Zadorov and Varlamov... what's your analysis?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Personally, after his struggles the last few years and his major surgery, I don't have confidence in Varlamov becoming even a league average starter for us, especially when this team is ready to compete. I'm not saying he sucks, but I am quite happy that his contract expires in 2019. The problem is going to be actually finding a legitimate starting goalie (or starting goalie prospect) to take over from Varly. Call me pessimistic but I don't have much faith in Spencer Martin being that guy.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Right there with you. Martin has the physical talent to be a NHL goalie... I'm not sure he has the mental ability. After him, the pipeline gets really, really ugly. I would like to see the Avs take a flier on a NCAA free agent this summer to attempt to shore that up. Though I don't think the answer will come from there.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm a big eye test guy, but Varly isn't coming close to sniffing that either. He has given up plenty of bad goals this and past seasons. There are always bounces and bad luck goals that happen to every goalie, over time they balance out. The last 2+ seasons Varly has been at .908. That is bad, really bad for a starting NHL goalie. Over that time, Varly has played 99 games. There have been 42 other goalies that have played 75 games... Varly is 37th in save percentage only beating out Niemi, Lehtonen, Ward, Condon, and Domingue (funny enough Bernier is just a sliver ahead). The number of .915 that I threw out would put him around the likes of Markstrom, Greiss, Riemer, Halak, Darling, Rask, Rinne, Talbot, Anderson, Allen, Smith etc. Some good starters in there, but few world beaters. The range between .914 and .916 encompasses numbers 16-30 on that 42 goalie list. It isn't like that is asking the world, or even top 10... It is asking him to be NHL starter level in that area.

Part of what you're illustrating with the shots really fits my argument that Roy's system greatly inflated goalie stats. The statistical proof is there, and it is plain as day. Berra, Pickard, and Varly all produced good numbers under Roy. 2 of the 3 are not in the league right now (though Picks should be), and all have dropped off away from Roy. People go back to the 13-15 Varly seasons (even if Varly had some struggles in 14-15, he was solid), see what he did there, and think Varly is that level of goalie. I think it was a mirage and the perfect timing for that to happen. He has the physical talent to be that goalie, but has puck tracking issues and has always had injury issues. The latter might be catching up to him. It is still early in the season, but I don't think he looks as athletic as he used to be... and I don't think he is a goalie that will deal with lesser athleticism well.

Over the past 2+ seasons, I haven't seen Varly as a starting capable goalie. He has great moments and flashes, but he doesn't look like a good, or even average NHL starting goalie over that time frame. Combine that with is 5.9m cap hit, I'm sorry, but the expectation should be at least above average. If he can't hit that, you're better off paying between 3-4m for an average starter, and using the extra 2-3m on depth. I've argued this for years.

I have to take issue with characterizing this year as giving up “plenty of bad goals.” That simply isn’t the case at all. He’s given up a few, mostly due to not covering rebounds which he has an issue with sometimes, but plenty of bad goals would be way more in my mind.

Not to mention, every goaltender gives up a few bad goals every season. The question is, how many does he give up the rest of the way. If it’s not that many, then he’s likely played just fine this season. If he has more and more the rest of the year, then it’s fair to say he had a poor season.

I also have to take issue with the sample you’re using to evaluate his .908 from 2015-16 to now. Last season was an anomaly. Factoring that into his save percentage over the course of 2+ seasons just gives you a misleading conclusion.

2015-16 he had a .914 on a bad team. This year if you take out that one Vegas game like I said, he’s also got a .914.

Then there’s last season where the team was bad to begin with, then had some key injuries, a coach that wouldn’t adapt, a team that clearly just gave up after EJ went down, and a goaltender with a bum hip/groin that needed surgery.

If you look at the save percentage of any goaltender's worst season like Varly’s last year, and combine that with the percentage from the following season, plus 18 games, you’re not going to get a pretty number.

It’s just not fair to include Varly’s numbers from that season, unless you’re only talking about that season.

At this point though, there simply aren’t enough bad goals this year to be overly concerned with his play. He played great early, and for the most part has been solid since. The team in front of him has been up and down and all over the place. This is the problem.

This conversation also gets back to the fundamental idea that myself and others have tried to emphasize. You can’t look at numbers for goalies on bad teams. They are gonna be off.

Comparing his save percentage to the rest of the goalies in the league has the same problem because he’s arguably played for the worst team in the league since that time. This carries with it the same problem of judging a goaltender on a bad team, based on save percentage.

Not to mention you can't exactly use games played for your sample on everything, because he missed a significant amount of time. So you're comparing the numbers of a certain amount of goalies that played the same or more games in a backup, or split time role, with Varly who played a tougher starters role, but missed games due to injury.

On top of that, there’s an affect on goalies that get bombarded with shots and grade A scoring chances, where they start to just get beaten down mentally and physically. Good goalies have to deal with this to an extent and still perform well, but we have to admit there’s a limit somewhere.

I’m not sure it’s reasonable to expect any top goaltender in the league to play for a terrible defensive team, multiple years in a row, and have good numbers every single year. Eventually it will catch up to you. It’s human nature, and I think Varly started to deflate a bit after getting the crap kicked out of him every night.

One goalie stat that I’d really like to drill down on, but don’t have the time, or know of a site that does it for me, is shots against per minute played over the course of the last 2+ seasons. Or perhaps during his time in Colorado. I have a feeling Varly would be pretty high on this list.

You can’t use total shots against since Varly missed a decent amount of time to injury, and you can’t use shots against per game played, or game started since that’s too situational and misleading. Shots per minute, and only among starting goaltenders (not necessarily above a certain games played threshold) I think would be a pretty telling stat in terms of how bombarded Varly has been in Colorado. Even more so would be grade A scoring chances per minute. I feel like there’s a good chance Varly leads all starters by a mile on that one.

I did compare Cam Talbot to Varly in this regard though, who has faced the total most shots with 4394 since 2015-16. Rounding the seconds up/down to the minute, Talbot has faced .503 shots per minute on average since 2015-16.

Varly has faced .547 per minute since 2015-16. Using that average (which isn’t entirely accurate since we don’t know exactly how many shots he’d face if he hadn’t missed those games) if Varly would have played the 8735 minutes that Talbot has in that time, instead of his 5557 minutes due to injury, he would have faced 4778 shots.

That’s 384 more shots since 2015-16 than the goaltender who’s faced the most shots in the NHL during that time. Again, not entirely accurate, but close enough to give a pretty good impression of what’s been asked of Varly on a nightly basis.

Last edited:
Reactions: brhymes19

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If you take the filter to 99 games (number of games Varly has played over the past 2+ seasons), Varly sits 28th out of 31. He's been bad.

The shots per minute thing... the one year with Roy there, I think that is even inflating his save percentage. It would be worse under a different coach for that year, but no sense in going through this IMO. I think Varly has been below average for a while now, and I think people are looking back to his play a few years ago and thinking that is who he is... I think it was an anomaly.

Reactions: StayAtHomeAv

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If you take the filter to 99 games (number of games Varly has played over the past 2+ seasons), Varly sits 28th out of 31. He's been bad.

The shots per minute thing... the one year with Roy there, I think that is even inflating his save percentage. It would be worse under a different coach for that year, but no sense in going through this IMO. I think Varly has been below average for a while now, and I think people are looking back to his play a few years ago and thinking that is who he is... I think it was an anomaly.

You have the same problem no matter what the filter is though.

You're comparing a 2+ season sample consisting of Varly's worst career season, when he was injured, and on the worst team in the league, with other goaltenders who may or may not have had their worst career season during that time, may or may not have been injured, and may or may not play for a bad team.

As well as this year where he'd have a .914 without the Vegas game. As well as comparing the save percentage of starters and backups, or split duty goaltenders, who don't face the same level of competition.

It's just not a fair comparison.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You have the same problem no matter what the filter is though.

You're comparing a 2+ season sample consisting of Varly's worst career season, with other goaltenders who may or may not have had their worst career season during that time, and may or may not play for a bad team.

As well as this year where he'd have a .914 without the Vegas game. As well as comparing the save percentage of starters and backups, or split duty goaltenders, who don't face the same level of competition.

It's just not a fair comparison.

We can go after this again at the end of the season. Varly doesn't look average to me and will likely end below average. You could eliminate bad games and make Dan Cloutier like a good goalie. If you are taking out the Vegas game, you might as well take out his shutout or the Carolina game... it doesn't make sense to exclude.

We can go further back too... Since Varly came to the Avs, he has played 307 games. So setting the filter to 300 games from 11-12 until now, Varly ranks 15th out of 17 (though with a .915 save percentage). Only Niemi and Lehtonen are worse in those numbers. Then you take out Varly's godmode 13-14, the .915 drops to .912 which is only .001 above Lehtonen and Niemi. Varly has had one amazing season and one solid season... the rest of his career, he has been below average. I see that and I think his good years are an anomaly more than reality. Just like Duchene's PPG seasons, they were his peak and he isn't that player.
Varly is in the midst of his 7th season here... only one of those was he one of the best in the NHL. I'm just calling a spade, a spade.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Case in point why this is a bad idea, if you take out that disaster Vegas game where they lost 7-0, he goes from a 3.14 GAA and .905 save percentage on the season, to a 2.91 GAA and .914 save percentage.

And if you take out the shutout, he has a sv% of .900 and GAA of 3.33. Cherry picking can work both ways.

If you take out both "outlier" games, he has a 3.10GAA and .909sv% (the bad game was worse than the shutout was good as far as the numbers).

For arguments sake, lets define a stinker as below .900 and a great game as above .940 (well, .939 as he has one at that). That gives him 5 great games, and 7 crappy ones not including the one he came in as relief.

And this season, as of right now, the Avs are mid-pack as far as shots allowed per game. Exactly mid-pack...16th. That speaks a bit against "the Avs are so crappy on D, can't expect him to stand on his every game" argument.

Varly has been better than Bernier, and better than he was last year. But he has not been worth $5.5M....get paid that much as a netminder, you are expected to have more games that you stand on your head than you do stinkers. There are 23 goalies that have played as many or more games than Varly this seaon that have higher sv% and only 3 that have lower sv%. Varly is the 10th highest paid goalie in the league.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We can go after this again at the end of the season. Varly doesn't look average to me and will likely end below average. You could eliminate bad games and make Dan Cloutier like a good goalie. If you are taking out the Vegas game, you might as well take out his shutout or the Carolina game... it doesn't make sense to exclude.

We can go further back too... Since Varly came to the Avs, he has played 307 games. So setting the filter to 300 games from 11-12 until now, Varly ranks 15th out of 17 (though with a .915 save percentage). Only Niemi and Lehtonen are worse in those numbers. Then you take out Varly's godmode 13-14, the .915 drops to .912 which is only .001 above Lehtonen and Niemi. Varly has had one amazing season and one solid season... the rest of his career, he has been below average. I see that and I think his good years are an anomaly more than reality. Just like Duchene's PPG seasons, they were his peak and he isn't that player.
Varly is in the midst of his 7th season here... only one of those was he one of the best in the NHL. I'm just calling a spade, a spade.

I agree, it would be more fair to judge his performance after the season.

A shutout doesn’t have the same positive effect, as that 7 goal game did negatively though. If it did, Varly would have the same same percentage if you took out both.

Instead, if you take out both the Vegas game, and the Boston shutout, his save percentage still goes up to .9094. Just a hair away from the .910-.915 you were asking for. And still only with an 18 game sample size.

In regard to judging his save percentage since 11-12 with a 300 game filter, you eliminate some of the variables, but not all of them. You still have the key problem of judging a goaltender on a bad team based on his numbers.

I would bet if you average the regular season standings for each team those goaltenders played for during that time, Varly’s Avs would either be dead last, or among the last few by a long shot.

He’s 14th out of 17th in terms of wins per games played among those goalies you mentioned , but that’s an individual stat, and doesn't tell the whole story either in terms of how good the teams in front of him were, given how many games he stole for the Avs in 2013-14.

It's fine if you don't agree that playing for a bad team has an effect on a goalies numbers, but there's no disputing that the team Varly has had in front of him during that time is either the worst, or among the worst of all the goalies you're comparing him to.

So if it does have an effect, it's affecting him more than any other goaltender.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
And if you take out the shutout, he has a sv% of .900 and GAA of 3.33. Cherry picking can work both ways.

If you take out both "outlier" games, he has a 3.10GAA and .909sv% (the bad game was worse than the shutout was good as far as the numbers).

Varly has been better than Bernier, and better than he was last year. But he has not been worth $5.5M....get paid that much as a netminder, you are expected to have more games that you stand on your head than you do stinkers.

And this season, as of right now, the Avs are mid-pack as far as shots allowed per game. Exactly mid-pack...16th.

Why would it be fair to take out the shutout, but not the 7 goal game against Vegas? That's compounding the problem, not helping it.

See my post above in regard to the shutout vs the Vegas game. They don't wash each other out, and taking out both puts his save percentage .0001 away from the requested .910-915.

Shots allowed this year doesn't tell the whole story either. Bednar's system is like the antithesis of Roy's. Roy gave up more shots by pushing them to the outside, while Bednar gives up less overall, but both have a ton of grade A chances allowed because the team still has lots of mental mistakes and breakdowns.

That's how you give up goals, and lose games.

Last edited:

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
According to https://www.naturalstattrick.com/te...=all&loc=B&gpf=82&fd=2017-09-13&td=2018-04-07 , there are 23 teams that allow a higher rate of High Danger Chances Against. And honestly, that matches the eye test. There are also 19 teams that allow more Scoring Chances / 60 than the Avs.

So comparatively, Varly is seeing fewer high danger chances than other goalies that have better save percentages.

Incidentally, of all goalies with 1000+minutes this year, Varly has the worst sv% on high danger shots, at 70.16%. The top ten are all above 82%. He is also second worst at low danger shots, at 95.96% (top 10 is above 98%). It is not all bad, though...lights out actually: #1 for medium danger shots (96.14%, rest of top 10 is above 92%). Corsica | Goalie Stats

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
According to Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick , there are 23 teams that allow a higher rate of High Danger Chances Against. And honestly, that matches the eye test. There are also 19 teams that allow more Scoring Chances / 60 than the Avs.

So comparatively, Varly is seeing fewer high danger chances than other goalies that have better save percentages.

Incidentally, of all goalies with 1000+minutes this year, Varly has the worst sv% on high danger shots, at 70.16%. The top ten are all above 82%. He is also second worst at low danger shots, at 95.96% (top 10 is above 98%). It is not all bad, though...lights out actually: #1 for medium danger shots (96.14%, rest of top 10 is above 92%). Corsica | Goalie Stats

To be perfectly honest, I don't trust the accuracy of those numbers whatsoever. I don't know how they're getting their numbers, but if they're tracking those scoring chances from NHL game sheets, they don't realize the shot location on those things are wrong all the time. You got to do it manually with your eyes to get any kind of accurate number.

They've got four of the worst teams in the league in their top 9. Boston's 20th in the league, Montreal's 23rd, Carolina's 25th, and Buffalo's 30th, but they're 5th, 6h, 9th, and 7th in scoring chances against on that list. That just doesn't make any sense.

The obvious proof is they have the Avs as the 7th best team in the league last year in scoring chances/60. They've also got Philly, Carolina, and Florida last year 5th, 6th, and 8th, and none of those teams were even close to making the playoffs.

There's absolutely no way that is accurate with how bad those teams were last season, especially the Avs.

We all saw how bad they were last year. They finished with 21 fewer points than any other team in the league, and had the worst season points wise in like 20+ years or something. How could they possibly be the 7th best team in scoring chances against?

Reactions: StayAtHomeAv

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I said people wouldn't be giving him flack at .910-.915. He'd be getting the benefit of the doubt. A .910 is still below average in the NHL.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Boston's 20th in the league, Montreal's 23rd, Carolina's 25th, and Buffalo's 30th, but they're 5th, 6h, 9th, and 7th in scoring chances against on that list. That just doesn't make any sense.

Only 5 teams have given up fewer goals than Boston, with a team sv% of .908 so not stellar. Sounds like solid D to me. The other 3 have team sv% of below .900, which means they are getting as bad as (MTL) or worse goal-tending than the Avs. Hell, Boston and Carolina are #1 and #2 in SOG Against so far this season (#1 and #5 SA/G). Those 4 are also in the bottom 11 for GF/60. And for BOS, they have also played the fewest games of any team at this point (as far as them being 20th...as many as 5 games in hand on teams ahead of them might make a difference). Cannot judge a team's ability to suppress scoring chances on where they sit in the standings. Other factors go into record...like how well the goalie stops shots, and how well the skaters score. Both of which were epic-level bad last year... 2 goals per game of offense, and .894sv%. The defense was the least bad of those 3 areas last year. It was not good by any stretch, but it was not as bad as the offense or goal-tending.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Only 5 teams have given up fewer goals than Boston, with a team sv% of .908 so not stellar. Sounds like solid D to me. The other 3 have team sv% of below .900, which means they are getting as bad as (MTL) or worse goal-tending than the Avs. Hell, Boston and Carolina are #1 and #2 in SOG Against so far this season (#1 and #5 SA/G). Those 4 are also in the bottom 11 for GF/60. And for BOS, they have also played the fewest games of any team at this point (as far as them being 20th...as many as 5 games in hand on teams ahead of them might make a difference). Cannot judge a team's ability to suppress scoring chances on where they sit in the standings. Other factors go into record...like how well the goalie stops shots, and how well the skaters score. Both of which were epic-level bad last year... 2 goals per game of offense, and .894sv%. The defense was the least bad of those 3 areas last year. It was not good by any stretch, but it was not as bad as the offense or goal-tending.

The games in hand wouldn't be an issue though since those were /60 numbers.

The part that I can't get beyond is that the Avs were as terrible as we all saw last year, had 21 fewer points than any team, gave up the most goals against as any team in the league, and yet they were 7th in scoring chances against/60 on that website. 3rd in the West.

I just can't square that in my head. I don't see how any other factors could make up that difference in standings, goals against, and scoring chances against.

I don't think their scoring chance locations are accurate, but I'm not saying that's at all your fault.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I said people wouldn't be giving him flack at .910-.915. He'd be getting the benefit of the doubt. A .910 is still below average in the NHL.

I understand. I don't think .910 is a great save percentage either. Neither is .915 really, it's kinda average.

My point all along though was that save percentage gets skewed on bad teams unless you are facing a ton of shots.

Lets say you have two goaltenders that you know for a fact are just as good as each other. One goaltender plays for a good team, while the other plays for a bad team. They each face 10 shots per period every single night.

Lets say the goaltender on the good team faces 1-2 grade A chances on those 10 shots, while the other goaltender on the bad team faces 3-4 grade A chances. The goaltender on the bad team is very likely to have a worse save percentage. Even if they are just as good as each other.

A version of that scenario plays out more nights than not, over the course of 82 games. Especially when we talk about a team that has been as bad defensively and mistake prone as the Avs during Varly's tenure.

He's been asked to make more high quality saves, but save percentage doesn't factor that it, it only factors in shots and saves.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Then explain Bobrovsky. They have been roughly the same quality of team as Colorado, but leads the NHL in save percentage since he got to Columbus. Cory Schneider has played on horrendous teams since leaving Vancouver... also better than Varly. Even Steve Mason has put up more solid numbers. Varly has one big outlier year in his whole career. Beyond that he hasn't been anything special. Yeah he has dealt with injuries (and I believe that plays into him being below average now), and the team in front of him hasn't been the best... he still needs to perform up to par, and he hasn't come close to it. And I could make an argument that his numbers were skewed up in his career year. Don't get me wrong, he was still great... I just won't assume he is a .927 quality goalie because of that season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I mean that's essentially the same argument as just save percentage in general that we've been talking about right?

I know it's just a blog post, but I don't think they thought things out particularly well. They're including AHL data for the goalies for some reason. That's going to throw everything off.

I'd also point out this tidbit they mentioned in their preface:

"Oh, and no, this does not factor in shot quality factors, like shot location or even manpower situation. It doesn't include the shootout, or any fancy metrics. It's just straight-up save percentage, with all its strengths and shortcomings."

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Then explain Bobrovsky. They have been roughly the same quality of team as Colorado, but leads the NHL in save percentage since he got to Columbus. Cory Schneider has played on horrendous teams since leaving Vancouver... also better than Varly. Even Steve Mason has put up more solid numbers. Varly has one big outlier year in his whole career. Beyond that he hasn't been anything special. Yeah he has dealt with injuries (and I believe that plays into him being below average now), and the team in front of him hasn't been the best... he still needs to perform up to par, and he hasn't come close to it. And I could make an argument that his numbers were skewed up in his career year. Don't get me wrong, he was still great... I just won't assume he is a .927 quality goalie because of that season.
That actually almost made spit out my drink from shock.

Lmao 31st.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

That's interesting, lets look at that. There's quite a few reasons I would cite for the difference.

I think Varly and Bob are at roughly the same level when both are on their game first of all. I think Varly has been more inconsistent, and some of that (not all) has to due with playing through more injuries.

I think also, overall Columbus has utilized a more defensive oriented system than the Avs have for a while now, and Bob has had a much better team in front of him in general, especially last year and this year.

The Avs have not really utilized a defensive oriented system in 15 years since Hartley left. They've utilized more of an offensive oriented system. Tried to outscore their mistakes. This is not how Columbus has played for the most part. It's not how most teams play really, the Avs have under appreciated defense for a long time. So I would take issue with saying Varly and Bob have had similar teams playing in front of them.

Cory Schneider is one of the best goalies in the league, and I would say is definitely better overall than Varly. Though at their peak performance, I don't think there's much difference. Schneider's teams have also not been nearly as bad as Varly’s. In fact, he has had the best team in front of him on average of the four you listed. I’ll show that later.

Mason has both had a better team in front of him, and has a worse save percentage than Varly since 2011-12, so he’s not a great example for your argument.

Admittedly it doesn’t tell the whole story, but Varly’s shots per minute played is much higher than any of those goaltenders. This is using the same 2011-12 period representing Varly’s time with the Avs.

Schneider - .489
Bob - .508
Mason - .510
Varly - .535

Again, not totally accurate, but here is what their shot totals would look like if you use their average over the course of the same minutes Varly has.

Schneider - 8608
Bob - 8943
Mason - 8978
Varly - 9418

Then lets look at the average regular season finish for each team the goaltender played for since 2011-12 like I talked about earlier. Again, doesn’t tell the whole story, but gives you an idea of how good the team in front of each goalie was.

Mason played for both Philly and Columbus in 2012-13, so I used the average of their 17th and 20th place finish.

Average team finish since 2011-12:

Schneider - 16th
Bob - 14th
Mason - 18th
Varly - 21st

Not so coincidentally IMO, their rankings almost mirror the rankings for shots per minute.

It’s also worth noting that Varly stealing his team wins to 3rd overall in 2013-14, probably skews his team average higher, and influences it more than any of the other goaltenders season totals.

I totally agree that his 2013-14 numbers were an outlier. He played out of his mind that year, and faced a ton of shots.

To me his most representative season was 2014-15, where he came back down to earth a bit, but was still healthy. He was good, but not good enough to make up for the team’s problems. He had a .921 save percentage that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad