Rumor: Zadina for Brannstrom

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Theres all kinds of tweets on Sens twitter talking about a possible Zadina for Brannstrom trade. This tweet seems to kinda be the origin of it all. What would people think?

I think Zadina is better than his numbers, and I did think Brannstrom was a little overrated post draft. BUT I will say, this is the type of high reward change of scenery tht I would be fine with if Zadina was getting moved. Detroit doesnt really have a sterotypical PP QB/puck mover and Brannstrom is that type of guy. Hes pretty small though and Yzerman doesnt usually have small dmen.

Reactions: DetroitRed

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Is it Zadina's name being mentioned by the media or was that your idea?

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Brannstrom is 5'10" and Detroit has a GM who has consistently avoided defensemen of his height. Perhaps Brannstrom is the exception, but there doesn't seem to be an obvious connection here.

Reactions: Henkka and Gniwder

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Is it Zadina's name being mentioned by the media or was that your idea?

Honestly its all over sens twitter about Zadina for Brannstrom, not sure where exactly it came from but I think that might be the source of the rumour. So might actually be nothing but where theres smoke theres fire and apparently Detroit has been calling

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Don't think Yzerman moves Zadina for a D prospect when we have two or three better prospects who won't cost us anything, on the way next year or the year after.

Reactions: 14ari13

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
honestly wouldnt mind the trade both need a change of scenery (or are just bad) but the size doesnt fit Yzermans mold of D-men

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Honestly its all over sens twitter about Zadina for Brannstrom, not sure where exactly it came from but I think that might be the source of the rumour. So might actually be nothing but where theres smoke theres fire and apparently Detroit has been calling

Why do I feel like Zadina is too much? Hehe.

Reactions: David D

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Juolevi like trade where 2 prospects gets a change of scenery might help. Yes.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Brannstrom is still beneath 82 NHL games for his career (67 games) and he was good last season. So, considering what few NHL games he has played this season (4), I'm surprised by how soon Ottawa is giving up on him.

The flip side to that is we don't have a large sample size from Brannstrom this season to base our decision on.

That said, same age.

I'm not going to say I'm for or against it yet. But I will say that if I was Detroit, I would not rush it. The trade deadline is not until March 21st, so I would tell Ottawa to play him and let us take a look at him.

I feel like Zadina has at least shown this season that he's still capable of cracking an NHL lineup. We need to see the same from Brannstrom. Give him a little stretch of regular play and let's see.

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
No thanks on Brannstrom he's a 5'10" LD but can play RD Yzerman wants bigger Dmen and besides Zadina by himself is worth more then just Brannstrom alone Ottawa would need to add. Our smallest Dmen Hronek Johansson down the road are 6'0" that's the smallest Yzerman goes. Detroit has no use for Brannstron i like what we have in our pipeline better.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I gotta say I really hate how Yzerman has the fanbase parroting his size queen stuff

as for the trade idea I don't think it's an awful idea in a vacuum but I really don't like the idea of the Wings trading a Forward for another D right now, the Wings pipeline is just so lacking there comparatively

Oct 18, 2006
Brannstrom was hyped so much around the time he was traded from Vegas. Hasn’t come close to living up to it. I’d be hesitant.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I gotta say I really hate how Yzerman has the fanbase parroting his size queen stuff
It's simple physics. Big d-men have longer reach, wider wingspan and they usually have more strength, therefore they cover more ground, cut passing lanes more easily and they are just much harder to play against. Small d-men is always in trouble with the big forwards and the league is filled with them, big d-men in the other hand have no problem dealing with the big forwards. Defensemans number one job is to defend and if he can generate any offense it's a plus, but if he can do both while being 6'5'' is win-win situation.

Yzerman knows this through he's own experience. He was a small forward and he played against guys like Scott Stevens, Chris Pronger, Adam Foote, Ken Daneyko etc... in long playoffs series, and he knows just how hard is to beat those kind of players. Small forwards can make it in this league, but small d-men are always a defensive vulnerability. Unless they play like Konstantinov and Kasparaitis, but how many of those have there been?

blueadams

May 30, 2011
90% of this board:

"Brannstrom--too small!! no way!! Yzerman hates small defensemen!! We'll never trade for him."

(switch threads)

"Hronek's point totals are amaing!! He's so young!! He leads the team in ice time!! No way Yzerman trades him!!"

Reactions: jkutswings

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
It's simple physics. Big d-men have longer reach, wider wingspan and they usually have more strength, therefore they cover more ground, cut passing lanes more easily and they are just much harder to play against. Small d-men is always in trouble with the big forwards and the league is filled with them, big d-men in the other hand have no problem dealing with the big forwards. Defensemans number one job is to defend and if he can generate any offense it's a plus, but if he can do both while being 6'5'' is win-win situation.

Yzerman knows this through he's own experience. He was a small forward and he played against guys like Scott Stevens, Chris Pronger, Adam Foote, Ken Daneyko etc... in long playoffs series, and he knows just how hard is to beat those kind of players. Small forwards can make it in this league, but small d-men are always a defensive vulnerability. Unless they play like Konstantinov and Kasparaitis, but how many of those have there been?

this is kinda what I mean in a way, people acting like there's only one way to build a team just because Yzerman has a personal preference

smaller players have advantages too, agility for example

there's a reason "skates well for his size" is a term thrown around a lot, and while there's some big guys that are more in the "skates well period" category you won't find any 6'5" guys that skate quite like the likes of Makar or Hughes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad