Zack Smith extension?? Yay or nay??

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think we extend him, as we really don't have another player in the system quite like him. He has a lot to like about his game.

I think he gets resigned for 4 years at around 2.9 to 3.2 mil per for 4 seasons.
Lets hear what you guys think??

Last edited by a moderator:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
too early to tell imo. He is going to have to have another good season or atleast half season to be resigned for a good amount

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
too early to tell imo. He is going to have to have another good season or atleast half season to be resigned for a good amount
Thats more than fair for sure,iam of the belief however Zack will keep it up .So i guess i posted this thread with a little bias:laugh:

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
I think we extend him ,as we really dont have another player in the system .Quite like him.He has alot to like about his game.

I think he gets resigned ,for 4 years at around 2.9 to 3.2 mil per for 4 seasons.
Lets here what you guys think ??

Do it. Complete steal.

Boucher said he is the perfect player and would like 3 or 4 more Zack Smiths on his team. Post game comments after the last game.

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
Naw I wouldn't, think he can be replaced. Would rather see $$$ allocated elsewhere.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Trade him for prospect/picks and use the money to buy a similar dime a dozen bottom sixer

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
dumbest move mgmt can make right now is extend smith before the year is up. I liked smith, then got annoyed with him and now I like him again. I do want him to finish this season then we can extend him based on his last few seasons of production. Do not want another Greening situation which Murray would have pulled by now.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Do it. Complete steal.

Boucher said he is the perfect player and would like 3 or 4 more Zack Smiths on his team. Post game comments after the last game.
I think so too,he is starting to look like an elite 3rd line player that can play top 6 mins in a pinch.Add in his size and toughness,and we would likely have to pay more to replace him as a UFA

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Depends on the numbers. 3 years would be my max years. 2.5mil would be my max salary.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Jamie McGinn signed for 3.33 this past summer. That's probably a fair number for Smith if you want to keep him.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
He makes 2.35 this season... 20G and someone's offering him 4x4

I hope that's not us

Came here to post this exact thing. There is no way on earth you're signing Smith to less than a 4 X 4 after he hit 25 goals last year and is playing towards 20 this year.

Not sure if it's worth it, probably not.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I get the cautious approach,but this is the reality of a cap world .There is going to be risk in whoever we sign/trade for .Can,t make decisions,based of what has happened in the past with different players.

The GM doesnt get to wait until the last min ,as cost may go up .I will say by the halfway mark ,if Smith has continued his strong play.We will resign him

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If I was him id be hitting that UFA market, the way he is skating, competing playing physical, PKing and scoring goals he could see a big pay day on the open market.

I dont think he is signing for anything less than 4.5 million.

If the sens could extend him long term at anything less than 4 id be extatic.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If I was him id be hitting that UFA market, the way he is skating, competing playing physical, PKing and scoring goals he could see a big pay day on the open market.

I dont think he is signing for anything less than 4.5 million.

If the sens could extend him long term at anything less than 4 id be extatic.
I have him at the absolute most for us at around 3.5 .That,s around the going rate for very good 3rd liners

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I have him at the absolute most for us at around 3.5 .That,s around the going rate for very good 3rd liners

He isnt playing like a third liner, and he wasnt playing like one last year either. He increased his speed dramatically by cutting weight and it has really made him a force. He is a beast on the forcheck he really plays hard, finishes all his checks you can see how much D men hate playing against him. Id like to see him play with Stone this year and see if he can continue his torrid goal scoring pace he was on last year.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He isnt playing like a third liner, and he wasnt playing like one last year either. He increased his speed dramatically by cutting weight and it has really made him a force. He is a beast on the forcheck he really plays hard, finishes all his checks you can see how much D men hate playing against him. Id like to see him play with Stone this year and see if he can continue his torrid goal scoring pace he was on last year.
For sure ,everything here is accurate.I was just of the belief that Dorion doesnt wait and goes for the resign early,and gets him at much cheaper rate .We really dont have a replacement for him ,tough as nails.And can play a very good brand of hockey ,without him our top 9 is really soft

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
For sure ,everything here is accurate.I was just of the belief that Dorion doesnt wait and goes for the resign early,and gets him at much cheaper rate .We really dont have a replacement for him ,tough as nails.And can play a very good brand of hockey ,without him our top 9 is really soft

We really can't afford to get burned again on an extension. I would be flexible on dollars but we need to max term out at 2 years

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
He definitely presents an interesting problem in terms of resigning him, and this is further compounded by the expansion draft.

Do you sign him now, possibly banking on getting him locked up now will get him at a slightly lower cost?

Maybe 3 x $3.25m?

Or, do you want until the end of the season and hope that by not signing him, he does not get taken in the expansion draft, so you are effectively protecting an extra player? But, if he goes for another 25 goals, you're looking at a 3 x $4+ contract.

But, if you sign him now, you kind of need to protect him...so I guess Lazar gets left out?

Assuming the team takes the 7-3-1 option:

Turris, Hoff, Stone, Brass, JGP, Smith, Ryan

EK, Dion, Ceci? Methot?

goalie

That seems to leave Lazar and MacArthur out in the cold up front and then one of Methot or Ceci on the back end.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We really can't afford to get burned again on an extension. I would be flexible on dollars but we need to max term out at 2 years
For him to accept that kind of term, we may really have to go overboard with the dollars .Unsure how high that would be though,4.5 to 5 mil per??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad