Confirmed with Link: Zadorov to VAN for a 2024 5th and 2026 3rd

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Craig the conned man Conroy :skeptic:

EDIT: Now that things have cooled off a bit, a huge chunk of the value was salary cap. It's not too bad assuming Conroy weaponizes the cap appropriately.

Last edited:

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
In comparison, Treliving managed to get a conditional 2nd, Pollock & Jokipakka for Kris Russell, who like Zadorov was a bottom pairing defenseman could act as a #4 for a small stretches every now and then. But he was also like a foot smaller.

They're positives to this deal in that it's clear the Flames are looking to the (very distant) future, that their giving their prospects a chance but the return is undoubtedly terrible.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
In comparison, Treliving managed to get a conditional 2nd, Pollock & Jokipakka for Kris Russell, who like Zadorov was a bottom pairing defenseman could act as a #4 for a small stretches every now and then. But he was also like a foot smaller.

They're positives to this deal in that it's clear the Flames are looking to the (very distant) future, that their giving their prospects a chance but the return is undoubtedly terrible.

Completely different markets.

The cap environment and lack of space available really limits what can be done.

There is some real value in having 5+M in cap space.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Wait I just saw this. Meh return imo. There's little chance a 3rd and 5th round pick become NHL calibre players.

Even if they somehow become NHL players it won't make the trade any less worse. That just means we got lucky and/or drafted well.

Last edited:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The cap space can't be overstated, go to cap friendly and look at how many teams are over the cap let alone at the cap. There are literally 4 teams in the league who can take Zadorovs cap hit. Now when we trade Lindholm, Tanev or Hanifin we can actually take on salary back to get more value then.

Connie's talking right now about it. Cap space in the modern era doesn't get talked about when it comes to how valuable it is, it's an asset in itself.

Reactions: Fig and Felidae

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I’m confused why it has to be a 2026 3rd. That future player is a decade away from making an impact

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wait I just saw this. Meh return imo. There's little chance a 3rd and 5th round pick become NHL calibre players.

Even if they somehow become NHL players it won't make the trade any less worse. That just means we got lucky and/or drafted well.
Eh, we've drafted pretty well recently in later rounds, and I don't think it's just luck.

Poirier (3rd), Solovyov (7th), Wolf (7th), Pospisil (4th), Ruzicka (4th), Fox (3rd), Mangiapane (6th)... Sergeev (7th) is also looking great but until he has a pro season under his belt I'm not going to hype him too much.

Reactions: Fig

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Until Conroy takes advantage of the cap space he is bragging about, it’s a crappy trade to me. Basically giving zadorov away for nothing to a division rival.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Until Conroy takes advantage of the cap space he is bragging about, it’s a crappy trade to me. Basically giving zadorov away for nothing to a division rival.
Agreed. I think it's closer to something like a Bjorkstrand move to move cap and decreasing the value of the player to do a quick salary move. Moving now allows us to accumulate cap longer. We will see how that all factors in by the TDL. It seems the Toffoli trade may have been somewhat similar as well. I saw the cap was low on most teams, but I didn't realize things had progressed to where basically less than half a dozen teams could take on 4 mil cap hit straight up and most teams are stuck gaming LTIR to make their caps compliant.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The cap space can't be overstated, go to cap friendly and look at how many teams are over the cap let alone at the cap. There are literally 4 teams in the league who can take Zadorovs cap hit. Now when we trade Lindholm, Tanev or Hanifin we can actually take on salary back to get more value then.

Connie's talking right now about it. Cap space in the modern era doesn't get talked about when it comes to how valuable it is, it's an asset in itself.
Cap space is extremely valuable, this is true. However, are we actually in a position to weaponize that cap space? I remain unconvinced of that.

Reactions: Janks and Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Cap space is extremely valuable, this is true. However, are we actually in a position to weaponize that cap space? I remain unconvinced of that.

I think so. With how damn bad the cap crunch is for some teams, even fitting sub $5 mil contracts at TDL is a tough call. We will likely have to retain plus take on extra contracts just to get the trades to work. Some teams ultra close to cap via LTIR might only be able to take on a few mil, or may pay a hello of a premium to take more than one player.

Whether Conroy get paid the appropriate premium to facilitate these trades is where we see if he is a good GM or a poor one. Some poor looking moves at the beginning should actually end up being great positional moves later on depending on the other moves. So I want see this actually happen and I'm willing to have some faith. It'd taking a few steps back to get a running start before a jump.

Technically, Conroy hasn't really strayed from what he said he would do. But if we as fans are severely undervaluing cap space, then he honestly has been getting appropriate and not insanely poor returns on the trades thus far. But I need to see the entire chain of events before concurring that the Toffoli and Z trades weren't below market value in a brutal way.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3