Prospect Info: Zach Hyman: Best New Two-Way Forward On The Leafs?

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
What do you guys think.., so far..?

I think he might be... and Babs seems to be just lovin' him, too..

Hyman and Soshnikov look NHL ready for next season, if they keep working hard all summer..

New 2015-16 highlights montage, for Hyman..

Zach Hyman
Forward -- shoots R
Born Jun 9 1992 -- Toronto, ONT
23 yrs. ago
Height 6.01 -- Weight 205

RECENT STATS: (*Up to March 4th 2016)

2015-16 Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
3 Games... 0 Goals... 0 Assists... 0 Points... 0
--------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 Toronto Marlies - AHL
54 Games... 13 Goals... 20 Assists... 33 Points... +28

Things Get Better: Zach Hyman 2015-16 Highlights - TML

Last edited:

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
..and here's his previous highlights, from last season..

Real dependable Center, with leadership skills..

2014-15 University Of Michigan Wolverines - NCAA - Big 10
37 games... 22 goals... 32 assists... 54 points.... +24 *PPG+

Flashback Zach-Attack: Zach Hyman Montage - TML 2015-16

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I've been really impressed with how mature Hymans game is. He's never going to be an impact player offensively (based on limited viewings of his puck skill), but I think he can be a really good grinder and pk guy with just enough skill to flank any of the highly skilled Cs we have in the mix

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I really like his game so far, that's for sure.

Its far too soon to label him the best new two way forward IMO, but he's off to a good start. :yo:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
He has come a long way from an awkward skating freshman. He looks like he has the energy, style and physique of a prototypical bottom 6 forward.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I like him too. We need quality bottom 6 guys with the ability to play on the top lines on occasion and who are able to make space for the skilled guys.

I think Hyman and Sosh fulfill that role nicely and should definitely be on the team next year.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
I've been really impressed with how mature Hymans game is. He's never going to be an impact player offensively (based on limited viewings of his puck skill), but I think he can be a really good grinder and pk guy with just enough skill to flank any of the highly skilled Cs we have in the mix

I watched his last two University years, fairly clsoely.. He's a born leader, amongst his peers.. and is really more of a set-up guy, than a scorer... (look at his stats with both videos, above).. Usually has double the amount of assists..

I really like his game so far, that's for sure.

Its far too soon to label him the best new two way forward IMO, but he's off to a good start. :yo:

I mean "new".., in as much as from the younger Marlies up this season... But, I agree it's early.., which is why I posed the title of this thread with a question mark..

I just feel, that Dubas has watched him longer than I have.. and has even more reason for having him here.. This guy seems to adapt very fast, with new playing partrners, too..

He has come a long way from an awkward skating freshman. He looks like he has the energy, style and physique of a prototypical bottom 6 forward.

He looks really big out there.., until you see him stand beside Gauthier.., who is also starting to make a leap forward.. and has really filled out..! (Height 6.05 -- Weight *220) :)

Last edited:

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I mean "new".., in as much as from the younger Marlies up this season... But, I agree it's early.., which is why I posed the title of this thread with a question mark..

I just feel, that Dubas has watched him longer than I have.. and has even more reason for having him here.. This guy seems to adapt very fast, with new playing partrners, too..

Understood, I'm just waiting to see the likes of Gauthier and Brown as Leafs as well and Marner next season before I can say for certain who the "best new two way forward" is.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Most impressive of the forwards brought up so far. He'll be a regular next year.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Hyman and Soshnikov look NHL ready for next season, if they keep working hard all summer..

Zach Hyman
Forward -- shoots R
23 yrs. ago

He might well develop to be that, certainly has the tools but unce leo has the edge right now. If zach can find a scoring touch in the nhl, that would aid in him becoming the best 2 way player on the tem.
He is a very welcome edition though.

leafsfan2

Jan 4, 2007
Markham,ON
He definitely can be. Don't know how his offensive game will translate to NHL though. Seems he is skill but not sold yet. Defensively he is good.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Great bottom 6 guy.

JVR - Matthews - Marner
Stamkos - Nylander - Kapanen
Komarov - Bozak - Brown
Soshnikov - Gauthier - Hyman
-Leipsic/Timashov/Johnson/Bracco

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Kyle Dubas said one guy who will go severely under the radar because he does all the little things right and gives an honest effort every game is Zach Hyman. I thought it was high praise at the time, given Nylander and Sosh are both excellent prospects, but having watched him play and battle in all three zones, I think Dubas knew something most didn't at the time that he said this.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Kyle Dubas said one guy who will go severely under the radar because he does all the little things right and gives an honest effort every game is Zach Hyman. I thought it was high praise at the time, given Nylander and Sosh are both excellent prospects, but having watched him play and battle in all three zones, I think Dubas knew something most didn't at the time that he said this.

Yep.

Not to mention Babcock loves those "attention to detail" guys.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I havent been able to watch Hyman or any of the 8 new Leafs on the team yet since we haven't got a game out west here yet. Maybe saturday night i'll be able to watch it.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Zach Hyman
Forward -- shoots R
23 yrs. ago

I am not really picking on you but is it not too early to label some one as a best 2 way forward? I mean they all look good but it's only couple of games

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
He's got some puck skills for sure, I would just like for him to distribute the puck better. Last night's game was a perfect example, he was playing with the puck in the corner, deking and diving all over the place yet not really going anywhere.

Ryan Suter eventually got bored, bodied him against the boards and just took the puck from him lol

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
He coughed up a big one in the 3rd that almost turned into a goal. Which kind of detracts from a best 2 way forward label.

Good size & skates with a lot of energy, but I would rather see him on another line than with Nylander & Kapanen.

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
Great bottom 6 guy.

JVR - Matthews - Marner
Stamkos - Nylander - Kapanen
Komarov - Bozak - Brown
Soshnikov - Gauthier - Hyman
-Leipsic/Timashov/Johnson/Bracco

Not the thread for this but LOL at your line up. Yah, sign Stamkos for 10mil/yr and make him the 2nd line winger.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
mckegg and a 7th for hyman
not bad

That wasn't the trade.

It was McKegg for Hyman

The conditional 7th would have come to us if Hyman didn't sign with us.

Not that it was a significant trade, but we didn't really have to trade McKegg, as Hyman was rumoured to be going the free agency route & there was the rumour he wanted to play for the Leafs. If that were the case we could have just waited.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
That wasn't the trade.

It was McKegg for Hyman

The conditional 7th would have come to us if Hyman didn't sign with us.

Not that it was a significant trade, but we didn't really have to trade McKegg, as Hyman was rumoured to be going the free agency route & there was the rumour he wanted to play for the Leafs. If that were the case we could have just waited.

If this new regime has proven anything though, it's that they completely value contract spots. Giving up Mckegg was almost certainly a negative value situation.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
If this new regime has proven anything though, it's that they completely value contract spots. Giving up Mckegg was almost certainly a negative value situation.

Yup, maybe even a bit of we'll throw ya a bone Florida, but he's coming here. Might see the same with Vesey & Nashville this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad