Prospect Info: Zach Yuen to re-enter draft - didn't get drafted, now UFA

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It takes two parties to result in a signing. Perhaps Yuen didn't want to join the Jets organization.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Maybe he wants to focus on the piano?

This is interesting for sure, and I hope we hear some sort of comment on it. Not the end of the world, but it does seem weird.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
That makes zero sense, though. You never let prospects go for nothing unless you are up against a roster/ contract limit. Doesn't matter how many D prospects you have, you don't know who is going to develop and who won't. Besides, even if you have too many, you can use them as currency to help you get some help in a weaker area.

Something strange is afoot, and I hope we find out what it is. If they just let him walk I will be pretty surprised and frankly disappointed.

Not true at all. If you feel the player has no NHL prospects, there is absolutely no reason to sign the guy. Every team releases players every single season that they feel have no NHL future NOT that they do not have room.

Yes if you have waaay too much depth in a position you trade some of that to solidify another position. But that is fairly rare.

It takes two parties to result in a signing. Perhaps Yuen didn't want to join the Jets organization.

Much MUCH more likely for an average 4th round pick like Yuen is that Jets did not choose to sign him. It is almost completely unrealistic that a non star prospect like Yuen would risk his reputation to re-enter draft.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
It is possible that Yuen is difficult and hates Winnipeg, but regardless of the 'Why.' Chevy is responsible for a busted pick.

I am curious to learn what happened.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If one team is not willing to sign him to his ELC, there's a chance no other team would want him either. Or at least not pay a pick for him. It makes plenty of sense. I don't know why some of you think something like this is so impossible. :shakehead

Not impossible at all, but you need to understand that Jet fans think all our players are worth their weight in gold. Nobody was offering anything for Yuen, and he will not be picked in the third round and probably not at all.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Anyone else hear remember Larry Courville? Taken in the 5th round in 93 by the JETS and re-entered the draft in 95 after not signing. Taken in the 3rd round by the Canucks and went on to tp play a whopping 33 games in the NHL with a grand total of 1g and 2a.

Moral of the story is Canucks wasted their 3rd rounder on a guy the JETS had deemed not good enough to develop further.

As much as I liked the Yuen pick and looked forward to seeing him develop further, I will put my faith in Chevy and the JETS scouting staff. Some other team can waste a pick on him only to find out what the JETS staff has already figured out.

NOW GET RAANTA SIGNED!!!!!!!

DK59

Nov 18, 2012
Anyone else hear remember Larry Courville? Taken in the 5th round in 93 by the JETS and re-entered the draft in 95 after not signing. Taken in the 3rd round by the Canucks and went on to tp play a whopping 33 games in the NHL with a grand total of 1g and 2a.

Moral of the story is Canucks wasted their 3rd rounder on a guy the JETS had deemed not good enough to develop further.

As much as I liked the Yuen pick and looked forward to seeing him develop further, I will put my faith in Chevy and the JETS scouting staff. Some other team can waste a pick on him only to find out what the JETS staff has already figured out.

NOW GET RAANTA SIGNED!!!!!!!
I am surprised and somewhat disappointed that they did not sign Yuen. Even if the Jets are not projecting him to be an NHL caliber defence man there is still a value to the organization by adding some much needed depth to St. Johns.
You are right Courville is an example of the old Jets making what turned out to be a correct evaluation on a player. But I can sight another example of a player who they really missed the boat on. The one I remember most is when they dumped Kris Draper for a third round draft pick before giving him a real opportunity to play. And we all know how Draper's career turned out with Detroit. The bottom line is that at 20 years old it is still a guessing game how a player will develop and mature as a professional hockey player. As for Yuen only time will tell.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
The one I remember most is when they dumped Kris Draper for a third round draft pick before giving him a real opportunity to play.

Draper was a 3rd round pick, but he was traded for a dollar. Put on waivers I believe.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Really, what was Yuen's upside? I don't think he would have developed into a Postma. I really would like to see the IceCaps do well, but I don't know if he would have even been helpful for them. Good luck to him in the draft, though.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Really, what was Yuen's upside? I don't think he would have developed into a Postma. I really would like to see the IceCaps do well, but I don't know if he would have even been helpful for them. Good luck to him in the draft, though.

Upside is probably a #4 defensive D man. He is by no means a game changer, but the Jets prospect pool is **** and can't really afford to lose players out of the top 10 or so.

My personal Winnipeg Jets defensive prospect rankings:
Trouba
Postma
Redmond
Kulda
Yuen
Melchiori

...and I don't think anybody else has a realistic shot at the NHL.

Kulda is likely to bounce again.

If one of Postma / Redmond is actually moved or is asked to replace Buff, there is very little depth.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Winnipeg is NOT deep in talent at defense. After Trouba who has the potential to make an impact on the roster? Winnipeg has lost of defensemen however the prospects are marginal potential. Winnipeg SHOULD have signed Yuen to a deal with him taking the roster spot of say... Travis Ramsay who will be 30 in May. Simple opportunity to upgrade the defense for the future.

jetsfan101

May 10, 2013
It is possible that Yuen is difficult and hates Winnipeg, but regardless of the 'Why.' Chevy is responsible for a busted pick.

I am curious to learn what happened.

TWO busted picks. We traded up to get him.

Kinjero

Aug 9, 2011
YSJ
How much can we really blame Chevy since it was the 2011 draft, though? I realize he has the final choice, but how much time did he really have to consider the choice.. I dunno, just thinkin..

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
How much can we really blame Chevy since it was the 2011 draft, though? I realize he has the final choice, but how much time did he really have to consider the choice.. I dunno, just thinkin..

We can blame Chevy for not getting them signed. Not every draft pick works out, so I'm not too heartbroken that this one disn't pan out.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Consensus seems to be that Yuen was worthy of being drafted and will be drafted again. The failure wasn't with the initial scouting.

Not putting blame anywhere, just saying.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I am surprised and somewhat disappointed that they did not sign Yuen. Even if the Jets are not projecting him to be an NHL caliber defence man there is still a value to the organization by adding some much needed depth to St. Johns.
You are right Courville is an example of the old Jets making what turned out to be a correct evaluation on a player. But I can sight another example of a player who they really missed the boat on. The one I remember most is when they dumped Kris Draper for a third round draft pick before giving him a real opportunity to play. And we all know how Draper's career turned out with Detroit. The bottom line is that at 20 years old it is still a guessing game how a player will develop and mature as a professional hockey player. As for Yuen only time will tell.

Many around here, and maybe the Jets' coach, seem inclined to dump Burmi too soon, I think. Kris Draper would seem to be Burmi's floor, and Burmi has considerably more upside.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Wasn't Kris Draper traded for $1?

Yuen SHOULD have been signed and I am sorry but Cheveldayoff NEEDS to comment. This isn't a team that can afford to allow 3rd round picks to walk. This is a fringe playoff team right now that has NO reason whatsoever to not sign him. He didn't regress since being drafted, we have lots of older players in the AHL that should be replaced and its fair to say he could still develop into something better than projected albeit reasonably slim.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Many around here, and maybe the Jets' coach, seem inclined to dump Burmi too soon, I think. Kris Draper would seem to be Burmi's floor, and Burmi has considerably more upside.

I think Stu Barnes is another great example of giving up on someone too early

Just because a player isn't what you thought they would be doesn't mean you close your eyes to what they could be if used in the proper role

Kinjero

Aug 9, 2011
YSJ
We can blame Chevy for not getting them signed. Not every draft pick works out, so I'm not too heartbroken that this one disn't pan out.

This is true though.. I really wonder what happened..

Consensus seems to be that Yuen was worthy of being drafted and will be drafted again. The failure wasn't with the initial scouting.

Not putting blame anywhere, just saying.

Right, no I agree.. I guess I'm just thinking out loud and heading on a tangent. Also hammered.. I'm still confused as to why this happened considering what others here are saying here.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Upside is probably a #4 defensive D man. He is by no means a game changer, but the Jets prospect pool is **** and can't really afford to lose players out of the top 10 or so.

My personal Winnipeg Jets defensive prospect rankings:
Trouba
Postma
Redmond
Kulda
Yuen
Melchiori

...and I don't think anybody else has a realistic shot at the NHL.

Kulda is likely to bounce again.

If one of Postma / Redmond is actually moved or is asked to replace Buff, there is very little depth.

Great post. Considering how much TNSE prides themselves on their AHL team, it's even more mind boggling we didn't sign Yuen as he could have played in the AHL this season.

To me, this gives me the hunch it was more Yuen's decision not to sign with the Jets, for whatever the reason. That's my hunch. I hope we find out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad