Confirmed with Link: Zadorov to VAN for a 2024 5th and 2026 3rd

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Conroy might just not be very good at this trading thing. Shame because it was one of the few things Treliving actually excelled at (specifically referring to selling here).

Still, picks are better then re-signing him to the 5yr/5M+ deal he was looking for. And even better that the Flames might actually just be thinking big picture here for once. To sell off a UFA while in a playoff spot? That's a massive step forward for this franchise.

But yeah, should definitely lower expectations for what Hanifin and Lindholm will return. Ceiling is basically the Horvat deal - some junk and a mid to late first.

Most importantly, hope this means a full time spot for Solovyov. Oesterle is terrible.

Reactions: Boomstick

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
I remembered this convo about what Z would return with a friend. I called it:

IMG_9007.jpeg

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Disappointed not to get a 2nd. He may be a bottom pairing D but he's a good one that brings a lot to the table when he's on. There's lots of teams looking(or at least should be looking) for defenseman. The fact it was to a divisional rival as well.

The 3rd is in 2026, so maybe by 2030 if we don't trade it and pick a good player it has a chance to contribute. Doesn't really seem to fit a re-tool mindset. Doesn't make a lot of sense any way you look at it unless Conroy felt that his presence was actively hurting the locker room.

Either way happy trails Zad, you were fun and at times frustrating to watch.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
As someone said on another board the Flames freed up almost $3.8million in cap space which will help future trades. So three assets were acquired from Vancouver.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
As someone else said on another board the Flames also free up over $3.8 million in cap space (And kept a salary retention spot). That will help with future trades so the Flames acquired three assets.

Reactions: Fig

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
North of terrible, well South of good. To a divisional rival no less.

I’ll keep listening to the excuses for Conroy and folks saying I am over reacting in stating again that he is not a good negotiator. Some people won’t listen until we’ve given Lindholm away.

Reactions: Tofveve

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I agree with @super6646 , I think people need to to keep in perspective this guy is a #5 d-man away from Darryl Sutter. There's a reason no team has kept him long term, he shows glimpses of brilliance, but makes some of the dumbest decisions and ever since his trade demand leaked he was playing awful.

Not saying this is win for the team, I thought we could have also got a better return. At least we're in the mindset of acquiring more picks and we cleared $3.75 mil in cap for future trades.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Don't worry guys Connie may have still had that winning smile during the deal handshake but he squeezed a microsecond harder and longer than normal like he was saying make a deal like this again with us and I'll squeeze and hold the handshake even a little harder and longer next time.

Reactions: Fig

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If this is return, it was as much getting Z out of the room. Remember there has been talk that he rubbed the guys the wrong way by calling them about then requesting a trade.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I think it's a decent trade - we clear his cap hit without having to take on anything. This will allow flexibility with any roster transactions, and I assume we will be able to call up Coronato pretty soon.

He's a third pairing D on a good team who's had a great start to the season but fell off a cliff the last 10 games or so. I didn't expect to get anything more than a 3rd for him especially if we are not taking anything salary back.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I was listening to some of Barn Burner earlier, and even Rhett Warrener was saying that "with how the season has played out, a third was the best you were getting without retention or adding something else to it. Getting the 5th this year is basically a "down payment" for the fact that we have to wait 3 years for the third (which means essentially 6-8 years before we even see if the person becomes an NHLer or not).

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'd love to know what Treliving offered. Wouldn't be surprised if the salary retention request killed the deal even if it was better than what we got fron Van. We all know how Edwards hates paying players who play for someone else.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
This almost seems more like a precursor get a return but more important ditch the $4m cap hit trade without retaining so the next trade can occur without cap pressure

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
I was listening to some of Barn Burner earlier, and even Rhett Warrener was saying that "with how the season has played out, a third was the best you were getting without retention or adding something else to it. Getting the 5th this year is basically a "down payment" for the fact that we have to wait 3 years for the third (which means essentially 6-8 years before we even see if the person becomes an NHLer or not).
Perfect by the time that 3rd round pick is NHL ready he’ll replace Huberdeau when his contract is up next decade

• Haha
Reactions: Tofveve

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Capgeek says the Nucks alreadt traded away their 2024 5th?

Ahh I see it says we got Chi's 5th. I guess that is almost a 4th, so a bit better?

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I'd love to know what Treliving offered. Wouldn't be surprised if the salary retention request killed the deal even if it was better than what we got fron Van. We all know how Edwards hates paying players who play for someone else.
Salary retention, but also he was trying to get Tanev as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad