Prospect Info: Zach Senyshyn who are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Just curious, where does this guy scout normally? He's talking to you about three prospects from three different junior leagues spread across an entire country. I suppose it's possible, but in my limited experience with scouts, they usually have designated areas of the country or specific leagues that they cover. It would seem unusual for a scout to be watching all three of these players, unless he's just speaking generally about these kids and hasn't watched all three extensively?

Some team scouts overlap area's.

For example, Malkoc is the Bruins WHL scout, but he was very instrumental in the Senyshyn pick. And he's traveled to Ontario this season as well

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Senyshyn never failed a physical and neither did those guys. I started early, and gave up once I was able to prove the point. I guess I could have kept going ;)

I forgot the :sarcasm:, although by now that joke or "joke" has been beaten to death for a while so I thought it wouldn't be necessary :laugh:

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
as a %age of points?

Senyshyn: 64% of points were goals

Mike Bossy 59%
Reggie Leach 65%
Guy Lafleur 59%
Dave Andreychuk 56%

To be fair, those guys did rack up assist.

Lafleur was 3rd in the whole league for assist, he just happen to also be a 130 goals scorer.
Bossy was 18th in the league for assist in his best point season.
Leach was 4th in assists in his best point season.
Andreychuk is the most comparable, he was 47th that single year when he had more goals than assists.

I used eliteprospect to find those data and it only register the 100 first so I couldn't find Senyshyn, but it was getting close, so he is probably arround 125th-150th.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
To be fair, those guys did rack up assist.

Lafleur was 3rd in the whole league for assist, he just happen to also be a 130 goals scorer.
Bossy was 18th in the league for assist in his best point season.
Leach was 4th in assists in his best point season.
Andreychuk is the most comparable, he was 47th that single year when he had more goals than assists.

I used eliteprospect to find those data and it only register the 100 first so I couldn't find Senyshyn, but it was getting close, so he is probably arround 125th-150th.

To be fair, you made a statement...it was refuted...and you moved the goalposts.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The info I have got on ZS is very impressive. Nice to come here and read he's a stiff to balance things out. His skill set is going to play very well in the NHL.

Let's review

Plus shot
Plus skating
Plus size
Plus character

Oh that's right his assist rate doesn't compare with Andy Bathgate's

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Would it be common for a scout to cover all 3 junior leagues? Seems a bit...inefficient?

Teams have cross checkers and isn't Bradley Boston's ?

Bill Polian says he always asks his scouts when trumpeting a guy the like to tell him 'why they won't succeed'

This thread is filled with why he won't I'm curious what the posters who are saying he's not going to succeed what they would come up with why he will

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Would it be common for a scout to cover all 3 junior leagues? Seems a bit...inefficient?

I wouldn't say it's common. In the Bruins case, they have a second WHL scout and OHL scout (off the top of my head can't remember if they have two in the QMJHL) so that gives a guy like Malkoc the opportunity to cross over especially if you have scouts in a different area telling management "you need to come have a look at this kid". Sometimes they'll send out a different scout before management makes an appearence, which is what happened in the case with Malkoc this season.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
My apologies, I thought you were the one that asked the goal/assist ratio question (it was Fire Sweeney) that Dom refuted, but you just defended it.

No problem.

I just put that cause the guy question was" Are there any successful player who didn't rack up the assist in the CHL". Dom gave exemple of guy who were better goal scorer than passer, but who still rack up assist.

Things doesn't look that good now, but to be fair, Senyshyn could be the next 60 pts CHLer who can duplicate his performance at the NHL level. It's extremely rare, but it happens, we just have to look at what Lucic did. My expectation aren't really high,but if he became a fast and gritty 2 way foward who can score 20 I would defenitely make space on "my" team for him.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
No problem.

I just put that cause the guy question was" Are there any successful player who didn't rack up the assist in the CHL". Dom gave exemple of guy who were better goal scorer than passer, but who still rack up assist.

Things doesn't look that good now, but to be fair, Senyshyn could be the next 60 pts CHLer who can duplicate his performance at the NHL level. It's extremely rare, but it happens, we just have to look at what Lucic did. My expectation aren't really high,but if he became a fast and gritty 2 way foward who can score 20 I would defenitely make space on "my" team for him.

True.

Remember though, the four guys Dom used as examples played four full seasons in junior. You are judging Senyshyn based on only two, and this year there was not a ton of talent surrounding him (for assists). If the Soo get better and put him on a line with some talent, where he wasn't the only "go to" guy, the assists may come.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
True.

Remember though, the four guys Dom used as examples played four full seasons in junior. You are judging Senyshyn based on only two, and this year there was not a ton of talent surrounding him (for assists). If the Soo get better and put him on a line with some talent, where he wasn't the only "go to" guy, the assists may come.

I don't see the argument over the number of season played in the CHL. He is 18 in a league full of 16-19yo of wich 1% only will have a career in the NHL.

And Lafleur played only 2 seasons, Leach 3 (one with only 22 games), Andreychuk 3 (if you count Andreychuk 14 games in 82-83 as a season). Bossy did played in 4 season.

Every person believe in some trait more than other. For me it's hockey sense, that's the attribute I think is of best use trying to project those young guys. To me Senyshyn have tremendous qualities, but he lack the hockey sense to be a top 6 winger in the NHL. I may be wrong, I was wrong more than once and being a fan of the Bruins I'd be really happy if I was wrong. But for now, I hope he work on his game so he can become an above average 3rd liner who can be a forecheking beast and use his speed and hands to score 20. So I hope for Paille with the hands to convert more of the opportunity his speed give him. That's my realistic excpectation.

Just to show an exemple where I was wrong. I tought Marchand's offensive game would not translate to the NHL when he was in the Q. He made his plays using his hands and superior agility on his skate and not much by being at the right place at the right time. Keeping the puck this much on your stick turning arround and arround at the NHL level doesn't work ... well Brad did make it work.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I wouldn't say it's common. In the Bruins case, they have a second WHL scout and OHL scout (off the top of my head can't remember if they have two in the QMJHL) so that gives a guy like Malkoc the opportunity to cross over especially if you have scouts in a different area telling management "you need to come have a look at this kid". Sometimes they'll send out a different scout before management makes an appearence, which is what happened in the case with Malkoc this season.

not sure if they have two either Dom, only one I have seen and briefly met at the Mooseheads game when I was invited into the big boy seats upstairs in a box by a friend was a scout named Bisonnette if memory serves and apologies for the spelling if incorrect and I can`t recall his first name sorry

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
not sure if they have two either Dom, only one I have seen and briefly met at the Mooseheads game when I was invited into the big boy seats upstairs in a box by a friend was a scout named Bisonnette if memory serves and apologies for the spelling if incorrect and I can`t recall his first name sorry

Hope he was high on Samuel Girard.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Hope he was high on Samuel Girard.

no clue, met him for about 4 seconds as I was wearing my B`s cap and eating the free food in the common area there, he said to me "rooting for the right team" and I said brilliantly "yep", it was Cam Russell ,Moose GM who I have gotten to know as I`ve served him numerous times in the restaurant I work at and am a long time season tix holder, who told me who he was

I like Girard but man the kid has got to shoot more. Not sure of his stats but he`s most definitely a pass first player

Back to Senyshyn, I`m on record saying I wouldn`t be shocked if he`s one of those kids who forces Sweeney and Julien to keep him around for an extra long looksy and makes them decide whether or not to burn year one of ELC

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
no clue, met him for about 4 seconds as I was wearing my B`s cap and eating the free food in the common area there, he said to me "rooting for the right team" and I said brilliantly "yep", it was Cam Russell ,Moose GM who I have gotten to know as I`ve served him numerous times in the restaurant I work at and am a long time season tix holder, who told me who he was

I like Girard but man the kid has got to shoot more. Not sure of his stats but he`s most definitely a pass first player

Back to Senyshyn, I`m on record saying I wouldn`t be shocked if he`s one of those kids who forces Sweeney and Julien to keep him around for an extra long looksy and makes them decide whether or not to burn year one of ELC

Thanks, yes he is a pass first player, still manage to finish #1 defensemen in all the CHL in term of pts because of his superior vision, patience and skating in the Ozone.
And even if we always hear a shot on net his never a bad play, it his a bad play if you have better option open. A shot on net in a non-scoring area result in a goal 1 time out of 30 maybe? What generaly happen the other 29 times? A loss of possession. Shot if you have no other option or if you have a scoring chance, if not then just continue with the play and keep possession.

P.S. yeah, I'm a pass first player too :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad