After that, who the hell knows. Here are the only absolute sure things on our roster right now.

C - Hischier, Boyle, (Henrique?)
LW - Johansson, Wood
RW - Palmieri, Noesen

D- Greene, Severson, Moore, Lovejoy

G - Schneider, Kinkaid

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
If Zacha is indeed our 2C, then i'm all for surrounding him with palms and mojo. But then who is taking 1RW?

Your guess is as good as mine.

I really don't think they are going to play Zacha at center, guys.

I was saying this prior to the Zajac injury, but now I think he'll get some time at center out of necessity.

I'd be reluctant to trot out Hischier/McLeod as our middle-6 centers on a full-time basis. At the very least, I suspect we'll see Zacha yo-yo between LW/C to ease those guys in (mainly McLeod).

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Why? Zacha played center on this team just last year, while Mojo hasn't played center for any team in a long time

Zacha played center last year the way Gomez played center in 2006 - taking faceoffs while Elias (or Henrique in this case) did all the heavy duty responsibility stuff.

I like PZ a lot, but I've yet to see anything that suggests he's ready to handle true C responsibility. He's not particularly great at ES play or faceoffs yet. That's Johansson's skill set (and McLeod's for that matter).

We need to be patient with Zacha, more than with Nico or McLeod. It's going to take him a while to figure out the kind of player he is. Keep him at wing with special teams duty, that's where he's excelled.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I would be reaching out to Brian Gionta, Daniel Winnick, Brooks Laich, Jarome Iginla, Jiri Hudler, PA Parenteau, Brandon Pirri, Ryan White, and Alex Chaisson for potential PTO invites. Realistically I could see two or three of Gionta, Winnick, Laich, Pirri and Parenteau possibly coming.

Lol this reminds me of that season when the Devils invited half of the remaining UFAs to training camp. Fedotenko, Kaberle, Komisarek, who else?????

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I would be reaching out to Brian Gionta, Daniel Winnick, Brooks Laich, Jarome Iginla, Jiri Hudler, PA Parenteau, Brandon Pirri, Ryan White, and Alex Chaisson for potential PTO invites. Realistically I could see two or three of Gionta, Winnick, Laich, Pirri and Parenteau possibly coming.

Lol this reminds me of that season when the Devils invited half of the remaining UFAs to training camp. Fedotenko, Kaberle, Komisarek, who else?????

The only guy on that list that excites me is Brian Gionta, but I've already made my stance on him known several times on here. I won't re-hash it.

Other than that, maybe Chiasson? He hasn't been effective since his Dallas days. Maybe Ryan White? He's certainly "tough to play against," which is what Shero wants.

There's basically nothing out there.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
The only guy on that list that excites me is Brian Gionta, but I've already made my stance on him known several times on here. I won't re-hash it.

Other than that, maybe Chiasson? He hasn't been effective since his Dallas days. Maybe Ryan White? He's certainly "tough to play against," which is what Shero wants.

There's basically nothing out there.

Me too! I want Shero to just sign Gionta.

As we talk about this, news comes out that the Devils have invited Jimmy Hayes to camp. The guy I purposely left off of the list because of how bad he sucks.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Gionta could be an interesting option, even moreso with Zajac's injury.

I wouldn't hate him as a veteran mentor for a year on the cheap, but I don't think he'd want to join a team on a PTO at his age and I wouldn't want to commit to him without seeing the kids first.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Since you seem to be having major comprehension issues here; i never once stated this was contingent upon only losing Zajac, nor did I ever say i'm only concerned with center depth. I said I am concerned with having the best defensive forward on the team out for a long period of time. This could force Hischier *and* McLeod into center roles. You (incorrectly) assumed Zacha was a center, despite the team stating otherwise and his whopping 70 games at the NHL level, predominantly all at wing. So, in summation, my point was that the kids could already be in over the head and losing Zajac simply cannot help that. Never said that losing him would be the only reason for them struggling. Obviously i'm getting nowhere with this, and frankly I find it rather tiresome without knowing what the final roster will look like.

you make this huge assumption that he isn't playing center and you aren't even the one that mentioned it. bowl cut did so slow your roll.

i believe he will play center. i'm not worried about the kids getting steam rolled or shelled night after night. there are 0 expectations this year from any of them and the team in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad