Value of: Zach Werenski for your young centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Domi + 1st/good prospect for Werenski is a very decent offer.

Domi is young, plays center, and is producing like a first liner. Saying he gets only Nutivaara/Murray is ridiculous. What are the expectations here? Barkov? Hischier? Aho? Monahan? Larkin?

Werenski alone does not get these types of franchise C.
The deal I was referring too was: Drouin + Suzuki for Werenski + 2nd
As for Domi, he needs to repeat last season before I'd take him in a trade for Werenski.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Domi + 1st/good prospect for Werenski is a very decent offer.

Domi is young, plays center, and is producing like a first liner. Saying he gets only Nutivaara/Murray is ridiculous. What are the expectations here? Barkov? Hischier? Aho? Monahan? Larkin?

Werenski alone does not get these types of franchise C.
Barkov is reaching too far. Maybe Aho also. The rest would indeed be in the conversation.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I would do Roslovic, a first, and a third.
When we say "young center", we kind of mean someone who's a top 1-2 center right now, not a third line winger who still might have some hope of becoming a center someday. Hometown affiliation does not improve on-ice capability.

* * *​
Winnipeg would need to unload a contract to take on another high paid RFA. How about Roslovic, 1st and Kulikov or Perrault.
:biglaugh: :shakehead

Seriously, guys, Winnipeg has exactly one (1) player on the roster that qualifies as being acceptable in a Werenski deal, and I would be truly astonished if y'all had any desire whatsoever to trade him.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What offer sheet would CBJ not match ?
League maximum. Maybe.

In all honesty, I think there's literally one (1) team in the League that could possibly manage a Werenski offer sheet without hamstringing their roster by having to start dumping assets like mad, and that's Colorado. Montreal has no hope whatsoever.
EDIT: Well, okay, Ottawa's got the room for it too, but, well, Melnyk.

EDIT 2: Oh, wait, I forgot that Rantanen also needs a contract. Never mind. Nobody can pull off an offer sheet. Sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

IcedJuicebox

Feb 2, 2019
Barkov is reaching too far. Maybe Aho also. The rest would indeed be in the conversation.
Larkin scored 73 in 76 games last year and is already inching into the selke conversation, werenskis a great player, but he doesn't get larkin either.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Larkin scored 73 in 76 games last year and is already inching into the selke conversation, werenskis a great player, but he doesn't get larkin either.
Top pairing Dmen (top20 per NHL) are worth 60-70pt centers. It's fine if you are high on Larkin, and believe his defensive game makes him =/< than other Centers; and don't want to trade him.

To everyone else:
CBJ doesn't need defensive centers, it's not a requirement that your offer includes selke candidates, but they do have to be above 60-70 points and relatively young centers.

Reactions: Toe Pick and Viqsi

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Top pairing Dmen (top20 per NHL) are worth 60-70pt centers. It's fine if you are high on Larkin, and believe his defensive game makes him =/< than other Centers; and don't want to trade him.

To everyone else:
CBJ doesn't need defensive centers, it's not a requirement that your offer includes selke candidates, but they do have to be above 60-70 points and relatively young centers.

Do you have some example players here? Werenski is great but you are describing a young 1C that is pretty valuable and there just aren't that many in the league. Most teams that have one are going to want to hold onto them unless they somehow have an excess....this seems pretty rare.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Do you have some example players here? Werenski is great but you are describing a young 1C that is pretty valuable and there just aren't that many in the league. Most teams that have one are going to want to hold onto them unless they somehow have an excess....this seems pretty rare.
And so are defensemen who score 10+g 40points their 1st 3years while being good enough defensively that Torts has him on the top pairing.

Thats pretty rare too.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I tend to think that Werenski is being underestimated. I think it’s hard to come to an agreement on 1 for 1 trades involve players of his caliber, but a 21 year old top pair defenseman returns a similar aged top line center. There just aren’t a lot of either type of player thought to be available.

They're not available because everyone wants them, until two teams figure out that they'd probably be better, more well-rounded, while dressing the other team's guy and that's when a 1-for-1 trade is made, which is pretty freaking rare.

I won't debate Werenski's value overall as right now there's really no consensus and I wouldn't want to beat a dead horse for nothing, but I see a lot of names in this thread that would make sense in a straight-up deal or package, I'm just not sure if there's a fit to be made right now.

I personally see Werenski signing a short-term deal, performing well and then either getting traded to better suit C-Bus's prospect pipeline and overabundance of good, young LHD, or re-signed for more money.

Potentially, if one or more of our young guys at center, namely Poehling, Kotkaniemi or Suzuki, prove that they're ready this year and take a major step forward to becoming full-fledged top-6 centermen, and Kukan, Gavrikov or Carlsson also show good stuff (with Murray being already established), we could re-visit a hypothetical trade involving Domi and Werenski alongside other parts if needed next summer as there would be a better fit then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi and Dumais

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

Obvious one is Johansen for Jones

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Yeah, except I'd want to aim a little bit higher than the Preds did in a Werenski deal, thus my flinching at names like Horvat and Trocheck.

Personally I'd do trocheck with an add from Florida but with them adding Bob, not sure they will do roster players

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
No ty, Rather wait and see if Murray bonus back and becomes a Krug like player. And packages wouldn't be helpful since the team has every position filled (except 2c ofcourse) already. Would actually like to package Wennberg or Jenner with Werenski in a trade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad