Prospect Info: Zach Benson, LW/C, Wenatchee (WHL), Signed ELC- 2023, 13th Overall

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Buffalo doesn't exactly have a track record of getting the most out of the their talent. Usually what a prospect brings to the to Sabres in terms creativity and individual skill, tends to be their plateau of that skill set. Not many guys have shown an increase in their talent from the time they were drafted.
Tage and Mitts have absolutely increased and diversified their talents since they have gotten here. Dahlin has become a FAR better defender. If UPL's form holds, he's exceeding his talent level (granted, goalies are voodoo).

What you said might have been the case under previous regimes. But the ONE thing that Granato and company have been consistently good at is getting the most out of the talent that our kids have.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I hope The Royal Report or someone is compiling clips of Benson's best little plays like they did for our best guys last year. Seeing all of them in a big reel would probably shock those here or around the league who haven't been watching him closely.

Is there a service like NFL All-22 that let's us search out clips?

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
I have posted that concern a few times. Players come to this team and lose their individuality.

Clifton was banging and pushing guys around when he first got here and now thats gone.

The team takes on the personality of the coach.
Yes, but Girgensons is 4-5 inches taller and has a different skillset. He is a physical player who throws lots of hits, Benson isnt and doesnt. Even as a prospect one of Girgensons main strengths was skating, which isn't a big strength of Bensons (even if I think is skating is perfectly fine). They both understand playing defense, but idk how many 5'9" 4th line grinders who dont hit you can think of. There's no real path for Benson to even become the same type of player.

Now, if your concern is more of just that Benson will develop into a depth player rather than a star and you're using Girgs as an example of a quality of player, that's different. I cant speak for Girgs and his expectations at draft cause I didnt follow the Sabres that far back, but Benson is a guy who was ranked as high as the 5th best prospect in the draft by many very reputable scouts and writers. This is a kid with an overabundance of skill and potential, whose main path in the NHL is to be a dominant playmaker. Worrying about him not becoming that at only 18 at best isn't fair imo.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Yes, but Girgensons is 4-5 inches taller and has a different skillset. He is a physical player who throws lots of hits, Benson isnt and doesnt. Even as a prospect one of Girgensons main strengths was skating, which isn't a big strength of Bensons (even if I think is skating is perfectly fine). They both understand playing defense, but idk how many 5'9" 4th line grinders who dont hit you can think of. There's no real path for Benson to even become the same type of player.

Now, if your concern is more of just that Benson will develop into a depth player rather than a star and you're using Girgs as an example of a quality of player, that's different. I cant speak for Girgs and his expectations at draft cause I didnt follow the Sabres that far back, but Benson is a guy who was ranked as high as the 5th best prospect in the draft by many very reputable scouts and writers. This is a kid with an overabundance of skill and potential, whose main path in the NHL is to be a dominant playmaker. Worrying about him not becoming that at only 18 at best isn't fair imo.
I mean if you read my post I am not sure how can you misread it this much.

I even mentioned Clifton as an example then you go on about Girgensons. Just post your post. No point in quoting mine and going off on something different.

I am not talking about development. I am talking about individuality. The team taking on the personality of the coach at the expense of how an individual player plays.

Benson is not a soft player. Benson is willing to go to the dirty areas, stick his nose where it doesn't belong and fish for rebounds in the crease.

That being said this is a soft team that at times doesn't stick up for each other. I have seen where the UPL gets run and no one does anything about it.

See where its going? My concern is Benson's style of play will be hampered because guys like Benson who are willing to do the dirty work to find pucks often are the ones taking a beating after the whistle. If guys aren't going to stand up for each other then the team will continue to be soft and Benson will play within the perimeters that doesn't get 3 guys jumping on him at once and it has happened in the past already. In this clip Benson was ok but Buffalo players didn't really defend him. Benson could start to pull back because he doesn't want to loose his teeth out there and his teammates don't defend him.

The way Winnipeg responded there is the way our team should respond when someone gets close to our goalie. They don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: rams

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Worrying that Benson might accidentally get coached into being a Girgensons is a funny worry considering their similarity more or less starts and ends with being drafted within a spot of each other in the 1st.
I have posted that concern a few times. Players come to this team and lose their individuality.

I mean if you read my post I am not sure how can you misread it this much.
Seems to be a pretty clear conversation to my reading.

Reactions: MOGlLNY

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I wonder if the res have something against carnies.

"The young boys were chilled to the bone when they heard the faint clanking of the caravan as it quietly rolled into town under the cover of a gloomy autumn night on the Canadian prairie. Yet the shivers could just as easily have been frissons of excitement, if they were honest with themselves. If they were capable of honesty.

They did not know that their fates had already been sealed. After all, what young boy would ever consider -- for even one moment -- that he was destined to become a referee for the National Hockey League?"

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

1. Zach Benson, LW, 18 (Buffalo Sabres)
There were a lot of nights two seasons ago, on a Winnipeg Ice team that boasted half a dozen of the better forwards and two of the top defensemen in the WHL, where Benson was the best player on the ice (which included him leading the Ice in playoff scoring with 23 points in 15 games) as a 16-year-old. By last season, there was no doubt: Though an injury kept him out of the first round of the playoffs, Benson was the best forward on one of the CHL’s most talented teams up front. At year’s end, I ranked him sixth on my final list for the 2023 draft and the Sabres took him 13th. When he made the Sabres out of camp, I wasn’t honestly surprised. Though returning to the WHL and playing for Canada at the world juniors was probably the expected outcome, his game has always endeared itself to coaches.

Benson’s a driver in every sense. He’s a multi-dimensional forward who has quick acceleration, can handle the puck at speed and change tempos in control, can shape play by opening up his hips to go heel to heel, thrives in traffic, is a triple shot-deke-pass threat, plays one step ahead of the game in possession, supports the play effectively, problem-solves incredibly well, works hard off the puck to keep his energy up (he plays heavier and scrappier than he looks, too), and sets the pace (whether by picking it up or slowing it down to use his creativity) and effort level for his line.

He’s the kind of player who fills the stat sheet and elevates his linemates in subtle ways, while providing shockingly impressive two-way play for a smallish (about 5-foot-10 and 170 pounds) winger. Increasingly, I’ve been impressed by his agility in and out of breaks and cuts (his skating is an underrated asset and particularly impressive through his edges and crossovers, though he can get going the length of the ice, too). He’ll make plays to the inside from the perimeter on one shift, and then go right to the guts of the ice to make something happen in a congested area the next. When you package all of that skill with a dogged work ethic that keeps him around pucks all the time, you’ve got a tremendous player. If he were a little bigger, he’d be a scout’s dream. I think he’s going to be a top-of-the-lineup player regardless. And while I know the scoring hasn’t been there this year, his shooting percentage should bounce back in time and his style will lend itself to getting around the net and finishing his fair share of plays (on top of the playmaking game).

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Love Benson, season grind is taking its toll on him. Not as sharp lately. Needed to give him some games off he plays a demanding style for his age.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Food for thought for anyone wondering about Benson's production, consider these rookie years:
  • Alex Tuch 78 15/22/37 +3 (played the entire season at 21)
  • Jack Quinn 75 14/23/37 -7 (played the entire season at 21)
  • JJ Peterka 77 12/20/32 -13 (turned 21 in January)
  • Tage Thompson 41 3/6/9 -12 (turned 20 in October)
  • Sam Reinhart 79 23/19/42 -8 (turned 20 in November)
  • Casey Mittelstadt 77 12/13/25 -19 (turned 20 in November)
  • Dylan Cozens 41 4/9/13 -15 (turned 20 in February)
  • Zach Benson 55 7/14/21 -2 (played the entire season at 18)
In context, the kid has actually been remarkable.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Benson will be fine ; he was sent to the NHL a year earlier then I would have liked but he’s going to be a star and I believe if he can finish the season strong and get to 10 goals I would be absolutely thrilled and would be a great way to finish off his D+1

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Benson will be fine ; he was sent to the NHL a year earlier then I would have liked but he’s going to be a star and I believe if he can finish the season strong and get to 10 goals I would be absolutely thrilled and would be a great way to finish off his D+1
30 points won't be out of the question similar to Jack Hughes in terms of not eye popping numbers but you can see the talent is evident he will produce just a matter of when

Reactions: Dingo44

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
And here I thought the league was changing the Greenway penalty and awarding it to Benson.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
What was interesting in NHLN 3 stars of the night Benson was #2 with his 2 goals... Brayden Point was #1 with the 6-pointer of course. But hell if side-by-side Point doesn't look like he could be Zach's dad.

1710529662254.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad