Value of: Zach Werenski for your young centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
How much to sign Werenski though? Going by some of the trade offers it is going to be expensive. Karlsson just signed long term for 11.5 million
It's been reported that he wants 3years @ 5+ million. I think Jarmo is looking for a longer deal. Problem is Werenski still hasnt broken out. He's proven top pair which I would love to see signed at 7 for 8years; because if he does break out it's a great deal and if not it's still a good price for what he is now.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
CBJ get bent over

Sure I said it was a workable offer.

Suzuki is a great young prospect and a first round in the upcoming draft is going to be an excellent player.

I'm not even sure if Montreal would make the offer but they most likely would as they have a huge need on the back end.

What kind of player (or package) do you think Zach would command in return form any NHL team then.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I admit that this might be my prejudice but I just don’t rate RNH very highly.

Leon Draisatl is probably my number one guy I would love but I’m not even going to ask. It just ends up in an argument about how much he does/doesn’t benefit from McDavid until the grown ups (Viqsi and Chaotic Orange) have to intervene.
Draisaitl isn't happening. Period.

I won't even mention who we'd want back for him cause everyone already knows and it's only gonna cause a shit storm.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Suzuki is a great young prospect and a first round in the upcoming draft is going to be an excellent player.

I'm not even sure if Montreal would make the offer but they most likely would as they have a huge need on the back end.

What kind of player (or package) do you think Zach would command in return form any NHL team then.
We really only care about getting a young equivalent-quality NHL center in return. If we don't get that, we don't trade Zach.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

Suzuki is a dime a dozen player every team has in the system who may top out as PA Parenteau if you get lucky. Since he's on the Habs it will take people forever to get around to him not having insane trade value just like with McCarron

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I just don't see how Domi+ for Werenski makes sense for Columbus. Domi is a high end #2C in my opinion, I don't think I would want him playing prime matchups and time as a #1C on a contender.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I just don't see how Domi+ for Werenski makes sense for Columbus. Domi is a high end #2C in my opinion, I don't think I would want him playing prime matchups and time as a #1C on a contender.
We're looking for someone #1C capable, but said someone would probably be playing behind PLD, so that sort of concern isn't as large. The objection to Domi is more the whole "he's only done it for one year, what if that year was an outlier" worry.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
We're looking for someone #1C capable, but said someone would probably be playing behind PLD, so that sort of concern isn't as large. The objection to Domi is more the whole "he's only done it for one year, what if that year was an outlier" worry.

Ideally, wouldn't the quality of C returned in a Werenski trade bump PLD down to #2C?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ideally, wouldn't the quality of C returned in a Werenski trade bump PLD down to #2C?
Ideally, yes. In practice, there's two considerations that would mess with that expectation: 1) the types of C available that we'd be willing to go for, and 2) PLD's actually pretty damn good. ;)

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Werenski for Kotkaniemi would be a solid base value wise, maybe even 1 for 1 or with Wennberg going the other way. Domi - Danault - Poehling - Wennberg with further chances to obtain Cs would be manageable

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Werenski for Kotkaniemi would be a solid base value wise, maybe even 1 for 1 or with Wennberg going the other way. Domi - Danault - Poehling - Wennberg with further chances to obtain Cs would be manageable
Call us when he doubles his point totals in a couple years. And no, it's not even remotely close value wise.

I don't see anything from Montreal that would land Werenski 1 for 1. And packages don't hold value (even if it's equal in a vacuum) to a team with one pressing need.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Call us when he doubles his point totals in a couple years. And no, it's not even remotely close value wise.

I don't see anything from Montreal that would land Werenski 1 for 1. And packages don't hold value (even if it's equal in a vacuum) to a team with one pressing need.

If that happens Montreal would be calling you about a different defenseman.

Only reason Kotkaniemi would be available in such a trade is because there's a chance he settles as a 60 point shutdown forward so it's a slight gamble for CBJ. Right now he's pacing better than PLD development wise and I don't think any CBJ fans would take Werenski over him

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I won't even mention who we'd want back for him cause everyone already knows and it's only gonna cause a **** storm.

This isn’t to say that Werenski isn’t a very good young defenceman, because he is, but there’s a lot that goes into why we wouldn’t touch a Werenski, Werenski+, or Werenski ++ deal for Draisaitl.

1) our forwards at the NHL level are trash. One of the worst groups in the league, and that’s with goddamn McDavid and a guy that just put up 50-50 last year whose contract looks like a complete bargain now. Trading Leon for a left handed defenceman - that benefits from having a Norris caliber defenceman as his partner - is a miserable idea.

2) speaking of left handed defencemen, Klefbom/Nurse/Russell is perfectly fine down the left side at the NHL level. Klefbom in particular is very good. Nurse took big steps. We’re good on the left side. Not so much anywhere else.

3) Prospects? Oh, we’ve got prospects. I would say that Edmonton has arguably the best group of defensive prospects in the NHL outside of Colorado. And, guess what - the majority of the good ones are lefties. Broberg, Jones, Lagesson, and Samorukov.

Frankly a deal around Werenski and Draisaitl has so little appeal to Edmonton that you’re honestly not even going to get the whole offer out before we reject it entirely. Straight across just gets you laughed at. Small adds? Laughed at. Big adds? Better be big enough that we’d trade from a position of weakness for a position of strength... and be cap compliant... and make us better both short and long term. Good luck.

Reactions: Viqsi and 780il

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It's unlikely that a team will have the depth at center to trade an asset equivalent to Werenski and have a need for a LHD of Werenski's caliber at the same time. One team's strength matching up with another team's weakness and vice versa, with age and team control in alignment, is a rare thing.

The pathway forward for the Jackets is to miss the playoffs, win the lottery and draft Byfield. They are a Metro team, after all.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

I won't even mention who we'd want back for him cause everyone already knows and it's only gonna cause a **** storm.

The poster you quoted said they weren’t going to ask for Draisaitl. Literally posted the words ‘not even going to ask.’

Pretty much the equivalent of saying ‘I won’t even mention’... ‘cause everybody knows.’

Must not be much left to talk about in this thread.

Reactions: Dumais

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's unlikely that a team will have the depth at center to trade an asset equivalent to Werenski and have a need for a LHD of Werenski's caliber at the same time. One team's strength matching up with another team's weakness and vice versa, with age and team control in alignment, is a rare thing.

The pathway forward for the Jackets is to miss the playoffs, win the lottery and draft Byfield. They are a Metro team, after all.
It's certainly rare, but you can't win if you don't try.

And we already have our Metro lottery win. It's how we got PLD; we started the trend. Sure, New Jersey got two, but New Jersey has Taylor Hall. ;)

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

I can understand your point, but I can tell you, unless it's PLD, Columbus has nothing to get Kotkaniemi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad