Zach Hyman 1st 50 goal season

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It doesn't change the fact the McDavid has pretty well the lowest goals per game of his career while achieving the highest assists and at the same time it's the opposite for Hands. It's pretty clear that McDavid is sacrificing goals for assists and Hands is the benefactor.
Highest assists, so hyman isn’t dragging him down?

The mental gymnastics here could win you a gold medal

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Possibly. Those are two guys that make the players around them better. Like McDavid, who has made Hyman better. Like Thornton, who made Cheechoo better. Hyman is a great wing man for McDavid, no doubt. But his value is over inflated because of it. That 5.5 is good value. But, he is probably nothing more than a 5.5 mil player anyways.
You really think Matthews is scoring 50-60 goals with the likes of Barabanov and Mikael Granlund instead of Marner and Nylander?

You think MacK is putting up 120-130 points with Kirill Marchenko and Yegor Chinakov instead of Makar and Rantanen?

I don't think you actually believe that.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
You really think Matthews is scoring 50-60 goals with the likes of Barabanov and Mikael Granlund instead of Marner and Nylander?

You think MacK is putting up 120-130 points with Kirill Marchenko and Yegor Chinakov instead of Makar and Rantanen?

I don't think you actually believe that.
Probably not. But I believe the negative impact on those two great players by the players you listed is less than the positive impact that McDavid has had on Hyman.

MacKinnon, Matthews, or the player I listed.....Suzuki, would have a far greater impact on the Sharks or BJ's than Hyman would. I can promise you that.

Hyman is scoring way above his pay grade. Good for him. It is amazing....and I would love to have a 50 goal scorer. But, Hyman would not be close to that on my team. I still think this is more of a Cheechoo scenario, which you conveniently ignore.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Probably not. But I believe the negative impact on those two great players by the players you listed is less than the positive impact that McDavid has had on Hyman.

MacKinnon, Matthews, or the player I listed.....Suzuki, would have a far greater impact on the Sharks or BJ's than Hyman would. I can promise you that.

Hyman is scoring way above his pay grade. Good for him. It is amazing....and I would love to have a 50 goal scorer. But, Hyman would not be close to that on my team. I still think this is more of a Cheechoo scenario, which you conveniently ignore.
I'm not ignoring anything. I also don't think Hyman hits 50 again, but who knows.

But the fact is he played with elite talent in Toronto too. Some argue with the second best player in the league, and he wasn't coming close to the same results that he's had in Edmonton. Hyman is responsible for the massive leaps in his game as much as McDavid is.

Reactions: waitin425

gotcha90

Oct 23, 2016
I mean, it's a fact. If you want to deny that, go ahead it. It's obvious you are the one incapable of nuanced thought or logic. As you have shown to be unable to engage or argue with any of my points, and instead crop a tiny snippet and reply with a two-word glib response.

But sure, according to you it must be a coincidence that children born into wealthy families, are on average richer and healthier adults than children born to poor families. No advantages whatsoever.
Zach Hyman had no control over the circumstances he was born into. Him being born a male also significantly improved his chances of making the NHL, much more so than his family wealth. These may be relevant facts to a broader thesis about advantage and privilege but I don't believe it significant or appropriate to point out either of these when discussing Zach Hyman specifically.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
nah Berkshire is a POS...calling out Hyman because he grow up rich is a garbage take

newsflash, most NHLers grow up rich
But Hyman is also Jewish and if you look at Berkshire’s social media posting history vis-a-vis Israel, you can deduce where his animus toward Hyman comes from.

Reactions: Voight

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
No, you can't, unless you think that criticizing Israel's wartime actions is the same thing as anti-Semitism.
I don’t but . . . Hyman has been vocal in his support of Israel so I think it’s a reasonable inference to make here. There’s no other reasonable explanation for singling out Hyman for his “privilege.” Most hockey players today come from upper-middle class backgrounds, the sport is super-expensive to play, obviously.

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
By the way, Hyman's 50 goal season now gives the Edmonton Oilers TWENTY 50-goal player-seasons in their history, #1 among all NHL franchises.

8 x Gretzky
4 x Kurri
3 x Draisaitl
2 x Anderson
1 x Messier
1 x McDavid
1 x Hyman

(The above-mentioned Craig Simpson scored 56 in 1988, but only 43 of them were with Edmonton.)
Paul Coffey damn near did too.

Jun 27, 2005
Highest assists, so hyman isn’t dragging him down?

The mental gymnastics here could win you a gold medal
You are aware that they award 2 assist per goal right? Talk about mental gymnastics. Even with last years unbelievable PP McDavid still wasn't able to reach his pre Hands points (per game). Who knows what could have happened if they spent that money elsewhere but the Leafs stars performed just as well without him for a lot cheaper. The problem is that Edm hasn't had a legit top winger in decades so you guys think that Hands is actually good. Put him on the second line (where he belongs at best) on any other team and he's 20/20 guy, the rest is M&M / McDrai.

Last edited:

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I’m honestly ignorant to this,

but can someone explain to me how league wide scoring being up makes it inherently easier for a player to put the puck in the net?

Is it the goalies aren’t as good as the years prior or the players getting better? Or is it a league wide thing that teams are playing looser?

It doesn’t, people just pretend that it does

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yeah, they’re both difficult but I would pick Auston Matthews over Zach Hyman.

Matthews has 10 points in his last 4 games and he’s playing without Marner who should return soon.

I don’t think either would happen, but that’s how improbable I think it is for Hyman to win the Rocket.
Matthews get point and goals with anyone.
Marner or no Marner.
But he could never keep pace with Kucherov or Mackinnon

You are aware that they award 2 assist per goal right? Talk about mental gymnastics. Even with last years unbelievable PP McDavid still wasn't able to reach his pre Hands points (per game). Who knows what could have happened if they spent that money elsewhere but the Leafs stars performed just as well without him for a lot cheaper. The problem is that Edm hasn't had a legit top winger in decades so you guys think that Hands is actually good. Put him on the second line (where he belongs at best) on any other team and he's 20/20 guy, the rest is M&M / McDrai.
Yes they give 2 assists per goal.......so why is Matthews so far behind the leaders?
Being a great sniper doesn't have to exclude him from setting up more goals.
Does it?

Reactions: Kerberos

Strangle

May 4, 2009
The crazy part is that when you factor in usage Hyman is actuall having a better goalscoring year than Matthews.

Hyman
5vs5 g/60 1.87
PP g/60 4.14

Matthews
5vs5 g/60 1.76
PP g/60 3.98

Matthews is only ahead due to getting more minutes and 3vs3 goals, which don't count in real hockey. So when you adjust their scoring levels based on the usage, Hyman's year ranks ahead of Matthews season in terms of goalscoring.

This is exactly the kind of garbage I hate about era adjusted stats

People take some sliver of info and apply it incorrectly to make wildly inaccurate statements as if they’re fact

No, Hyman is not having a better goal scoring season than Matthews, you absolute muppet

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
This is exactly the kind of garbage I hate about era adjusted stats

People take some sliver of info and apply it incorrectly to make wildly inaccurate statements as if they’re fact

No, Hyman is not having a better goal scoring season than Matthews, you absolute muppet
Hyman has scored 35 of his 50 goals from 4 feet out front of the net - there was a graphic posted on it.

Lets not pretend hes some sniper, Mcd has been banking shots off him and he's cleaning up garbage.

good for him but hes a 25 goal scorer on another team lol

Reactions: Strangle and 666

Jun 27, 2005
Yes they give 2 assists per goal.......so why is Matthews so far behind the leaders?
Really? Because he's a pure goal scorer like Ovi. Matthews is basically a 55/40 guy and pacing for .5 assists per game as he always does. Ovi was also a .5 assists per game guy.

McDavid is the greatest ever (other than Orr). He's so good he can take a 20/20 guy and turn him into a 50/20 guy but it costs him 20 EV goals and 16 PP goals so it's basically a wash.

Last edited:

Jun 27, 2005
Hyman has scored 35 of his 50 goals from 4 feet out front of the net - there was a graphic posted on it.

Lets not pretend hes some sniper, Mcd has been banking shots off him and he's cleaning up garbage.

That's only if he plays on the top line and get PP1 time. If he plays further down in the lineup where he belongs he's at best a 20/20 guy.
Hands 51 goals is a remarkable achievement, by McDavid.

Strangle

May 4, 2009

“Better goal scoring season than Matthews” the guy says, unbelievable stupidity of people around here

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Really? Because he's a pure goal scorer like Ovi. Matthews is basically a 55/40 guy and pacing for .5 assists per game as he always does. Ovi was also a .5 assists per game guy.

McDavid is the greatest ever (other than Orr). He's so good he can take a 20/20 guy and turn him into a 50/20 guy but it costs him 20 EV goals and 16 PP goals so it's basically a wash.
How is it a wash? Hyman had 36 goals last year when McDavid was apparently not passing to anyone to get his 64 goals. You're saying McDavid sacrificed goals this year to set up Hyman who is at best a 20/20 guy, then where did those goals come from last year?

According to your logic when McDavid was focusing on his own goal total, Hyman should have suffered and returned to the 3rd line 20 goal guy he supposedly is.....but he didn't,

So that just leave the conclusion that your narrative is trash and most likely driven by jealousy that Dubas picked Bunting (LOL) over Hyman and was hilariously wrong.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Matthews get point and goals with anyone.
Marner or no Marner.
But he could never keep pace with Kucherov or Mackinnon

Being a great sniper doesn't have to exclude him from setting up more goals.
Does it?
You understand that there are plenty of goals scored with one or zero assists right? Literally there are not “2 assists per goal.” In all NHL history the number is 1.61, so about 20% shy of 2/goal.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Hymans dad buying teams only helped him until Junior A.

Hymans dad couldn't and didn't buy the Michigan Wolverines to ensure his son got a spot on the team, didn't buy the Panthers to ensure they drafted him, didn't buy the Maple Leafs to ensure they traded for him/put him next to Matthews and he didn't buy the Oilers to ensure his son would be well compensated + play shotgun to the best player in the world.

Reactions: The Moose

Jun 27, 2005
How is it a wash? Hyman had 36 goals last year when McDavid was apparently not passing to anyone to get his 64 goals. You're saying McDavid sacrificed goals this year to set up Hyman who is at best a 20/20 guy, then where did those goals come from last year?

According to your logic when McDavid was focusing on his own goal total, Hyman should have suffered and returned to the 3rd line 20 goal guy he supposedly is.....but he didn't,

So that just leave the conclusion that your narrative is trash and most likely driven by jealousy that Dubas picked Bunting (LOL) over Hyman and was hilariously wrong.
Last season McDavid assisted on 18 of Hands 36 goals while Hands assisted on 12 of McDavid's 64 goals. This year McDavid's assisted on 35 of 51. Who knows maybe McDavid could have hit 75 last season with that insane PP. We'll never know. But this sort of analysis will quickly get out of control as all great players usually have someone that they feed or get fed by but in this case it's only McDavid (and Drai) that is the great player.

The Leafs, fortunately, could not afford Hands. Matthews has scored 60, 40 (injured) and 59 so far this season without Hands so we most certainly don't miss him.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Last season McDavid assisted on 18 of Hands 36 goals while Hands assisted on 12 of McDavid's 64 goals. This year McDavid's assisted on 35 of 51. Who knows maybe McDavid could have hit 75 last season with that insane PP. We'll never know. But this sort of analysis will quickly get out of control as all great players usually have someone that they feed or get fed by but in this case it's only McDavid (and Drai) that is the great player.

The Leafs, fortunately, could not afford Hands. Matthews has scored 60, 40 (injured) and 59 so far this season without Hands so we most certainly don't miss him.
you don't miss a 51 (and counting) goal scoring winger who is the best net front presence in the NHL on the PP, plays hard, never gives up on plays, and is almost unanimously considered the hardest working player in the game?

Hmmmm.....sounds like bullshit to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad