Zack Smith extension?? Yay or nay??

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Calling them secondary players has nothing to do with this season.

Phaneuf is a 2nd pairing dman for us.

Ryan is behind Turris and Ryan without a doubt. Then he's on par or up to debate with Hoffman and Brassard. Thats secondary.

just because they are on the 2nd line doesnt make them secondary, teams balance offence all the time

turris and brassard are really close so saying 1 is secondary makes no sense unless you have a very fine line definition lol

Ryan is playing hard and producing and as of right now is on pace for his best season since 2011. He is getting top pp minutes for a reason and as of right now (small sample size i know) been playing as a primary player. I dont see how there is this limit on primary guys and how ryan has earned the hate this early lol especially since he has started the season really well

getting back to smith using ryan as a reference if people are hating on ryan for producing just because of his contract and potential future downfall then why the **** are we even considering resigning smith. Ryan has been a consistent .68 ppg in ottawa, smith has only seen his rise recently and could see the downfall when we get healthy or when our young guys come up yet we are willing to give him 4 years?

I am down to hate on players, in fact i do it a lot lol but you have to let the players play now dictate it not last year or the 'future'

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
just because they are on the 2nd line doesnt make them secondary, teams balance offence all the time

turris and brassard are really close so saying 1 is secondary makes no sense unless you have a very fine line definition lol

Ryan is playing hard and producing and as of right now is on pace for his best season since 2011. He is getting top pp minutes for a reason and as of right now (small sample size i know) been playing as a primary player. I dont see how there is this limit on primary guys and how ryan has earned the hate this early lol especially since he has started the season really well

getting back to smith using ryan as a reference if people are hating on ryan for producing just because of his contract and potential future downfall then why the **** are we even considering resigning smith. Ryan has been a consistent .68 ppg in ottawa, smith has only seen his rise recently and could see the downfall when we get healthy or when our young guys come up yet we are willing to give him 4 years?

I am down to hate on players, in fact i do it a lot lol but you have to let the players play now dictate it not last year or the 'future'

Im going by TOI. Not arbitrary line numbers.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Depends on the numbers. 3 years would be my max years. 2.5mil would be my max salary.

If Smith plays the way he did last year, or close to it, he's worth more then that, this team will miss him a lot if they miss him. Guy is an ideal 3rd line winger, but can play in the top 6 without looking out of place. Also brings a lot of jam up front that this team lacks.

If he's willing to take under four years and 3.5 per I sign him.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Or dump him at the trade deadline if we're out of it and he has his value high.

Good asset management, he'll likely be expensive.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
If Smith plays the way he did last year, or close to it, he's worth more then that, this team will miss him a lot if they miss him. Guy is an ideal 3rd line winger, but can play in the top 6 without looking out of place. Also brings a lot of jam up front that this team lacks.

If he's willing to take under four years and 3.5 per I sign him.

I just don't see a long peak from Smith. I think its more likely to regret signing Smith than for it to be worth it.

Thats why I say max 3 years. Though I guess my salary was a bit too low. Front loaded with 4mil -> 3.5mil -> 2.5mil would be 3.333mil cap hit.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I'm of the opinion it's stupid to spend significant money on your 3,4,5,6 wingers long term.

You sign Smith 4x4
Now your spending 16 million dollars on Ryan, MacArthur, and Smith the next three years.

You could buy 60 goals 150Pts for 10million and use the left over coin to improve the blueline.

The 3,4,5,6 winger positions are the easiest to fill with cheap talent in hockey. If the teams good at drafting this is where we want the offensive prospects to break in to.

It's already bad, no need to clutter it even more by signing Smith

Trade him for futures

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'm of the opinion it's stupid to spend significant money on your 3,4,5,6 wingers long term.

You sign Smith 4x4
Now your spending 16 million dollars on Ryan, MacArthur, and Smith the next three years.

You could buy 60 goals 150Pts for 10million and use the left over coin to improve the blueline.

The 3,4,5,6 winger positions are the easiest to fill with cheap talent in hockey. If the teams good at drafting this is where we want the offensive prospects to break in to.

It's already bad, no need to clutter it even more by signing Smith

Trade him for futures

Great post. Completely agree.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
This is a big pass for me. It's one of the reasons I don't want to see us waive and lose Puempel. This is the classic trap signing where you sign a guy during a very brief and opportunistic peak in production, only to over pay badly.

With Brown and White pushing their way into the bottom 6 over the next few years, I think this will move guys like Paul and Lazar to the wing permanently, and perhaps even Pageau, and then there are guys like Puempel, Lazar and Paul there to play solid two-way forwards with some scoring in the top 6 in a pinch.

I'd rather pass on paying Smith anything more than $2M+.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I would give him 3 yrs 10 mil and be thrilled about it. I don't see any scenario where Smith is less than a 12+ goal, really solid and physical 3rd liner. That type of player is always useful, and, if he is surpassed, he can always be traded.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Stone and Turris arent core guy to you? They are to me.

Their contract are up next season, they are probably going to get significant raise. We have to keep that in mind and i'm sure management already has that in mind.

The reality is that Ryan and Phaneuf are probably not going anywhere for now, so they have to take important decision regarding who they should keep or let go.

Smith might be one of them. I like Smith, i hope we sign him if he continue to play well. But i rather let him go and keep Turris and/or Stone. Best world, we are able to sign all player and we have no bad contract. But that's not our reality, unfortunately

Not in my book, not yet.

Stone definitely could become a core player, but until he shows he is a game changer on a consistent basis he isn't there yet IMO.

Turris has been a solid player for the Sens, no question. However I don't see him as a core piece, more of a solid support player.

JMO

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

Think you may have missed the 4 games if you honestly believe this.

In 4 games Ryan had had 8 SOG, which gives him a 25 S% which he very likely won't sustain.

So for Ryan to come close to 30 goals the team is going to have to get a lot of PP opportunities or cash in on the opportunities at a much higher rate than 1 in 11.

5 on 5 Ryan isn't getting much in the way of good scoring opportunities and for him to do so he has to keep up with the pace and I'm not convinced he is capable of doing it.

Having 3 points after 4 games isn't terrible, but I have seen little from Ryan that encourages me to think it going to have a 30 goal season.

I will wait and hope things get better for him once the system is working seamlessly.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Don't think we can afford him if he keeps playing like he has so far.

Well if we can't afford to keep a player like Smith then there isn't much hope for this team long term.

Somehow the Sens can afford $1.8M for Neil who is the definition of a 4th grinder that is near the end, but not players that are multi-faceted and can play up and down the line-up.

Something wrong with this picture?

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
Well if we can't afford to keep a player like Smith then there isn't much hope for this team long term.

Somehow the Sens can afford $1.8M for Neil who is the definition of a 4th grinder that is near the end, but not players that are multi-faceted and can play up and down the line-up.

its called Management

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
There's no need to keep him around with the amount of quality forward prospects in the pipe. Save money to extend core players like Karlsson and Stone, don't blown your wad on replacement level players like Smith. That would be a terrible use of resources.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

I don't think anybody has an issue with paying Smith third line money.

The issue with keeping him is that he may very well put himself in a position to get the best payday of his career and be paid like a strong second liner. As mentioned previously, Beleskey got almost 4 million on a long term deal based off one 20 goal season. If Smith hits 20 goals again, along with the perception that he is a complete player, and a hardworker, he'll be set up to get between 4M-5M with term. There'll be an extra 70M+ of cap added to the league with an extra team in Vegas coming in next off season.

Teams can only pay so many players big money. Once teams commit to a player, that cap is usually locked in for good. Unless it is an elite player, these days players with term rarely are able to be traded with cap coming back. So the Senators giving Smith 4M+ over 5 years means that he's going to be one of the core guys on the team, and when it comes time to pay someone else, the Sens might not be able to.

A lot of what the Sens can do will hinge on whether MacArthur is back or if he is LTIRetired with his contract being covered by insurance. If Ottawa signs Smith to a deal like Beleskey's that will be 5 years long. During that period they'll have to give raises to Turris, Stone, Ceci, Pageau, Chabot, Karlsson, Potentially a new starter goalie (Anderson is underpaid cap wise). Cap flexibility wise they have only Turris, Methot, and Anderson as contracts guaranteed to be coming off the books and with at least two out of those three players they'd either probably want to keep them or replace them with an equivalent player who'd likely cost the same.

I'm not weighing in on whether Smith is worth 4M+. I am weighing in on why the Sens might not be smart to keep him if he's earned himself a big UFA payday.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
FYI: It's spelled "Yea", not "Yay".

"Yea" means: yes (affirmative).

"Yay" means: :vhappy:

Yay, by definition, can also be an expression of approval I think. But Yea is the proper spelling

but to the question: 100% we should resign him

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
At this point pretty much have to no? I've wanted him traded for years but now he's pretty damn valuable imo.
Neil's spot and role is much easier to fill and would probably benefit the team overall.
Just saying, because if Neil retires smith becomes even a bit more valuable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad