Zach Hyman 1st 50 goal season

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
He has been on an absolute heater this year. Always liked his tenacity when he was in Toronto. I honestly didn't believe he had 50 in him but here I am at a crow buffet. NOM NOM

Reactions: Dieseloil

Jun 27, 2005
Hands is almost sure to set the record for the least number of assists for whatever number of goals he gets.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I meant in the context of his peers. ie NHL players. I don't know the percentages but I'm sure its a lot higher than a snip from the general population.
Yep.

Ice hockey is nearly exclusively a rich man's sport now, especially at the higher levels.

Everyone's parents are either in very well-paying occupations (lawyers, doctors, finance) or business owners.

How many goals would he have if he was born in a small war-torn village in Mozambique? That's the real question we need to be focusing on here.

Hashtag check your privilege, hashtag facts are facts, hashtag follow me on socials
I don't really get Berkshire's vendetta against Hyman in particular, but it should be a completely non-controversial (and factual) claim that being extremely wealthy confers many life advantages on someone.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Yep.

Ice hockey is nearly exclusively a rich man's sport now, especially at the higher levels.

Everyone's parents are either in very well-paying occupations (lawyers, doctors, finance) or business owners.

I don't really get Berkshire's vendetta against Hyman in particular, but it should be a completely non-controversial (and factual) claim that being extremely wealthy confers many life advantages on someone.
In regular life, sure. No amount of money in the world can buy you into the NHL. Or buy you 50 goals.

Meanwhile Josh Doan is considered a “great story”. Not only did he have money growing up with an NHL star father but also the inside track and connections. Him and all the other sons coming into the league over the years

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
In regular life, sure. No amount of money in the world can buy you into the NHL. Or buy you 50 goals.

Meanwhile Josh Doan is considered a “great story”. Not only did he have money growing up with an NHL star father but also the inside track and connections. Him and all the other sons coming into the league over the years
I never mentioned Doan. I don't see how he refutes the "money helps" argument at all. What the media narratives around Doan are irrelevant to the argument.

No, money doesn't buy you 50 goals in the NHL. But it does buy you a lot of private training, private access, and connections that someone else doesn't have, to help you progress up the levels to the NHL.

Hyman's dad bought an entire hockey association to ensure he would be playing at the highest level in his age group. Absent that, and absent all the privately paid help Hyman received, do you think his chances at making the NHL would be the same?

If money doesn't help you in the NHL, why do the majority of NHLers come from wealthy backgrounds?

Jun 27, 2005
Yeah, I'm not really taking your opinions regarding hockey seriously, considering how incredibly wrong you were about this subject.
Did you even read it. I said "He will bring your stars down".
McDavid and Hands combined have 189 points so far.
Last season McDavid had 153 by himself but only has 26 goals so far.
It's just reality.

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Look man, you can have one of two mutually exclusive concepts:

1) Hands is a superstar goal scorer who has come alive at the age 31 AND McDavid is cooked and a mere shadow of his former self.

OR

2) reality.

It's your choice.
Hey man just take the L no need to make this hard for everybody

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
See, this is the well-reasoned high-brow intellectual hockey conversation we SHOULD have been having all along if people weren't derailing with politics.

office-creed-youre welcome.gif

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I never mentioned Doan. I don't see how he refutes the "money helps" argument at all. What the media narratives around Doan are irrelevant to the argument.

No, money doesn't buy you 50 goals in the NHL. But it does buy you a lot of private training, private access, and connections that someone else doesn't have, to help you progress up the levels to the NHL.

Hyman's dad bought an entire hockey association to ensure he would be playing at the highest level in his age group. Absent that, and absent all the privately paid help Hyman received, do you think his chances at making the NHL would be the same?

If money doesn't help you in the NHL, why do the majority of NHLers come from wealthy backgrounds?
Do you think Alex Nylander would have gotten to the NHL if it wasn’t for his dad? Or continued to get chances if it wasn’t for his brother? The Tkachuks? Their dad was a NHL superstar and they got all the best opportunities and training as well from day one.

But because Hyman’s dad was not an NHLer it’s somehow less fair that he used his money to help his son? However much money Hyman Sr. had he could never have the same network and connections that a Keith Tkachuk would have had.

If the NHL signed his checks there’d be no issue I guess.

Reactions: Voight and swiftwin

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Probably pretty similar. You get diminishing returns the more money you put into it.

Now, if his family was dead broke, you're right, his chances would have been lower.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Did you even read it. I said "He will bring your stars down".
McDavid and Hands combined have 189 points so far.
Last season McDavid had 153 by himself but only has 26 goals so far.
It's just reality.
At 5on5 McDavids scoring is up 0.73 p/60 with hyman on his line compared to last year

Thoughts on that?

This decrease you’re looking at is due to the powerplay points which is running the exact same unit they did last year.

I don’t think you understand the situation

At 5on5, McDavid w/ hyman is 4.87 gf/60, McDavid w/o hyman is 2.56 gf/60.

He’s really dragging McDavid down

Reactions: Ol' Jase

Jun 27, 2005
At 5on5 McDavids scoring is up 0.73 p/60 with hyman on his line compared to last year

Thoughts on that?

This decrease you’re looking at is due to the powerplay points which is running the exact same unit they did last year.

I don’t think you understand the situation

At 5on5, McDavid w/ hyman is 4.87 gf/60, McDavid w/o hyman is 2.56 gf/60.

He’s really dragging McDavid down
Appreciate the stats but they ignore context. For example who else was / is on the line, what situations do they play in, who do they play against etc etc.
Keeping it simple, I do see that McDavid had 39 even strength goals last season and Hands had 21. This season Hands has 36 and McDavid has 19 so far. Just looks like trading one for the other to me.

Last edited:

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Appreciate the stats but they ignores context. For example who else was / is on the line, what situations do they play in, who do they play against etc etc.
Keeping it simple, I do see that McDavid had 39 even strength goals last season and Hands had 21. This season Hands has 39 and McDavid has 19 so far. Just looks like trading one for the other to me.
So, your assertion is that McDavid has somehow magically transferred his goal scoring ability to Hyman.

This is incredible.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Do you think Alex Nylander would have gotten to the NHL if it wasn’t for his dad? Or continued to get chances if it wasn’t for his brother? The Tkachuks? Their dad was a NHL superstar and they got all the best opportunities and training as well from day one.

But because Hyman’s dad was not an NHLer it’s somehow less fair that he used his money to help his son? However much money Hyman Sr. had he could never have the same network and connections that a Keith Tkachuk would have had.

If the NHL signed his checks there’d be no issue I guess.
I don't know why you're bringing these other guys up. I didn't mention them. And again, they are irrelevant to the argument that, "money helps". Yes, the others guy had money and NHL connections thanks to their NHL dads. Is that fair? No, but that's how it is.

Hyman's dad bought a league for him to play. What you're saying is that in no way helped his career. That is a bizarre take.

Yes, rich people use their money to get themselves ahead. That's just the way it is. To deny that it is helping is very strange.

Reactions: Kerberos

Jun 27, 2005
So, your assertion is that McDavid has somehow magically transferred his goal scoring ability to Hyman.

This is incredible.
Last chance. No, I'm asserting that McDavid (who I agree is the greatest ever) has adapted either by himself or due to coaching to become more of a playmaker than goal scorer (relative to last season) and Hands is the benefactor of that change but the net result is a wash.

Jun 27, 2005
So Hyman has stolen points from McDavid. He should be reported.
No, I think McDavid has purposely changed his style in an attempt to make the team better but it's a wash. It is interesting that McDavid has assisted on 38 of Hands 51 goals and Hands has assisted on 2 of McDavid's goals.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Impressive to say the least. But to think he hasn't benefitted from playing with McDrai is ridiculous. Take Hyman and put him in the Habs. Does he score 50? Does he even score 40? 30? Would he immediately become the Habs best player? Lol....no. no he wouldn't. He doesn't come close to Suzuki.

Good on him though. A solid contributing piece. Much like Cheechoo was when he scored 56 riding shotgun to Jumbo. Right player at the right time.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Last chance. No, I'm asserting that McDavid (who I agree is the greatest ever) has adapted either by himself or due to coaching to become more of a playmaker than goal scorer (relative to last season) and Hands is the benefactor of that change but the net result is a wash.
But you said that Hyman would bring everything down. You said he couldn’t do anything but hustle. You said he had no hands, no IQ, and wouldn’t get passes for any of the Oilers because of how terrible of a player he was.

You even wished us luck, man!

Jun 27, 2005
But you said that Hyman would bring everything down. You said he couldn’t do anything but hustle. You said he had no hands, no IQ, and wouldn’t get passes for any of the Oilers because of how terrible of a player he was.

You even wished us luck, man!
And I stand by all of it. McDavid has assisted on 38 of Hands 51 goals but the cost was that McDavid's goal production and Hands assists went way down. The Leafs could have had Marner and Matthews try to feed him more goals but it would have hurt them too so they replaced him with Bunting for $4M less who performed about the same.

• Haha
Reactions: MessierII

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I don't know why you're bringing these other guys up. I didn't mention them. And again, they are irrelevant to the argument that, "money helps". Yes, the others guy had money and NHL connections thanks to their NHL dads. Is that fair? No, but that's how it is.

Hyman's dad bought a league for him to play. What you're saying is that in no way helped his career. That is a bizarre take.

Yes, rich people use their money to get themselves ahead. That's just the way it is. To deny that it is helping is very strange.
cool, but that shouldn't be the narrative...cause there are tons of rich folks who try to buy their sons a ticket to the NHL

cause money doesn't buy you hard work

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad