Value of: Zach Werenski for your young centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Seth Jones is probably better than Zach Werenski, but it is close
I said before they were drafted that Werenski > Hanafin (at a time it was somewhat controversial). So, I'm a fan of the player.

But no, it's not really close. Jones is easily better.

Reactions: bukwas

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Normal people properly reply to a trade proposal by making a counter offer. People like you just add smart comments.
The problem is that your proposal is so utterly devoid of merit for the Jackets that any counteroffer would also come across as a "smart comment". Like, the one that comes to mind for me is Nutivaara, Dubinsky, MacInnis, and Zaar for Pastrnak and Vaakanainen.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I'd do Krug, Backes, Fitzgerald and Hughes for Werenski and Foudy. Might even be talked into adding a 3rd in 2022.
Do you mean "you would trade Krug, Backes, Fitzgerald for Jack Hughes (NJD)" and then do " Werenski and Foudy for Hughes."?

*sorry, it's the best "out" I can think of.*

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Just looking at guys who were under 25 this past season and got 60+ pts:

McDavid
Draisaitl
MacKinnon
Barkov
Point
Aho
Monahan
Eichel
Matthews
Larkin
Domi
Pettersson
Barzal
Horvat

(leaving out Reinhart and Lindholm because they may be listed as C, they primarily play W, also leaving out Dubois since he's already on CBS).

Straight up, forgetting rosters and needs, who is Werenski worth?

Now taking rosters and team needs into effect (CGY needs Monahan more than another D, MTL needs Domi, VAN has Hughes coming and probably doesn't want to deal either Horvat or Pettersson)... do ANY of those teams consider this deal?

Now take contract situation... Horvat, Domi, Pettersson...those guys are cheaper to WAY cheaper than Werenski will be.

So if Columbus fans are annoyed that nobody is offering the exact package that they are asking for.... maybe that's because such a deal doesn't exist (as you eluded to).

I mentioned Domi for Werenski a few posts earlier which got a fair reaction. Domi is my 2nd fav Hab after Gally but i'd move him for Werenski. I value both players very highly tho. For example, i also like Provorov but i wouldnt move Domi for him. I could see him becoming our captain after Weber tbh.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Domi in the long run could be better (after he breaks out w/couple 60-70pts seasons) but right now it's a pass for CBJ.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Domi in the long run could be better (after he breaks out w/couple 60-70pts seasons) but right now it's a pass for CBJ.

I feel like it's the opposite - last year Domi was obviously the better player. With Domi though you're not expecting improvement, you're just hoping he can repeat last year. Werenski figures to get better and better. My gut instinct is to make that trade for the Jackets, but my brain tells me it could look really bad in a few years. So I'd do it. :laugh: Actually I wouldn't but that's because Domi is UFA in two years, not because it wouldn't be a win win deal up until that point.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
We’ve been through this 700,000 times. Columbus wouldn’t do Jones for Draisaitl, Edmonton wouldn’t do Draisaitl for anything else Columbus has, Werenski included. Let’s move on before someone says “it would take McDavid” and I run full speed head first into a brick wall.
I think Columbus is fine with this. McD for Jones + a brick wall :sarcasm:

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I feel like it's the opposite - last year Domi was obviously the better player. With Domi though you're not expecting improvement, you're just hoping he can repeat last year. Werenski figures to get better and better. My gut instinct is to make that trade for the Jackets, but my brain tells me it could look really bad in a few years. So I'd do it. :laugh: Actually I wouldn't but that's because Domi is UFA in two years, not because it wouldn't be a win win deal up until that point.

Am I reading this right?

Werenski for Domi?

That would be horrendous for CLB.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I'd do Krug, Backes, Fitzgerald and Hughes for Werenski and Foudy. Might even be talked into adding a 3rd in 2022.

Wait, which Hughes and how are you acquiring him? Please don't tell me you mean Cameron Hughes.

That would be like me offering Pelech+Ladd+3rd rounder for McAvoy and Vaak

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Am I reading this right?

Werenski for Domi?

That would be horrendous for CLB.

In terms of trade value it is super uneven, and Werenski should be much more valuable over the long run - he's a more elite player with more team control. But next year Domi could easily be the more impactful player, Werenski is still inconsistent. Columbus shouldn't do it for the same reason Nashville shouldn't have done the Johansen-Jones deal: since many different possible D for F trades stand to improve the roster, then don't trade a player with Norris upside for a non-elite center, trade someone else (Ellis?) or get a better return (not Johansen).

Reactions: Treebeard

Slomo

May 27, 2018
Not about to read through the 10 + pages of offers. Anybody mention hometown boy Jack Roslovic as an option? How about JR, 1st and Kulikov for Werenski?

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Not about to read through the 10 + pages of offers. Anybody mention hometown boy Jack Roslovic as an option? How about JR, 1st and Kulikov for Werenski?

Wouldn't mind Roslo but not for Werenski. Previous threads were more like Elhers/Connor +

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Not even slightly close. Bringing home Roslovic would be interesting, but he doesn't come anywhere near a Werenski trade.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
In terms of trade value it is super uneven, and Werenski should be much more valuable over the long run - he's a more elite player with more team control. But next year Domi could easily be the more impactful player, Werenski is still inconsistent. Columbus shouldn't do it for the same reason Nashville shouldn't have done the Johansen-Jones deal: since many different possible D for F trades stand to improve the roster, then don't trade a player with Norris upside for a non-elite center, trade someone else (Ellis?) or get a better return (not Johansen).

Wait... you're calling Werenski inconsistent? While Domi had 3 straight years of sub 20 goals with 2 if them being <10?? He literally had a single good year out of 4 full seasons

Of the 2 I'd rate Domi as being the one most likely to turn back into a pumpkin

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wait... you're calling Werenski inconsistent? While Domi had 3 straight years of sub 20 goals with 2 if them being <10?? He literally had a single good year out of 4 full seasons

Of the 2 I'd rate Domi as being the one most likely to turn back into a pumpkin
Werenski had a serious down year to start last season, so, yeah, it's fair to call him inconsistent. But at the same time, I'd agree w/r/t that assessment of Domi, which is why I wouldn't do it.

Reactions: Spazkat

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Pretty much all young D-men are either inconsistent or take a while to develop outside of rare exceptions like Doughty, and Karlsson until about the age of 24. Historically, most Calder nominated D-men don't match there rookie scoring rate until 24 and then they tend to be consistent. This even happened with a legend like Lidstrom. Now, there are rookies like Myers who just never do it again.

Look at the current wave of young high producing D-men. Seth Jones didn't find his game until about 22/23. Rielly broke out at 23/24. Most of the young defenders who broke into the league/were drafted around the same time as Werenski are also inconsistent or haven't emerged. Just look at Ekblad and Provorov.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Pretty much all young D-men are either inconsistent or take a while to develop outside of rare exceptions like Doughty, and Karlsson until about the age of 24. Historically, most Calder nominated D-men don't match there rookie scoring rate until 24 and then they tend to be consistent. This even happened with a legend like Lidstrom. Now, there are rookies like Myers who just never do it again.

Look at the current wave of young high producing D-men. Seth Jones didn't find his game until about 22/23. Rielly broke out at 23/24. Most of the young defenders who broke into the league/were drafted around the same time as Werenski are also inconsistent or haven't emerged. Just look at Ekblad and Provorov.

Yep. This is why I want little or nothing to do with any Werenski trade - well, unless we get a really really nice deal.

* * *​
Werenski for RyJo? lol
ha ha ha no ;)

(Arguably dubious for Nashville as well; the Preds are set on the left side with Josi and Ekholm.)

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Domi + 1st/good prospect for Werenski is a very decent offer.

Domi is young, plays center, and is producing like a first liner. Saying he gets only Nutivaara/Murray is ridiculous. What are the expectations here? Barkov? Hischier? Aho? Monahan? Larkin?

Werenski alone does not get these types of franchise C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad