Rumor: Zadina for Brannstrom

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If Yzerman and Dorion are actually talking, I'm rooting for this to transform into a framework of Zadina and Hronek for Brannstrom and Josh Norris. :D

img_2044.jpg

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
I'm a decent forward and if my beer league experience translate to the NHL then large D are way harder to get around, haha.

One guy played D1 defense and looks like Getzlaff. Impossible to get around. Long reach and crazy strong. Small guys I just cut in on and protect the puck to the outside.

Reactions: Henkka

BillyCostigan

Nov 9, 2021
Brannstrom has been great in the last few games, and played like the player he was drafted to be last game. Dominant game offensively with a few defensive mistakes.

Hard to believe the Sens would move him now that he's showing what he's able to do. But if they do trade him for Zadina, Wings win the trade hands down.

Wings need offense and that's what Brannstrom provides, I see him having success here if it happens.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
90% of this board:

"Brannstrom--too small!! no way!! Yzerman hates small defensemen!! We'll never trade for him."

(switch threads)

"Hronek's point totals are amaing!! He's so young!! He leads the team in ice time!! No way Yzerman trades him!!"
Hronek is bigger than Brännström and an established NHLer. Brännström has bounced around and failed to stick in the NHL for years.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Brannstrom has been great in the last few games, and played like the player he was drafted to be last game. Dominant game offensively with a few defensive mistakes.

Hard to believe the Sens would move him now that he's showing what he's able to do. But if they do trade him for Zadina, Wings win the trade hands down.

Wings need offense and that's what Brannstrom provides, I see him having success here if it happens.

I've heard suppositions that Ottawa's coach doesn't like him and that's been a lot of the source of him getting jerked around. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I think he's being showcased.

Reactions: BillyCostigan

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I always wanted to see Zadina play a year under a new coach to see if that would make a difference. I’m not a new coach is even on the radar at the moment. It seems to me we made a sniper from the junior ranks into a defensive forward in the NHL.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Don’t think it would be a favourable trade for the wings if this was to be done.

I’m not overly high on Zadina, but I still think he can very easily be a 20/30 player who plays a solid 2 way game.
I know most were hoping for him to be a 30/30 guy

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I’d rather keep zadina.

also, brannstrom is at his best as a right D which doesn’t fit our needs

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I’d rather keep zadina.

also, brannstrom is at his best as a right D which doesn’t fit our needs

It depends on the bigger moves at hand.

I don’t think Zadina for Brannstrom straight up is a worthwhile move. If the two were pieces in a larger trade for each other then yes.

Who on this roster would Detroit want? Which ones are on the trade block because Melnyk is cheap?

Ottawa Senators Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
There is a very well written Brannstrom thread in National Hockey Legue talk on this site. It explains why Brann has faultered and he prefers and excels at RD.

Unless we are getting rid of Hronek there is no reason to acquire Brannstrom.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
this is kinda what I mean in a way, people acting like there's only one way to build a team just because Yzerman has a personal preference

smaller players have advantages too, agility for example

there's a reason "skates well for his size" is a term thrown around a lot, and while there's some big guys that are more in the "skates well period" category you won't find any 6'5" guys that skate quite like the likes of Makar or Hughes
The last 3 Stanley Cup champions, have had a massive d-corps. Tampa's defense we all know very well already, and here's the 2019 Stl Blues defense:
Pietrangelo 6'3'' - Bouwmeester 6'4''
Dunn 6'0'' - Parayko 6'6''
Edmundson 6'4'' - Bortuzzo 6'4''
Gunnarsson 6'2''

And agility doesn't help much when Ovy/Drai/Barkov/Rantanen/Wilson runs through you. And it's only gets worse in long playoff series.

Obviously Yzerman would like to have big and mobile d-men, but he did acquire Coburn, Girardi and Sustr when he was in Tampa and Staal in Detroit. Those players are far from "skates well for his size"-category, in Yzerman's team building philosophy size, reach, wingspan trumps speed and agility. Makar is a special player, im sure in his case Yzerman would make an exception but there ain't players like Makar available. Red Wings passed Hughes, they were going to take Bouchard who was 6'2'' at the time, if i remember correctly, before Zadina felled to our lap. Holland was running the draft back, and Kenny was never a size-queen.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I guess we'll see? It sounds like Sens fans would not be very happy if this actually happened. But it also sounds like the Sens organization has some weird dislike for Brannstrom's game, which is weird because they're the ones who traded for him.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Back when I played I preferred LD as a righty...How many guys out there in the NHL today play the off side?

EDIT - To answer my own question...Defensemen in NHL Playing on Their Off Side

I found it harder to play actual defense in my zone as a RHD playing on the off-side. Offensively it was pretty cool, little easier to let my shot go but for sure was harder to play the boards almost always. I mostly used my body to force an inside move but when I had to actually play the puck off the boards I just noticed it not as crisp is all I'd say.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
As far as the trade. I'm gonna pass just cause I think we've got 1 guy for sure on the door to play next year but possibly 2 or 3 more even. Without a signing or trade. Trading for or signing anyone needs to be a legitimate top pairing type of defense. Not another lower end with middle pair potential guy. We've got a stack of those guys.

Package Zadina up with a little more in a trade and go get something a little more special.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
With Zadina, he's having good shifts and his production has been at least good enough to play bottom six somewhere in the NHL. Although I'm being slightly optimistic (it could turn out to be just bottom three), he looks like he belongs in the league in some capacity.

I don't think Brannstrom has proven something similar this season. Until he does, I wouldn't entertain one-for-one.

The Sens need to play him until we see whether he deserves to be in the NHL or not. It might take two games for him to show it, or it might take 10 games for us to see he's not looking good, but we need to see more from him. Unless they are able to sweeten the deal.

Reactions: 14ari13

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The last 3 Stanley Cup champions, have had a massive d-corps. Tampa's defense we all know very well already, and here's the 2019 Stl Blues defense:
Pietrangelo 6'3'' - Bouwmeester 6'4''
Dunn 6'0'' - Parayko 6'6''
Edmundson 6'4'' - Bortuzzo 6'4''
Gunnarsson 6'2''

And agility doesn't help much when Ovy/Drai/Barkov/Rantanen/Wilson runs through you. And it's only gets worse in long playoff series.

Obviously Yzerman would like to have big and mobile d-men, but he did acquire Coburn, Girardi and Sustr when he was in Tampa and Staal in Detroit. Those players are far from "skates well for his size"-category, in Yzerman's team building philosophy size, reach, wingspan trumps speed and agility. Makar is a special player, im sure in his case Yzerman would make an exception but there ain't players like Makar available. Red Wings passed Hughes, they were going to take Bouchard who was 6'2'' at the time, if i remember correctly, before Zadina felled to our lap. Holland was running the draft back, and Kenny was never a size-queen.
Raz?

Regula and Barton are 6'4" and 6'3", Stekov is 6'7". He did have an exception for PMDs, Cholo and Hronek aren't huge but most of his D picks were 6'2 - 6'4" range.

As for this trade, I'd do it. Then give him some ice time and try to flip him next season. Zadina and Brann both needs a change of scenery. Giving up a third line winger for a (potential) second pair D is a no brainer.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Zadina is an every day player, Brannstrom is not. So, this can't be one-for-one. And I'm not a big believer in Zadina, I'm just saying. We're not even getting to see Brannstrom play.

The only way I can see it one-for-one is if you just feel like, no matter what, you don't want to give Zadina his next contract. Then it's get rid of him at all costs.

Personally, I wouldn't like giving Zadina more than a one-year deal at this point and only if it comes down to not being able to trade him. But I don't feel like we need to get rid of him at all costs.

roman star

ready to march
Feb 17, 2019
newfy whose usually like bob mckenzie went eklund on us here with this huuuuuuuuge reach :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad