Movies: Zack Snyder’s Director’s Cut of Justice League drops March 18th 2021

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Zack Snyder's Justice League
3.00 out of 4stars

Definitively better than the Whedon version. Everything you could honestly ask for from the Whedon version that needed fixing was filled in, polished, expanded upon, and made more thrilling. I have no complaints and thoroughly enjoyed it, even at it's 4hrs run time. Kudos to those who made this happen behind the camera and the fans.

Zach Snyder, I don't get the hate. Every director's cut of his movies show that when he's in full control that he is more than capable of creating great complete blockbuster movies. The man has visual flair and style for days, whether you like it or hate it, it works. Someone who has 300, Watchmen, Man of Steel, and even Sucker Punch on their resume has a clear eye and successful style for action and visuals. The vast majority of his movies have good reviews with fans and audiences. The man has more box office success than duds with huge production costs, albeit not all are home runs. And from everything I've read and hear about the guy with those who've worked with him or around him, he's a genuinely nice human being and not a dictator behind the camera or off camera (easy comparable to Whedon, but seriously this guy sounds like a pleasant kind soul). Lastly, compare him to his peers if you'd like for pure quality. Does anyone think the likes of a Michael Bay or non-director standard in the action genre are head and shoulders better than him at action blockbusters or could have done better with this Justice League movie and material than he accomplished with the director's cut? Anyone that would have clearly done a better job?

My only real problem, is a quality in which it's not like the marvel superhero movies . It has a completely different tone. It's not really endearing/personable, which is more of an indifferent quality. It's not trying to make you laugh, it's not young child friendly, it's not lighthearted, and most of it's characters aren't overly charismatic or strong memorable personalities. It is what it is. It's a different angle and style that was chosen, I don't believe that makes it better or worse on it's own, but without question Marvel's movies have been more successful all around likely in a large part because of this imo. Example A for my argument...Venom and it's success.

And if it is likely so, it's a worthy swan song to this saga of interconnected DC characters and their standalone stories.

I prefer the darker tone given the stakes involved...

IMO, the Marvel movies can come across a little cartoonish at times when the situation doesn't call for it...

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Nobody cares dude, nor do they care for the cringe factor in defending the initial cringe worthy post you made.

It's funny because attractiveness is subjective and a matter of personal opinion. I see a teenager and he sees an attractive model, someone else may think she's ugly etc. You're right though, defending an opinion of the attractiveness of a teenage girl, is not a sword you'd want to fall on.

Reactions: PB37

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Nice false equivalency to throw dirt on top of posting about " attractive " 12 year old girls, hunting down and sharing their pictures, and then acting like it's no big deal. Gross.
This was my initial thought as well. Not knowing the name of the actress, you would have to do a bit of leg work to even find her IMDb page. Then download the picture, come here and make a post, upload and attach the picture and the whole time not thinking it's a bit weird.

Reactions: Mantis and PB37

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
The scene I mentioned earlier with the school girl seemed so forced given the circumstances, I actually wonder if it's an Easter egg and she'll be involved in future films...

I'm not very familiar with DC characters outside of the main ones, but maybe we were seeing a young Jessica Cruz who goes on to become a Green Lantern

"Can I be like you someday?" could be an indication of what's to come and would explain the casting choice...

It's been confirmed that the boy from Iron Man 2 is a young Peter Parker...

acdlgmncfi8uwe3teofq.jpg

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I prefer the darker tone given the stakes involved...

IMO, the Marvel movies can come across a little cartoonish at times when the situation doesn't call for it...
Spoiler alert, comics are cartoons.

I'm far from a Marvel fanboy, and I think there are some great superhero movies that have a darker tone (Logan and Nolan Batman trilogy, for instance). But that darker, grittier atmosphere has to come at a balance in terms of the type of action and drama displayed in the movie. You can't go with a grimmer tone at the same time as having rock-and-roll backed action sequences of your CGI'd cyborg duking it out with space aliens. You're asking for a ton of suspension of disbelief there, while still wanting the audience to feel like the movie is "grounded" in a threatening reality. It's clashing with itself.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

I'm far from a Marvel fanboy, and I think there are some great superhero movies that have a darker tone (Logan and Nolan Batman trilogy, for instance). But that darker, grittier atmosphere has to come at a balance in terms of the type of action and drama displayed in the movie. You can't go with a grimmer tone at the same time as having rock-and-roll backed action sequences of your CGI'd cyborg duking it out with space aliens. You're asking for a ton of suspension of disbelief there, while still wanting the audience to feel like the movie is "grounded" in a threatening reality. It's clashing with itself.

There are a lot of critics that openly point point out that the whole concept of superheroes is one that shouldn't be taken too seriously and that they understand that in the source materials on both Marvel and DC. When it comes to live action, Marvel has stuck to the source material better than DC. In some cases they even downplayed it. Spider-Man yaps constantly during fights in comics. Not so much in films.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stylizer1

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Time for politics! I don't necessarily disagree about the marvel/DC superhero thing, but a big reason why those are what "comics" are because conservative groups and politicians nearly killed the industry in the 50's and child friendly stuff like super hero's was all that was left.

Senate1954.jpg

It's not really my thing but there's no reason why comic's can't be more what Snyder/Nolan and their fans are in to.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Time for politics! I don't necessarily disagree about the marvel/DC superhero thing, but a big reason why those are what "comics" are because conservative groups and politicians nearly killed the industry in the 50's and child friendly stuff like super hero's was all that was left.

Senate1954.jpg

It's not really my thing but there's no reason why comic's can't be more what Snyder/Nolan and their fans are in to.

That doesn't really come into play with my point. Whether or not comics are dealing with more adult content doesn't change that they are cartoons, and doesn't change the mismatch in tone between gritty realism and fantastic action. Pick one or the other, don't try and blend both.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
A darker tone and more realism works for Batman because he's not really a superhero. He's just a regular hero with a costume, custom vehicles and proprietary gadgets. The vehicles and gadgets are analogous to superhero powers, but they're generally realistic and versions of stuff that we have in our world. It's a lot harder to get away with a gritty, realistic tone when the superhero's powers include flying with only a cape (or even no cape) and shooting lasers out of his or her eyes. The realistic and the fantastic clash, so it makes sense to have a lighter tone with true superheroes, though there's also a danger of going too far in that direction and having it feel like a cartoon.

Last edited:

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
This movie is definitely an improvement over the original. With that being said, DC should let Marvel produce and direct all their movies.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
A darker tone and more realism works for Batman because he's not really a superhero. He's just a regular hero with a costume, custom vehicles and proprietary gadgets. The vehicles and gadgets are analogous to superhero powers, but they're generally realistic and versions of stuff that we have in our world. It's a lot harder to get away with a gritty, realistic tone when the superhero's powers include flying with only a cape (or even no cape) and shooting lasers out of his or her eyes. The realistic and the fantastic clash, so it makes sense to have a lighter tone with true superheroes, though there's also a danger of going too far in that direction and having it feel like a cartoon.

Even a character like Batman should lean more fantastical than realistic. The only thing real about Batman is that he's human and that he has money.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Even a character like Batman should lean more fantastical than realistic. The only thing real about Batman is that he's human and that he has money.

I don't agree. I'm not much of a superhero fan and he's my favorite because he's the most realistic. It's not just that he's human and has money. Spiderman is human, as well. It's that he relies on intellect and believable equipment (like the Batline), not superpowers (like spider webbing). On top of that, his foes are generally the same way.

Now, obviously, compared to something like Death Wish, Batman is fantastical. Tim Burton's and Christopher Nolan's versions of Batman are both fantasy, Burton's even more than Nolan's, and I prefer Burton's. A little fantasy is good and necessary. If Burton's and Nolan's Batmans are what you mean by "more fantastical," then we actually agree. It's just that I call that "realistic" when compared to most other superheroes, who can fly, shoot lasers from their eyes and such.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The scene I mentioned earlier with the school girl seemed so forced given the circumstances, I actually wonder if it's an Easter egg and she'll be involved in future films...

I'm not very familiar with DC characters outside of the main ones, but maybe we were seeing a young Jessica Cruz who goes on to become a Green Lantern

"Can I be like you someday?" could be an indication of what's to come and would explain the casting choice...

It's been confirmed that the boy from Iron Man 2 is a young Peter Parker...

acdlgmncfi8uwe3teofq.jpg

That was pretty much retconned IMO. They didn't know at the time that they'd be able to bring Spiderman into the MCU. It just ended up being a convenient amount of time between IM2 & CW that Parker would be a a teenager.

As for the actual movie..... great job by Snyder. For a four hour movie I was into it the whole time, it was nice that they actually explained the other characters as I know a lot of people who were like "whos this cyborg guy?" first time around.

The rich guy quotes from Batman were nice drops of humor.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Lol. Realism. It's a story about a billionaire who dresses up as a bat to fight crime

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
There are a lot of critics that openly point point out that the whole concept of superheroes is one that shouldn't be taken too seriously and that they understand that in the source materials on both Marvel and DC. When it comes to live action, Marvel has stuck to the source material better than DC. In some cases they even downplayed it. Spider-Man yaps constantly during fights in comics. Not so much in films.
That's why we love Holland above every other spidey shown on film lol.

His constant yapping is entertaining as hell.

Reactions: Jussi

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
So, when I watched the original, one of the school girls was really noticeable in the bank terrorist scene... she didn't have any lines, but she's a very pretty girl who the camera focused on multiple times

Well, in the Snyder cut she's the one that asks Diana "Can I be like you someday?"

It really bothers me that even these insignificant roles are being cast with actresses who look like models...
MV5BMWU1MTBkODktNDI3My00YTU0LWExOTUtNmM5YzdjZTEyMDRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM4MTY0ODU@._V1_.jpg
Why does that bother you?

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I don't agree. I'm not much of a superhero fan and he's my favorite because he's the most realistic. It's not just that he's human and has money. Spiderman is human, as well. It's that he relies on intellect and believable equipment (like the Batline), not superpowers (like spider webbing). On top of that, his foes are generally the same way.

Now, obviously, compared to something like Death Wish, Batman is fantastical. Tim Burton's and Christopher Nolan's versions of Batman are both fantasy, Burton's even more than Nolan's, and I prefer Burton's. A little fantasy is good and necessary. If Burton's and Nolan's Batmans are what you mean by "more fantastical," then we actually agree. It's just that I call that "realistic" when compared to most other superheroes, who can fly, shoot lasers from their eyes and such.
I agree with you about Batman being more realistic than most superheroes. I'd say The Punisher is the most realistic tho.

Reactions: Osprey

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I talked a lot of crap on this during the massive hype. I think its probably going to be lame, but I’ll still watch it to see what it’s all about.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Lol. Realism. It's a story about a billionaire who dresses up as a bat to fight crime

I said more realism and what we're talking about is obviously relative, which I made clear in my following post. Please read the whole conversation.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
That Barry Allen monologue near the end was one of the cringiest things I've seen on film this decade. Some really poor editing in this film as well which is why scenes are supposed to be deleted. I liked the action scenes mostly but they feel below the standard, bring on the Robert Pattinson Batman it has to be better than this.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'm on my 7th rewatch, and checking out the grey version for the 1st time. So far, I'm not a fan of it... i prefer color to black and white and i think for a film like this, it takes some of the steam away from it's stunning visuals.

I think this beats out Watchmen as my favorite super hero movie of all time.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad