Zach Hyman - Best UFA signing in Oilers history

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I will be buying his jersey and wearing it for the next 30 years with pride. The Smyth of the modern era. A shining example on and off the ice.
Make sure to get it personalized with "HYMANATOR"

I was pumped up about this signing because of the Leafs fans constantly talking him up, and how so many were upset about losing him. I was not expecting him to be the top goal scorer for the Oilers though!

His smarts, effort, and his personality made him a favourite Oiler, all of these goals just yummy gravy

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
My only real issue with him is that he isn't much of a passer. Beyond that, he has been great for us.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
@joestevens29

Assuming the info below is accurate...very murky is a good description....

Gretzky scored his first professional goal against Dave Dryden of the Edmonton Oilers[35] in his fifth game, and his second goal four seconds later.[36] However, he played only eight games for Indianapolis. The Racers were losing $40,000 per game. Skalbania told Gretzky he would be moved, offering him a choice between the Edmonton Oilers and the Winnipeg Jets. On the advice of his agent, Gretzky picked the Oilers, but the move was not that simple. On November 2, Gretzky, goaltender Eddie Mio and forward Peter Driscoll were put on a private plane, not knowing where they would land and what team they would be joining.[32] While in the air, Skalbania worked on the deal. Skalbania offered to play a game of backgammon with Winnipeg owner Michael Gobuty, the stakes being if Gobuty won, he would get Gretzky and if he lost, he had to give Skalbania a share of the Jets. Gobuty turned down the proposal and the players landed in Edmonton.[37] Mio paid the $4,000 bill for the flight.[38] Skalbania sold Gretzky, Mio and Driscoll to Oilers owner Peter Pocklington, a former business partner. Although the announced price was $850,000, Pocklington actually paid $700,000.[35] The money was not enough to keep the Racers alive; they folded that December.[34]

Wayne Gretzky - Wikipedia
I seem to recall that Gretzky signed a Personal services” contract with Pocklington, not a standard hockey contract.
Wild stuff back in the day.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Surely the Ryan Smyth comparison is valid.
This graphic was posted on the main board in regards to the location of all of Hyman’s goals this year:

1709364825746.jpeg

That’s a picture that would make Smytty proud.

Only thing it’s missing is one clapper flying down the left wing just past the blueline that he’d score on maybe once a year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This graphic was posted on the main board in regards to the location of all of Hyman’s goals this year:

View attachment 827992

That’s a picture that would make Smytty proud.

Only thing it’s missing is one clapper flying down the left wing just past the blueline that he’d score on maybe once a year.
Wow.
That is a remarkable visual.
Over 80% of his goals are from in and around the crease.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
During the covid season he was the most annoying and tenacious opponent on the Leafs so I liked the signing and thought he could be a poor man's Ryan Smyth for us. This might be blasphemous to some but I think he's been as good or better than peak Smytty. Hyman has already covered the bet on his contract and will be a beloved Oiler forever.
It truly was a different era - the game was played differently, goaltending was differnt, the rules weren't (officiated) the same, and the skill level of our team was different so it's hard to really compare. But I think I agree.

And I don't consider it blasphemous. Hyman is a really great player - and not just a greasy goal scorer either. Watch how he confidently carries the puck to the net and beats defenders now too. It's increadible to see his game is still growing at this stage of his career.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It truly was a different era - the game was played differently, goaltending was differnt, the rules weren't (officiated) the same, and the skill level of our team was different so it's hard to really compare. But I think I agree.

And I don't consider it blasphemous. Hyman is a really great player - and not just a greasy goal scorer either. Watch how he confidently carries the puck to the net and beats defenders now too. It's increadible to see his game is still growing at this stage of his career.
Hyman's puck protection and puck management in the offensive zone has progressed to where he's a problem for the league and it's truly bearing out this year being the 2nd player in the league to 40 goals.

I said it earlier and I'll repeat, he's exceeded all expectations, wonderful signing.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Hyman's performance must be killing Leaf fans. Not only did we win the McLottery but a player that was mediocre for their franchise transforms into a star for ours. I'm sure they're bending themselves backwards trying to justify Hyman being a product of McDavid.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Hyman's performance must be killing Leaf fans. Not only did we win the McLottery but a player that was mediocre for their franchise transforms into a star for ours. I'm sure they're bending themselves backwards trying to justify Hyman being a product of McDavid.
He definitely wasn't mediocre for Buds. Yes, he was a late bloomer and as I wrote in my earlier post, he's grown as a player since then - but anybody who watched the Leafs during that Covid-shortened season or the North Divison could see that he was blossoming (sorry for all the leaf metaphors :laugh:) into a star. There's a reason the Oilers went all-in on him for free agency.

Reactions: PBandJ and Oilhawks

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
He definitely wasn't mediocre for Buds. Yes, he was a late bloomer and as I wrote in my earlier post, he's grown as a player since then - but anybody who watched the Leafs during that Covid-shortened season or the North Divison could see that he was blossoming (sorry for all the leaf metaphors :laugh:) into a star. There's a reason the Oilers went all-in on him for free agency.
I guess mediocre was a bad choice of words…lol. I meant that he has evolved into much more than anyone could have anticipated, including both franchises.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Zenos

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

Brains works that way.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I was so pumped when he was rumored to be coming here. I seen the potential he had from how he played in TO. I knew a guy that worked as hard as him and drove the net could be gold with mcDavid. Everybody around me was saying it was such an overpayment. We don't need him, blah blah

I still remember listening to Lowetide and the guy hosting with him was crying like a baby on air. He said we didn't need him and it was a stupid overpayment lol. Guy was so irritating to listen to. I don't think he watched Hyman in TO.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'm sure Holland had nothing to do with this signing. Right guys?
I would assume he did but I suspect as little as possible. By accounts Hyman had his sights on Edmonton rather than Holland "stealing" him. Not important.

Amazing player. A pleasure to watch. So hard working. Great to see a player like that succeed.

The Ryan Smith comparison is all too real but I think I actually prefer the style and skill set Hyman brings. At least a noticeably higher hockey IQ/skill set compared to more of a head to the net and battle/hope.

Reactions: Oilhawks

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Would love for Hyman to either have 50 goals or in position to get there when we play the laffs.

Nine games to score 8 goals before the Leafs game.

Let's take this scenario one step further... The evil part of me would love to see Hyman get stuck in a mini "drought" and be stuck at 47 going into Toronto. Leafs fans would be using this as proof that it wasn't that bad to lose him.

And then Hyman scores a hat trick five goals, Matthews goes -6, and the Oilers stomp the Leafs to the tune of 10-0. :naughty:

I can dream, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad