Prospect Info: Zach Yuen to re-enter draft - didn't get drafted, now UFA

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
True that there might be teams out there that like him but maybe they don't see the value in giving up assets for him without seeing how things unfold on draft day. Maybe Yuen goes 4th round again that doesn't necessarily mean the team would have been OK giving up an asset for him at the deadline. He may only become an option to teams if many players on there list are already gone, so his value may appreciaye or deppreciate to teams as the day unfolds. There's too many variables at play, grabbing him at the draft opens up another two-year contract window where a team can send him back as an OA for evaluation before making a contract decision.

Or perhaps Chevy made mistakes as you said and could have gotten a fifth for him, I would hope management would do proper due diligence In all cases though.

This is pretty much what I was thinking as I was reading through today's posts. It is likely Chevy offered him around, but Yuen is not likely to be too high up anyone's prospect list. And by shopping around a low level prospect who's signing window is closing GM's would know he will likely be available for free in the draft. Yeah he may be worth a 4th - 7th pick, but my guess is most GM's would just as soon wait and see who was still on the board at that time before making a choice. He may get picked he may not, I just don't think for example if he goes in the 5th you can then say Chevy could have got at least a 6th round pick for him.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You downplay the CHI trades, and left out the Wheeler trade which was just as important.

Additionally, the Jets finished the season with 51 points, compared to 50 at the same number of games last year and 53 two years ago. That's real great improvement.

Finally, if the cupboards are so bare, Chevy shouldn't have basically tossed three of our prospects.

I guess a few points in the debate

To his credit Rick did a nice job identifying guys that could produce more given expanded rolls. Ladd and Wheeler both did much better once they were given top line opprotunities. Boston was happy at the time with the Peverey trade and he was part of the team that won a cup so that one worked out for both teams. Buff was a solid aquisition as well. However the moves did come at a cost and despite the moves the Thrashers ended up worse than the year before dropping from 83 points to 80. Rick made some decent moves but he also rushed Burmi into the league and hired Ramsay who got off to a good start but probably wasn't head coaching material (not saying Noel is either).

Rick was hired to do a much different job than Chevy IMHO. He traded off pieces of the future to shore up today and in Chevy's 1st year he did the opposite.

If we look at what Chevy has aquired in two years for draft picks net difference to Rick (apples to apples) back of the napkin It would be an extra 1st, 4 extra 2nd's, 1 extra 3rd (assuming Dudley traded one 1st and two 2nd's in his Chicago trades?). Now Chevy gave up a 4th for Fehr, and a 5th and 7th for Yuen but aquired a 7th for Poni. I didn't really look at Rick's swaps after the big moves?

So both men have their wins and losses and Rick did some good horse trading and Chevy is building a decent war chest of draft picks especially in comparison and managing to steadily improve the teams position in the eastern standings (12th in the last year of the thrashers, tied for 10th in 2011-12, 9th 2012-13).....points wise the team went from 80.....the move.....84, and 87 this year ("IF" they kept on the same pace from game 49 to 82)

Rick had to act fast Chevy was told to take it slow and steady. we shall see how things turn out I guess.

Debate to be continued ;):

One other thing I would add is holding back Scheifele 2 years and counting and Trouba 1 year and counting are both moves in patience and investing in the future. Hard to say how that will pay off but in Scheifele's case it did deny us his talents last year.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Not downplaying them. The Wheeler trade was good as well, but he gave up a good player in Peverlly to get them.

He made some good moves but as a result didn't leave Chevy much to work with. Other than Yuen which prospects has he tossed? Aliue, Machuck? Neither of those are great prospects.

Yeah, there's been a lot of churning of prospects and low-end guys. Mostly set adrift or fairly meaningless AHL trades (Aliu for Negrin, Holzapfel for Macenauer, Machacek for Kubalik). Not sure what the plan is for Kulda, but he let him walk once (then brought him back to watch from the press box). Anyway, I just think muddling around the edges isn't going to push this team over the hump.

BTW: The picks that the Thrashers traded for Buff were New Jersey's 2010 1st and 2nd rounders (24th and 54th overall). The Thrashers still had their own 1st (8th overall - Burmistrov). Chicago took Kevin Hayes with the 24th pick (although Etem was still on the board at that point) and Justin Holl with the 54th...So I'm not sure how much more we'd have to work now had they retained those picks.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah, there's been a lot of churning of prospects and low-end guys. Mostly set adrift or fairly meaningless AHL trades (Aliu for Negrin, Holzapfel for Macenauer, Machacek for Kubalik). Not sure what the plan is for Kulda, but he let him walk once (then brought him back to watch from the press box). Anyway, I just think muddling around the edges isn't going to push this team over the hump.

BTW: The picks that the Thrashers traded for Buff were New Jersey's 2010 1st and 2nd rounders (24th and 54th overall). The Thrashers still had their own 1st (8th overall - Burmistrov). Chicago took Kevin Hayes with the 24th pick (although Etem was still on the board at that point) and Justin Holl with the 54th...So I'm not sure how much more we'd have to work now had they retained those picks.

I agree that muddling around the edges wont push this team over the hump but then again I didn't expect it too and I doubt they did either. I think we will see Chevy make big moves when our younger guys like Scheifele and Trouba start to really knock on the door and push players out of spots. If Trouba shows himself capable next year then Buff is as good as gone as we have a replacement and wont be opening a hole by trading him. Having said that I do expect him to bring in a top 6 RW and hopefully Olie bounces back.

I think Chevy has also done well at finding cheap inexpensive options for the bottom 6 and bottom pairing.

Wright - Good 4th line utility forward who can pk
Tangradi - Really found his game towards the end of the year and if he can add some offense will be an excellent fit on our third line.
Clitsome -4th/5th defender who plays with an edge and can pp and pk.

None of the moves are flashy but they will pay dividends as we round out the rest of the top 6.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Seems to me everyone agrees in this thread except when it leads to the idea that Chevy, however minorly, may have made a mistake. That's when it seems the "it's all conjecture", and "what does it matter anyway" stuff comes out. It is what it is. With no information I don't see how the possibility that Chevy made a mistake can be totally ruled out. There's nothing sacrosanct about Chevy or management here is there?

There most certainly is.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
In a results oriented business, one would think that only results matter (IMO anyways). Otherwise all 30 teams would get their names on the Cup each year.

true- but your setting yourself up for dissappointment if you expect the team to sign every free agent they attempt to. Going hard after Raanta lets us know that despite what he's said publicly, the proverbial wagon is clearly not as tightly hitched to pavelec as him and Noel may have had us believe in season closing interviews- which IS a good ting.

Hoping to sign every free agent you go for is fine. Expecting to sign every free agent you go for is a good way to never be happy with anything. Attempting to sign these guys at least shows us management is trying to make the team better, though it's never just about the money, and there's only so much the GM can do to attract an FA, the final call always rests with them.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So Chevy was just on the Rona Round Table to discuss the summer prospects camp in Penticton and Hnidy asked him about Yuen. Chevy was polite but his response made it seem like Yuen had not progressed the way they had hoped and based on their updated projections the Jets decided to move on. He was polite and respectful about it but to me it seemed pretty clear that they chose to free Zach up to pursue other options.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
So Chevy was just on the Rona Round Table to discuss the summer prospects camp in Penticton and Hnidy asked him about Yuen. Chevy was polite but his response made it seem like Yuen had not progressed the way they had hoped and based on their updated projections the Jets decided to move on. He was polite and respectful about it but to me it seemed pretty clear that they chose to free Zach up to pursue other options.

That makes the most sense, ps.

A fourth rd pick wouldn't hold out for more money, and comments from Yuen from past development camps have all been positive. Typical wide-eyed prospect stuff, just happy to be with an NHL team, etc. If the Jets felt he wouldn't be a prospect for them, then best they part ways.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

One theory, and this is probably the most obvious yet no one seems to think it's possible, is that they didn't see enough potential in Yuen and with D being our strong area, we can afford to pass on one prospect. We also have quite a few early round picks this year that we might use on a couple of defensemen that could help bolster us going forward. Just some thinking.

Just sayin... lol

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
If they lock up Kulda or Melchiori takes another step forward I'll be completely fine... (both better than just one)

But, really I may question their judgement if they value Sol's and Chiarot's progress over Yuen's.

But (again), I have been wrong before (and right before)... either way it happens.

EDIT:
Good of Chevy to be open and honest.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Meh I've been saying this since the start. It's not very likely that a 4th round pick like Yuen goes unsigned for any other reason (although to be fair it does happen like G Frederik Andersen, LW Gregory Hoffman, D Brendan Kichton).

Still seems like an odd decision to me, but meh. It's not like it was a Trouba or Scheifele going unsigned.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Meh I've been saying this since the start. It's not very likely that a 4th round pick like Yuen goes unsigned for any other reason (although to be fair it does happen like G Frederik Andersen, LW Gregory Hoffman, D Brendan Kichton).

Still seems like an odd decision to me, but meh. It's not like it was a Trouba or Scheifele going unsigned.

Since 1999, Matthew Lombardi is the only 4th round or later draft pick to go unsigned and still have a career in the NHL.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2010/6/3/1498138/getting-drafted-for-a-second-time

Not sure I agree with the decision, especially in light of having traded up to draft him, but it's a decision that will likely amount to nothing.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Since 1999, Matthew Lombardi is the only 4th round or later draft pick to go unsigned and still have a career in the NHL.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2010/6/3/1498138/getting-drafted-for-a-second-time

Not sure I agree with the decision, especially in light of having traded up to draft him, but it's a decision that will likely amount to nothing.
Yes, the odds are against Yuen making it, but the same (arguably worse - at best darn similar) odds are stacked against Melch, Chiarot and Sol.

They are all lottery tickets (albeit with better odds than the 6/49) and no matter how you slice it, more lotto tickets means a better odds.

What is the cost of these lottery tickets? There is some real monetary value and there is value in the number of contracts. Teams can't have more than 50.

Best I can tell their are only two logical reason that you don't sign a willing player:
1) You can't afford the contract due to real dollars or the contract limit.
2) You are sure the player is toast.

Do these reasons fit?

1) The Jets aren't near the contract limit, but it is possible their internal budget prevented them from signing Yuen.
2) It is possible (likely) that the Jets view him as toast.

What it means?
If it is reason 1) TNSE is cheap cheap cheap.
If it is reason 2) then Chevy's opinion is very different than pretty much every other published opinion, but that doesn't mean he is wrong.

Reason 1) is bad.
Reason 2) is both fine and inderstandable, but Chevy has a way to go before I trust him when he bucks my both opinion and consensus.

Hopefully Chevy proves to be a savant. Hopefully Sutter works out. Hopefully Scheifele proves to be worth his draft spot. Hopefully this Yuen things doesn't come back to bite him. Time will tell.

arby18

Jun 12, 2010

Ha ha. So the guy Chevy blew two picks on two summers ago and has apparently progressed nicely from multiple third party sources is apparently not good enough to play in an organization devoid of blueline talent in the minors. And ECHLers like Sol and Chiarot have a better chance at producing at the NHL level. Oh boy.

No matter how you slice it, it's poor asset management, as even if you believe that he hasn't progressed (which I'm not sure of) then it was a horrendous evaluation two summers ago to move up and get him. The cupboard is bare, and Chevy just threw out plenty of groceries.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Ha ha. So the guy Chevy blew two picks on two summers ago and has apparently progressed nicely from multiple third party sources is apparently not good enough to play in an organization devoid of blueline talent in the minors. And ECHLers like Sol and Chiarot have a better chance at producing at the NHL level. Oh boy.

No matter how you slice it, it's poor asset management, as even if you believe that he hasn't progressed (which I'm not sure of) then it was a horrendous evaluation two summers ago to move up and get him. The cupboard is bRe, and Chevy just threw out plenty of groceries.

So a 4th round pick hasn't progressed enough to sign...nothing much to get worked up about. Chevy sees a guy that doesn't fit into the Jets plans and has little or no value on the open market so he sets him loose. To use your analogy it's more like he tossed out a 1/4 carton of expired milk.

arby18

Jun 12, 2010
So a 4th round pick hasn't progressed enough to sign...nothing much to get worked up about. Chevy sees a guy that doesn't fit into the Jets plans and has little or no value on the open market so he sets him loose. To use your analogy it's more like he tossed out a 1/4 carton of expired milk.

If Yuen is a 1/4 carton of expired milk, I'm not even sure what you'd call the depth chart in St. John's then...

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

No matter how you slice it, it's poor asset management, as even if you believe that he hasn't progressed (which I'm not sure of) then it was a horrendous evaluation two summers ago to move up and get him. The cupboard is bare, and Chevy just threw out plenty of groceries.

It's a 4th round pick. Not every pick works out. Get that in your head first. You can call it bad asset management all you want, but a couple of mid round picks that don't work out is nothing to cry about.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
Time will tell if this was a good move or not. I also believe its not good asset management. We basically have no depth from the icecaps and yet want to throw out prospects. Look at a guy like Rask, Toronto trades him for Raycroft and look at it now.

arby18

Jun 12, 2010
It's a 4th round pick. Not every pick works out. Get that in your head first. You can call it bad asset management all you want, but a couple of mid round picks that don't work out is nothing to cry about.

It's a little early to suggest that he won't work out, no? And while it might be nothing to cry about, it is something that should be mildly concerning. It's hard to build through the draft when you flush picks down the toilet.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
It's a little early to suggest that he won't work out, no? And while it might be nothing to cry about, it is something that should be mildly concerning. It's hard to build through the draft when you flush picks down the toilet.

No, it's not concerning one bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad