Zach Hyman - Best UFA signing in Oilers history

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
Hyman has been a freaking joy! A great effort every night! Understands who he is playing with and does what it takes to make things happen. His board play continues to improve as well as his goal mouth scoring touch. Seems like a good person and a great team guy. We are lucky to have him

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I remember the games we played against the Leafs in the Canadian division during Covid. And Hyman stuck out for them amidst all that star power. He was just a pain in the ass to watch him outwork us and get a whack of greasy goals and plays against us. But I always respected him and found it hard to dislike him, other than the fact he was a Leaf.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The Oilers play the Leafs March 23rd.
How sweet would it be to have Hyman score his 50th goal in that game? :D

At this pace he's not going to make it there. Three home games between now and then, at his current pace that's looking like 4 goals.

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
Remember Don cherry saying when he played for the Leafs that Hyman was a keeper and how he loves how he plays. Seeing him with the Oilers for 3 years I can say I have never had a bad word to say about his play ever. He's a talented work horse who works on his craft to improve. He never let's you down.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The only UFA signing that I can think of that would even be in the conversation for #2 would probably be Sheldon Souray. I can't think of anyone else that came here as UFA and actually performed as a top line quality player for any amount of time.
You have to go back to the glory days. Maybe Craig Mactavish would be the 2nd best UFA signing.

Reactions: AM

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
You have to go back to the glory days. Maybe Craig Mactavish would be the 2nd best UFA signing.

Didn't think of him, I thought he was actually traded here for something nominal.

Hyman, Souray and MacT might literally be it for quality UFA signings over the entire nearly 50 year history of the franchise. Crazy when you think about it.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the best quote i ever saw regarding hyman was mike smith when he said to the media "i tell my kids everyday, watch how zach hyman plays. there are only a few mcdavids but hyman is is how regular players have success in hockey" obviously i paraphrased but its 100% true

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Despite the very disappointing outcome of the game against Ottawa Zach Hyman deserves a ton of credit for being the 3rd oldest player in NHL history to get 50 goals in a season.
Couldnt happen to a better guy.
Way to go Zach. :thumbu:

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
HYMAN, REINHART HIT 50-GOAL MARK SUNDAY
Zach Hyman
(1-0—1) and Sam Reinhart (2-0—2) joined Auston Matthews as the second and third 50-goal scorers this season and became the first pair of players to reach the plateau on the same day since April 4, 2001, when Jaromir Jagr and Joe Sakic did so.

Hyman (50-19—69 in 68 GP) became the seventh player in Oilers history to score 50 goals in a season. Hyman, who was selected by the Panthers in the fifth round of the 2010 NHL Draft, also became the second player in the past 20 years to net as many in a campaign after being taken in the second round or later. He joined Brayden Point (51 in 2022-23; 3rd round in 2014) and Jonathan Cheechoo (56 in 2005-06; 2nd round in 1998).

Hyman_March25-24114705.png

sauce: https://media.nhl.com/public/news/17850

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
I do find it amusing that leaf fans suddenly care all of a sudden when it comes to discussions. Matthews vs McDavid they do not count but Matthews vs Hyman--the now count

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Leafs fan here,

Couldn't be happier for Zach getting 50. He is easily one of my favorite Leafs of all time. In an era filled with emotionless Leaf hockey, I was never left wondering if Zach had more to give. He always gave everything he had.

Many hockey fans around the league will try and downplay his 50 goals as being a "tap-in merchant" but 50 goals is 50 goals. There have been plenty of players before Zach, and there will be plenty of players after him that could never do what he just did if given the same opportunity. Not many players are willing to pay the physical price at the top of the crease like he does.

Zach unfortunately will always get his accomplishments diminished based on the players he has had the good fortune of playing with over his career, but the reality of it is he is more than worthy of holding the company he keeps. Plain and simple, Zach has earned his right to play with the players he has played with. Not to mention, Zach has very underrated skill. It just tends to get overshadowed by all the other great things he does.

I have always said if you could ice 12 Zach Hymans you would have a perennial cup winner. He just does everything the right way.

I will always be a fan of his. I just wish he was still a Leaf lol

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Leafs fan here,

Couldn't be happier for Zach getting 50. He is easily one of my favorite Leafs of all time. In an era filled with emotionless Leaf hockey, I was never left wondering if Zach had more to give. He always gave everything he had.

Many hockey fans around the league will try and downplay his 50 goals as being a "tap-in merchant" but 50 goals is 50 goals. There have been plenty of players before Zach, and there will be plenty of players after him that could never do what he just did if given the same opportunity. Not many players are willing to pay the physical price at the top of the crease like he does.

Zach unfortunately will always get his accomplishments diminished based on the players he has had the good fortune of playing with over his career, but the reality of it is he is more than worthy of holding the company he keeps. Plain and simple, Zach has earned his right to play with the players he has played with. Not to mention, Zach has very underrated skill. It just tends to get overshadowed by all the other great things he does.

I have always said if you could ice 12 Zach Hymans you would have a perennial cup winner. He just does everything the right way.

I will always be a fan of his. I just wish he was still a Leaf lol
Appreciate this post...especially considering that its coming from a Leafs fans perspective. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad